Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Exams - Please Limit Discussion to Exam-Related Topics > SoA/CAS Preliminary Exams > Short-Term Actuarial Math
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Actuarial Jobs by State

New York  New Jersey  Connecticut  Massachusetts 
California  Florida  Texas  Illinois  Colorado

Short-Term Actuarial Math Old Exam C Forum

Old 01-21-2019, 10:57 PM
SOA

Studying for C
Default MLE: Shortcut vs. First Principles

In practicing on ADAPT, I did a problem to estimate the theta parameter of a Weibull. The solution reveled what I've seen in ASM, that there are helpful shortcuts for estimation of a given distribution.
However has anyone who is preparing or passed the exam here think much of the MLE problems on the exam can be accomplished from first principles without killing too much time, if I were to be mixed up on the myriad of shortcuts? In other words, are problems designed in such a way that we should always be able to complete it using first principles in reasonable time?

What do you think?
Old 01-21-2019, 11:30 PM
SOA

Studying for Exam PA
College: Capital Community College

Memorization > Understanding
Old 01-23-2019, 01:21 PM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by HealthHoncho View Post
In practicing on ADAPT, I did a problem to estimate the theta parameter of a Weibull. The solution reveled what I've seen in ASM, that there are helpful shortcuts for estimation of a given distribution.
However has anyone who is preparing or passed the exam here think much of the MLE problems on the exam can be accomplished from first principles without killing too much time, if I were to be mixed up on the myriad of shortcuts? In other words, are problems designed in such a way that we should always be able to complete it using first principles in reasonable time?

What do you think?
When I took C a few years back I didn't rely on any of the shortcuts for MLE and used first principles only. It only took a bit longer and I felt more comfortable I'd get it right. If you're fast you should have enough time. But I also employed the strategy to immediately skip any non-parametric credibility question I came across, so that saved me more time for things like MLE.
Old 01-23-2019, 02:06 PM
SOA

College: Oklahoma State

You will come across questions that have no shortcuts. You will actually have to use first principles to solve them. It is also helpful if you have extra time and want to double check your work doing it both ways.