Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Exams - Please Limit Discussion to Exam-Related Topics > SoA/CAS Preliminary Exams > Short-Term Actuarial Math
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Search Actuarial Jobs by State @ DWSimpson.com:
AL AK AR AZ CA CO CT DE FL GA HI ID IL IN IA KS KY LA
ME MD MA MI MN MS MO MT NE NH NJ NM NY NV NC ND
OH OK OR PA RI SC SD TN TX UT VT VA WA WV WI WY

Short-Term Actuarial Math Old Exam C Forum

Old 02-11-2019, 11:56 PM
SOA

Studying for Exam C

Test wasn't as bad as i thought. Guessed on 5/6.
Old 02-12-2019, 01:00 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by BelayMeMaybe View Post
Congrats! Good to hear you feel confident - mind sharing your EL? Sounds like you found the exam itself to be about a 6?
Mine is 7.8. It's hard to say what the exact level of the exam was, but I spent most of my time doing customized exams at level 6 and that worked for me. The majority of exam questions were similar to what I'd been practicing.

Best of luck to you!
Old 02-12-2019, 01:04 PM
SOA

Studying for MLC
College: University of Utah
Favorite beer: Modelo
Default Not too bad

The exam was underwhelming. If you can do a solid level 5 ADAPT exam and understand the basics enough to interpret questions worded in an unfamiliar way, you'll be ok.
Old 02-12-2019, 09:27 PM
SOA

I took it Friday and had the opposite experience. I thought I was prepared, 6.3 EL, could do solid level 5 exams but the exam threw me multiple surprises I struggled with. Might have gotten unlucky, not sure if anyone else felt the same way.
Old 02-12-2019, 10:26 PM
SOA

College: Florida State University

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sader View Post
I took it Friday and had the opposite experience. I thought I was prepared, 6.3 EL, could do solid level 5 exams but the exam threw me multiple surprises I struggled with. Might have gotten unlucky, not sure if anyone else felt the same way.

I took it in October and failed, couldn't even pass a level 5 exam at that point and got a 5 on the real thing......
Maybe you were just nervous and thought it was more difficult than it really was, unless they really upped the difficulty since the last sitting.
Old 02-12-2019, 11:46 PM
SOA

We’ll see but guessed on 8 of them and had no time to review. Definitely prepared for a fat 5 on the transcript
Old 02-13-2019, 01:30 AM
SOA

College: University of Louisville Alumni

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sader View Post
Weíll see but guessed on 8 of them and had no time to review. Definitely prepared for a fat 5 on the transcript
You're probably fine- you only need 23 right answers. Plus, given that they're new, I think it's more likely you guessed on pilot questions. There's always uncertainty and I understand keeping expectations low, but you should feel good about those odds. Congrats!
Old 02-14-2019, 04:50 AM
SOA

College: Central Michigan University Alumni
Favorite beer: Two-Hearted Ale

4.4 EL going into the exam... grinding through some quizzes on the sections I'm doing poorly on until the exam at 8a. Prepared to see that 4 or 5 in a couple months, but hoping I am graced with questions I'm good at
Old 02-14-2019, 12:43 PM
SOA

Studying for C

Quote:
Originally Posted by BelayMeMaybe View Post
You're probably fine- you only need 23 right answers. Plus, given that they're new, I think it's more likely you guessed on pilot questions. There's always uncertainty and I understand keeping expectations low, but you should feel good about those odds. Congrats!
Where do you get 23 correct from? I saw that the pass mark on the last 3 sittings of C/STAM was 67% which means needing 24 correct. Is there something I don’t know here?
I just finished. Not sure how to feel. There were many that I could do and felt confident on. But in the end I still ended up guessing on more than I cared for. I’m feeling pessimistic about my attempt.

I never considered until now that one or two questions will equate to a point on the transcript. 50% is required to get above a 0. And 24 correct will give you a passing 6, if the mark is 67%. So the score range of 1-5 means you got from 18-23 correct if I’m not mistaken. Almost equates to one point per correct answer. But who knows how the distribution of scores works once the announcement is made?

Last edited by HealthHoncho; 02-14-2019 at 01:03 PM..
Old 02-14-2019, 05:55 PM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by HealthHoncho View Post
Where do you get 23 correct from? I saw that the pass mark on the last 3 sittings of C/STAM was 67% which means needing 24 correct. Is there something I donít know here?
I just finished. Not sure how to feel. There were many that I could do and felt confident on. But in the end I still ended up guessing on more than I cared for. Iím feeling pessimistic about my attempt.

I never considered until now that one or two questions will equate to a point on the transcript. 50% is required to get above a 0. And 24 correct will give you a passing 6, if the mark is 67%. So the score range of 1-5 means you got from 18-23 correct if Iím not mistaken. Almost equates to one point per correct answer. But who knows how the distribution of scores works once the announcement is made?
I believe a 0 means less than 50% of the passing score, not a 50% on the exam. A 5 would be 90% of the passing score, then 4 being 80% of the passing score. ect.