Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Exams - Please Limit Discussion to Exam-Related Topics > SoA/CAS Preliminary Exams > Short-Term Actuarial Math
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Upload your resume securely at https://www.dwsimpson.com
to be contacted when our jobs meet your skills and objectives.

Short-Term Actuarial Math Old Exam C Forum

Old 01-15-2019, 02:22 PM
SOA

Studying for Exam PA
College: Capital Community College

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShundayBloodyShunday View Post
Why is something that was hard for you automatically hard for everyone else?
If you're failing exams multiple times because you used a non-CA resource, you're probably not that smart and should use CA.

CA explains the material so that everyone, even the most academically weak people, can understand. No other study material does it.

Yes, there are people with 150+ IQs that can understand TIA and ASM, but just because those resources worked for them doesn't mean they'll work on average and below-average people.

The way I see it, lower ability people should only use CA while higher ability people can do fine with any resource.
Old 01-15-2019, 03:07 PM
CAS

I don't think you're winning too many over with that line of reasoning.

YMMV
Old 01-15-2019, 03:18 PM
SOA

Favorite beer: All of the above

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShundayBloodyShunday View Post
I don't think you're winning too many over with that line of reasoning.

YMMV

there's an obvious trade off of detail for concision with CA. If anything I would think ASM would be better if you're not as comfortable with the material, because it leaves no stone unturned. CA on the other hand tends to explain in the shortest/easiest way possible to get the points across that are needed for the exam, but sometimes leaves out the nitty gritty detail that may be useful for conceptual understanding but not necessarily useful for the exam itself.
Both are good, choice just depends on study style.
Old 01-15-2019, 07:25 PM
Wiki/Note Contributor
CAS

Studying for ACAS
College: Hard Knocks
Favorite beer: Most German dark lagers

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotSmart View Post
If you're failing exams multiple times because you used a non-CA resource, you're probably not that smart and should use CA.

CA explains the material so that everyone, even the most academically weak people, can understand. No other study material does it.

Yes, there are people with 150+ IQs that can understand TIA and ASM, but just because those resources worked for them doesn't mean they'll work on average and below-average people.

The way I see it, lower ability people should only use CA while higher ability people can do fine with any resource.
If you failed an Exam multiple times and then use a different manual and pass, there is more at work than just a new manual.

Sample size of N = 1 isn't sufficient to generalize a result to a broader population.

But congrats on passing. And good luck on your next Exam.

Why should I worry about dying? Its not going to happen in my lifetime!

Freedom of speech is not a license to discourtesy

#BLACKMATTERLIVES
Old 01-16-2019, 08:27 PM
SOA

Studying for Exam PA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vorian Atreides View Post
If you failed an Exam multiple times and then use a different manual and pass, there is more at work than just a new manual.

Sample size of N = 1 isn't sufficient to generalize a result to a broader population.

But congrats on passing. And good luck on your next Exam.
So what else could it be?
Old 01-18-2019, 10:01 AM
SOA

Favorite beer: All of the above

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotSmart View Post
So what else could it be?
Improvement of study habits, better mental state when writing the exam, the fact the you've studied for that same exams multiple times... to name a few
Old 01-18-2019, 10:13 AM
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
SOA

Unless Im mistaken, someone who has studied for STAM or even P should be able to calculate the probability of n failures then a success, assuming independence, assuming the probability of success on the first n was x% each time, and x%-5% on the last, and get a nonzero result (in terms of x and n).

From that, I hope that should that sequence result, the student would not conclude that the study resource the last time must give a 5% lower probability of passing, on the grounds of what else could it be?
Old 01-18-2019, 10:28 AM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandalf View Post
Unless Im mistaken, someone who has studied for STAM or even P should be able to calculate the probability of n failures then a success, assuming independence, assuming the probability of success on the first n was x% each time, and x%-5% on the last, and get a nonzero result (in terms of x and n).

From that, I hope that should that sequence result, the student would not conclude that the study resource the last time must give a 5% lower probability of passing, on the grounds of what else could it be?
WRT the bolded: I think it's more of a function of the person remembering the material from the respective exams and applying it w/o "being told to apply it".

I.e., they have (truly) mastered the material. This later can be aided by study guides, but it is up to the individual to do the real work on obtaining the mastery.
Old 01-18-2019, 10:44 AM
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
SOA

True dat. Independence would be a bad assumption. But in response to "what else could it be?" it is relevant to point out that an observed success on the n+1st trial is not proof that the chances of passing on that trial were any higher than on the earlier trials and could even have been worse. They could even have been worse, if the new study manual was worse. I am in no way suggesting that the new study manual was worse, just that eventual pass is not proof it was better or even as good.
Old 01-18-2019, 10:45 AM
SOA

Studying for Exam PA

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaudettj View Post
Improvement of study habits, better mental state when writing the exam, the fact the you've studied for that same exams multiple times... to name a few
Maybe, but how do you explain the 3 consecutive 0s?
If studying for the same exam multiple times should have helped me, then shouldn't my record be something like 0 --> 3 --> 5 --> 8 instead of 0 --> 0 --> 0 --> 8?