Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Exams - Please Limit Discussion to Exam-Related Topics > SoA/CAS Preliminary Exams > General
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

DW Simpson International Actuarial Jobs
Canada  Asia  Australia  Bermuda  Latin America  Europe

Old 10-06-2017, 05:11 AM
SOA

College: ECU
Default Accountant (CPA) to Associate Actuary

Any accountants (CPA) or (Chartered) who have made the switch from accounting to actuary mainly for pure enjoyment, its more interesting, and in the sphere of management accounting there is a lot of crossover with forecasting and costing techniques. I can get some VEE credit for applied finance and accounting from SOA.

I am a bit surprised why they require qualified CPA accountant to do a FM CBT exam because it appears closely related to post graduate accounting exams that any of the major international accounting bodies would require.

I realise I made a huge mistake by choosing to do exam P rather that FM first (have not attempted exam FM). I think also MFE would be easier than Exam P for accountants and I have tutored MBA's on Finance units like swaps / derivatives etc.

I failed the first attempt at Exam P (nerves, tiredness and spending too much time on questions that I thought was very easy) even though I feel I understand the material.

Would be interested in hearing about any accountants who have chosen to make the cross over from accounting to actuarial science?
Old 10-06-2017, 07:28 AM
SOA

Favorite beer: Corona :)

The finance you study during an MBA is not really comparable to what is in the Actuarial exams.
Old 10-07-2017, 08:59 AM
SOA

College: ECU

yeah I know from looking at the syllabus but in the MFE unit there are some topics covered in the Australian CPA Financial Risk Management unit (2009) and I am talking about a very small portion of the overall syllabus.

Sorry, don't get the random quote added at the end about "stupidity".
Old 10-07-2017, 09:56 AM
SOA

Favorite beer: Corona :)

That's my signature. It reflects the current state of the US, UK, and Spain right now.

Tags
accounting, accounting vs actuary, cpa