Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Exams - Please Limit Discussion to Exam-Related Topics > SoA/CAS Preliminary Exams > Long-Term Actuarial Math
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Browse Open Actuarial Jobs

Life  Health  Casualty  Pension  Entry Level  All Jobs  Salaries

Long-Term Actuarial Math Old Exam MLC Forum

Old 01-03-2019, 02:40 PM
CAS SOA

College: Drake University

Quote:
Originally Posted by Actuarial Brewski View Post
Could anyone post the suggested study scheduled form Coaching Actuaries? Thinking about going for this sitting and using CA or trying to do PA.
See the attached. Let me know if you have any questions!
Attached Files
File Type: xlsx ltam_schedule (Spring 2019).xlsx (409.5 KB, 550 views)
Old 01-03-2019, 03:34 PM
SOA

College: Bellarmine University Alumni

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkt View Post
See the attached. Let me know if you have any questions!
Thanks a ton, super helpful!
APC
Old 01-04-2019, 08:43 AM
CAS

College: 1st year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chappy View Post
Anybody else planning on using the last ASM MLC manual to study for this?
I am!

I'm also using TIA, but TIA tends to skim a little and focus on the test-taking part whereas ASM tends to go deeper into the proofs and theories.
Old 01-04-2019, 10:02 AM
James Washer / Notes Contributor
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outsanity View Post
I'm also using TIA, but TIA tends to skim a little and focus on the test-taking part whereas ASM tends to go deeper into the proofs and theories.
Thanks for the feedback. Can you please give an example of this? I've flipped through the ASM manual and I didn't see anything that I don't cover in great detail.

I've worked every published exam in the last 10 years and I haven't seen a single problem that was not covered in my course. I'm not trying to be confrontational, but I genuinely don't know why people say this about my course. I will happily add stuff to the course if it is needed, but I don't want to waste students time with stuff that will not help them pass.

We help people pass actuarial exams.

Follow us on Twitter, Facebook, and LinkedIn.

Old 01-04-2019, 07:29 PM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bama Gambler View Post
Thanks for the feedback. Can you please give an example of this? I've flipped through the ASM manual and I didn't see anything that I don't cover in great detail.

I've worked every published exam in the last 10 years and I haven't seen a single problem that was not covered in my course. I'm not trying to be confrontational, but I genuinely don't know why people say this about my course. I will happily add stuff to the course if it is needed, but I don't want to waste students time with stuff that will not help them pass.
Hi!

Please don't take offense to my words or take it to mean that the TIA course is not good/detailed or not covering enough! I used TIA for 3/4 of the exams I passed, so I can definitely cast a vote of confidence for TIA.

I only mean that TIA tend to focus on more on what is likely to be tested and focused on streamlining the material so students are passing the exam efficiently, whereas ASM tends to delve into proofs and formula derivation every chance they get. ASM also has tons of extra end-of-chapter problems geared toward understanding the material as opposed to exam-problem-solving focus that TIA has.
Old 01-04-2019, 08:51 PM
SOA

Quote:
Hi!

Please don't take offense to my words or take it to mean that the TIA course is not good/detailed or not covering enough! I used TIA for 3/4 of the exams I passed, so I can definitely cast a vote of confidence for TIA.

I only mean that TIA tend to focus on more on what is likely to be tested and focused on streamlining the material so students are passing the exam efficiently, whereas ASM tends to delve into proofs and formula derivation every chance they get. ASM also has tons of extra end-of-chapter problems geared toward understanding the material as opposed to exam-problem-solving focus that TIA has.
Isn't the goal to pass the exam?
Old 01-05-2019, 02:08 PM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by IacceptTheTerms View Post
Isn't the goal to pass the exam?
Exactly.
Old 01-05-2019, 11:12 PM
James Washer / Notes Contributor
SOA

Quote:
Hi!

Thanks! Sometimes we go into more detail on the forums if a student is curious about a certain topic. But I always encourage students to focus on preparing for the exam and not get side tracked until after the exam.

We help people pass actuarial exams.

Follow us on Twitter, Facebook, and LinkedIn.

Old 01-07-2019, 02:41 PM
SOA

Anyone know of any in person seminars for this? I'm aware of the Jim Daniels one, but am trying to find some to compare when deciding whether to do something like this.
Old 01-21-2019, 01:57 PM
SOA

Studying for MLC
College: University of Michigan

I'm getting confused as to what we have to derive from first principles for the beta distribution and what formulas we are allowed to use.

For example, question 5.12 ASM (13th edition maybe?) has a survival function of a beta distribution and gives you the force of mortality and the complete future life time. They ask you to calculate what the exponent of the beta distribution is.

In the solution, they use the fact that it is a beta distribution and skip right to r/(w-y) for force of morality and (w-y)/(r+1) for future life time. Are we allowed to use these formulas on the test? I thought I read somewhere that you need to derive all formulas for beta.

What happens on a test if you use a formula that isn't given but and you arrive at the right answer? For this question, it is much faster to use these formulas and if it is just a one point deduction then I think I would rather take that hit and continue on the test than to spend 5 minutes deriving the formulas.
FSA Mods: FE PRF ERM

Favorite Beer: M-43