Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > General Actuarial
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Search Actuarial Jobs by State @ DWSimpson.com:
AL AK AR AZ CA CO CT DE FL GA HI ID IL IN IA KS KY LA
ME MD MA MI MN MS MO MT NE NH NJ NM NY NV NC ND
OH OK OR PA RI SC SD TN TX UT VT VA WA WV WI WY

General Actuarial Non-Specific Actuarial Topics - Before posting a thread, please browse over our other sections to see if there is a better fit, such as Careers - Employment, Actuarial Science Universities Forum or any of our other 100+ forums.

Old 01-15-2018, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maphisto's Sidekick View Post
For P&C work:

FCAS >> FSA-GI
ACAS > FSA-GI

...but depending on the circumstances, FSA-other + experience might >= ACAS.

Not having FCAS will put you at a competitive disadvantage career-wise on the P&C side. It is possible to have a good career as a career ACAS, particularly if you bring something else to the table skills/experience-wise, and I've known enough FSA's working in P&C to believe they're in a similar or maybe slightly better position...but they have to explain their background a little more than an FCAS/ACAS.

I would say that the question of whether to go for -GI or for ACAS depends on why you want the credential.

Are you doing it for the practice rights? In the US at least, your FSA plus supervised experience gets you practice rights - no need for more exams.

Are you doing it to get a broader background in P&C general knowledge beyond what you expect to pick up in your first P&C job? The GI exams are probably sufficient to get you a basic understanding, but taking a few CAS exams will do the same and set you up to go for a credential should you decide you want one. (Plus your employer is more likely to reimburse CAS exams and provide on-the-clock study time.)

And, of course, if you want to be as marketable a candidate for future P&C jobs as possible, an ACAS or FCAS is expected.
This was very useful. I'd be doing it to get a broader background in P/C general knowledge beyond the work I'd do in P/C. Having worked in Life, I know that not all (hardly any actually on some days) the exam knowledge is used in your day-to-day work, so doing some sort of formal studying is good to get some background/general knowledge of the industry.
Old 01-15-2018, 09:26 PM
CAS

Studying for Exam 9
Favorite beer: Asahi Draft

Also, I think many employers would only pay for your due to only one organization. So you'd have to pay out of pocket to keep both letters or stop using one if you decide to do ACAS or FCAS on top of FSA. Kinda tricky if you have to choose between FSA and ACAS haha
Old 01-16-2018, 12:05 AM
CAS

College: Ardnox
Favorite beer: The kind with alcohol

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastcount View Post
This was very useful. I'd be doing it to get a broader background in P/C general knowledge beyond the work I'd do in P/C. Having worked in Life, I know that not all (hardly any actually on some days) the exam knowledge is used in your day-to-day work, so doing some sort of formal studying is good to get some background/general knowledge of the industry.
I'd say then that checking out the readings on the CAS syllabus would be a good place to start.

Whether you extend that to actually sitting for the exams would be up to your own personal view of investing that time/effort versus non-professional priorities you might have.
Old 01-16-2018, 12:42 AM
CAS

College: Ardnox
Favorite beer: The kind with alcohol

One additional thought:

If you're looking for "general background in property/casualty actuarial work", then actuarial exam syllabi are the way to go. The material on the mid- to upper-level CAS exams is the common base of information that we're all supposed to have (but which we forget, when it's in areas we don't actively use).

However, if you're looking for "general background in property/casualty insurance", take a look at what's covered on the CPCU exams. That material won't give you the knowledge of the different basic reserve-development methods, but it does shed light on the products we support, the general regulatory environment, etc.

My intent is not to discourage you from CAS or even SOA-GI exams. However, I'm a career ACAS whose exam progress was stopped due to real life imposing other demands on my time. I'm somewhat empathetic to the desire to learn more competing with not having the time/energy/masochism to squeeze in a few more actuarial exams.
Old 01-16-2018, 10:43 AM
CAS AAA

Favorite beer: Alpha King

At least two FSA-GI's, and there are only like 10 of them, struggled mightily with CAS upper level exams and couldn't get past the ACAS level. They easily obtained (not even going to use attained) the FSA-GI.

Certainly a much easier, watered down version with very little traction currently in the US.