Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Exams - Please Limit Discussion to Exam-Related Topics > SoA/CAS Preliminary Exams > Long-Term Actuarial Math
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Long-Term Actuarial Math Old Exam MLC Forum

Old 07-13-2018, 03:09 PM
SOA

College: Wabash College B.A. 1962, Stanford Ph.D. 1965
Default LTAM seminar

Friday, July 13, 2018

Now that MLC results are posted:

In case you are interested, my face-to-face LTAM exam-prep seminar starts 6 September and has sufficient enrollment to guarantee that I will teach it. I've spent several hundred hours updating my MLC seminar (and C seminar) for LTAM (and STAM, respectively) and am all set to help people get over the hump.

[Over the nearly 25 years of my seminars, seminar pass rates have averaged higher than the world-wide pass rates, and hundreds of people have e-mailed me that the seminar is what made the difference for them.]

For detailed information on the seminar, see http://www.actuarialseminars.com .
jimdaniel@actuarialseminars.com
Old 07-14-2018, 02:34 PM
SOA

Studying for LTAM
College: Georgia State University Alumni

Joining this thread hoping for the best this time around for the October sitting.
Old 07-16-2018, 10:38 AM
SOA

Studying for MLC
College: University of Utah
Favorite beer: Modelo
Default New Exam Tables

Does anyone know why on God's green earth did the SOA decide to use new tables for this exam!? The Life table is new, and its also at 5% (prior table was at 6% interest) so doing old practice problems/exams will not be as easy/quick as ripping values off a table to use. This is so annoying
Old 07-16-2018, 01:16 PM
SOA

College: Wabash College B.A. 1962, Stanford Ph.D. 1965

Quote:
Originally Posted by lcuandon View Post
Does anyone know why on God's green earth did the SOA decide to use new tables for this exam!? The Life table is new, and its also at 5% (prior table was at 6% interest) so doing old practice problems/exams will not be as easy/quick as ripping values off a table to use. This is so annoying
That puzzles me as well, so far as the tables for single and multiple lives are concerned. But just use the old tables on old exam questions and the new tables on the LTAM Sample exam questions.
jimdaniel@actuarialseminars.com
Old 07-16-2018, 01:53 PM
SOA

Studying for MLC
College: University of Utah
Favorite beer: Modelo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Daniel View Post
That puzzles me as well, so far as the tables for single and multiple lives are concerned. But just use the old tables on old exam questions and the new tables on the LTAM Sample exam questions.
Yeah, I get that. But why would I want to practice using 2 diff life tables? Especially when on is laid out Portrait mode and the other Landscape? Isnt the point of practicing to do what you would do on exam day? There are people on here harping about using the built in Normal CDF calculator for MFE in order ti get used to it on game day but now I we have to juggle 2 tables to practice? and why in the hell would you change the interest rate assumption???????????! that's mostly what irks me
Old 07-16-2018, 05:27 PM
Non-Actuary

College: Angelo State University

Quote:
Yeah, I get that. But why would I want to practice using 2 diff life tables? Especially when on is laid out Portrait mode and the other Landscape? Isnt the point of practicing to do what you would do on exam day? There are people on here harping about using the built in Normal CDF calculator for MFE in order ti get used to it on game day but now I we have to juggle 2 tables to practice? and why in the hell would you change the interest rate assumption???????????! that's mostly what irks me
Breathe.
Old 07-16-2018, 08:18 PM
SOA AAA

Quote:
They've updated the tables in the new sample questions, so you don't need the old Illustrative Life Tables.

I have no idea why they switched, but possible reasons are:
(1) The mortality in the ILT is outdated and much too high. And interest rates have come down as well.
(2) Cambridge University Press finally conceded that there would be no copyright violation in using their table.

Last edited by Abraham Weishaus; 07-17-2018 at 09:27 AM..
Old 07-16-2018, 10:05 PM
SOA

Studying for LTAM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master_of_my_domain View Post
Exciting to see the people that got good news today on the Spring MLC thread. Definitely motivating! Started studying this week and about to finish up Survival models in the CA manual.

How's everyone else doing? Anyone else using the CA bundle?
I'm also using the CA bundle. Where you at?
Old 07-16-2018, 11:34 PM
SOA

Tried the CA trial manual and really liking how concise it is, so I will be using this manual. This will be my first exam in 2 years since C in 2016. Time to get back on the grind.
Old 07-17-2018, 09:36 AM
SOA

Studying for PA, LTAM, FA (FAP)
College: Swarthmore College (BA Mathematics), Villanova University (MS Applied Stat)
Favorite beer: I don't drink beer, but I love the Dos Equis commercials.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TranceBrah View Post
Tried the CA trial manual and really liking how concise it is, so I will be using this manual. This will be my first exam in 2 years since C in 2016. Time to get back on the grind.
In the event you want my opinion, CA is really good if you are mathematically strong--which I assume you are--and have a good grasp of the material. I assume the trial at least gave you Section 1.2, which introduces actuarial notation. If you are comfortable with actuarial notation, you have mastered the largest learning learning curve LTAM throws at us. In this case, I recommend CA since it is--as you said--concise and you can finish it much quicker than ASM. If you got Section 2 (Insurance) and were good, definitely continue with CA.

On the other hand, Coach Weishaus' ASM manuals are thorough, detailed and expertly written. They are also terrific! I recommend ASM if you want a huge selection of examples, practice quizzes, sample exams and end-of-chapter exercises. ASM offers many problems while you read, which I missed the most after switching to CA. The depth of Mr. Weishaus' work is unmatched. I received 8 and 9 on MFE and C first tries, respectively using ASM, but likely over-studied. Use ASM if you are finding LTAM challenging or need the extra practice.

My little reviews do not take cost into consideration, but ASM is slightly more expensive--which it should be because it gives you more content. I would always use ADAPT regardless of the manual you choose. I'm not sure I'm telling you anything new, since it seems you are already comfortable with CA. Both CA and ASM are awesome products, and the best one depends on one's needs and time.

I wish you and everyone best of luck!

VEE: Statistics | Finance | Economics

FAP: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | IA | 6 | 7 | FA

Conferences: APC