Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Exams - Please Limit Discussion to Exam-Related Topics > SoA/CAS Preliminary Exams > Short-Term Actuarial Math
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Short-Term Actuarial Math Old Exam C Forum

Old 06-02-2011, 05:35 PM

Default Exam C

There is great youth and confidence and physical vitality implicit in this plan. The 289 problems in 2.5 days is just off the charts though. Very impressive in a full-blown mania sort of sense! LOL. Much of this depends on academic background but no matter how you cut it, quite impressive.
Old 06-02-2011, 07:19 PM

they should write about her in next actuary magazine...would like to see her pic etc..
Old 06-02-2011, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maram1 View Post
this makes me ill....I mean happy for you but I am definitely the complete opposite. I think I spent this much time on 1 topic on 1 of the exams. I passed, and it wasn't always above 8. You are a high over achiever, bravo.
Just to make you feel a little better. For those two weeks that I studied for MFE, I only hit bed 4 or 5 times (I mostly take short nap at my desk or on the coach), and ate very little to keep myself awake. It was not a pleasant two weeks and I am definitely not looking forward to do it again.
Old 06-02-2011, 09:10 PM

Quote:
they should write about her in next actuary magazine...would like to see her pic etc..
I know tons of people out there can or have done the same. I am an efficient learner, but not anyone special.
Old 06-02-2011, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajoh321 View Post
There is great youth and confidence and physical vitality implicit in this plan. The 289 problems in 2.5 days is just off the charts though. Very impressive in a full-blown mania sort of sense! LOL. Much of this depends on academic background but no matter how you cut it, quite impressive.
I do remember how much physical strength it took to finish those problems. When I say 2.5 days, it is really about 50 hours. I remember I did not sleep at all the second day, and finished my last problem at noon the next day. Back then I was quite determinant to finish all the problems in two days. I was thinking if I do not sleep, that still count as one day
Old 06-02-2011, 09:18 PM

Quote:
I think some of those folks go to stanford, get phd...become filthy rich.
First of all I dropped out a math phd program after accepting the job offer from the current company I am working for. So I know that there is no way I can be compared with the real smart people out there, both intellectually and as being a hard worker. Second.. you should NEVER go to a phd program to be rich. It is not right, and it is a waste of your school's resource and your own life.
Old 06-02-2011, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ker8 View Post
^they say that study time, but I would imagine they must have had classwork on them otherwise it's nearly impossible to pass any exam (even P) without studying.
You are right. Though I have no actuarial science background at all, but if i have never had my math education, I cannot pass any exam, even with studying.
Old 06-02-2011, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sloop John B View Post
I'd expect it to be someone who is just really gifted intellectually. The reason why instances like these are so rare in this field is that most people smart enough to pass with little/no studying have greater ambitions than actuarial.
I think actuarial career is a nature fit to my skill sets, and I love my job.. and i believe all of us feel the same!!
Old 06-02-2011, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cucubing View Post
You have to be really smart to do this. I mean "REALLY SMART".
Have you started your FA? It was fun.. because I like dogs
Old 06-02-2011, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by billlin12345 View Post
Does she really have so much time to study? Or is she just naturally smart and study VERY efficiently?
I did not have a job that summer when I prepared for C. Other than spending time gardening, I had tons of time studying.