Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > General Actuarial
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Salary Surveys
Property & Casualty, Life, Health & Pension

Health Actuary Jobs
Insurance & Consulting jobs for Students, Associates & Fellows

Actuarial Recruitment
Visit DW Simpson's website for more info.
www.dwsimpson.com/about

Casualty Jobs
Property & Casualty jobs for Students, Associates & Fellows

General Actuarial Non-Specific Actuarial Topics - Before posting a thread, please browse over our other sections to see if there is a better fit, such as Careers - Employment, Actuarial Science Universities Forum or any of our other 100+ forums.

Old 01-20-2018, 09:57 PM
Non-Actuary

Question What is a "fully generational" projection?

I am a non-actuary and don't aspire to become an actuary (no disrespect), but I came across the description below and I'm trying to understand it better--could someone explain? I understand the basics of how projections to a certain year work, but what does "fully generational" mean?

"Mortality determined using the sex-distinct UP-1994 Mortality Table with Projection scale AA to 2012 and then fully generational thereafter using scale AA."

Thanks in advance.
Old 01-20-2018, 11:10 PM

You might get better answers in the Life forum. I posted this: http://www.actuarialoutpost.com/actu...47#post9218647
Old 01-21-2018, 01:00 AM
Non-Actuary

This is a Pension related question actually.
Old 01-21-2018, 01:57 PM
Carol Marler
Non-Actuary

Studying for Nothing actuarial.

It means, in effect, that the mortality improvement factors vary by both age grouping and year of birth grouping. (I don't know how fine the grouping is, whether it's every year/age, or groups of 5, 10, or even longer.)

Pluto is no longer a planet and I am no longer an actuary. Please take my opinions as non-actuarial.

My latest favorite quotes, updated Apr 5, 2018.

Spoiler:
I should keep these four permanently.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rekrap View Post
JMO is right
Quote:
Originally Posted by campbell View Post
I agree with JMO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westley View Post
And def agree w/ JMO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MG View Post
This. And everything else JMO wrote.
And this all purpose permanent quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr T Non-Fan View Post
Yup, it is always someone else's fault.
MORE:
All purpose response for careers forum:
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorNo View Post
Depends upon the employer and the situation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sredni Vashtar View Post
I feel like ERM is 90% buzzwords, and that the underlying agenda is to make sure at least one of your Corporate Officers is not dumb.
Old 01-21-2018, 03:55 PM
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by m929m485 View Post
I am a non-actuary and don't aspire to become an actuary (no disrespect), but I came across the description below and I'm trying to understand it better--could someone explain? I understand the basics of how projections to a certain year work, but what does "fully generational" mean?

"Mortality determined using the sex-distinct UP-1994 Mortality Table with Projection scale AA to 2012 and then fully generational thereafter using scale AA."

Thanks in advance.
Where does the description occur?

Fully generational should mean that the mortality rate depends on both the attained age and the calendar year in which the mortality rate applies. The quoted construction seems a little strange, unless it is being applied to some mortality in years before 2012 (in which case I would interpret is as saying use 2012 mortality rates in years before 2012 but mortality rates projected to year x for years after 2012.)
Old 01-22-2018, 09:33 AM
Non-Actuary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandalf View Post
Where does the description occur?

Fully generational should mean that the mortality rate depends on both the attained age and the calendar year in which the mortality rate applies. The quoted construction seems a little strange, unless it is being applied to some mortality in years before 2012 (in which case I would interpret is as saying use 2012 mortality rates in years before 2012 but mortality rates projected to year x for years after 2012.)
99.99% certain this is a pension valuation.

The Pension Protection Act introduced static projections of mortality tables for private pensions in 2008 (7 years past the val date for inactives and 15 for actives) and some public pensions started using them around the same time. The shift to fully generational mortality is still ongoing in the public pension space. I can't remember if the IRS has required a shift to fully generational or if they still require the static projection.

Old 01-22-2018, 09:44 AM
Non-Actuary

Quote:
Originally Posted by m929m485 View Post

Thanks in advance.
In this case, Gandalf's description is accurate.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandalf View Post
Fully generational should mean that the mortality rate depends on both the attained age and the calendar year in which the mortality rate applies.
For a little more detail, UP-1994 is the base mortality table and is assumed to apply to deaths that occur in a base year (we'll call it 1994 since I can't remember the actual year). Scale AA provides a scale to improve mortality (i.e. fewer deaths) to the rates in the table as years progress. This description is basically saying that mortality improvements are applied from the base year to 2012 for 2012 and any years prior in the valuation. For 2013 and beyond, mortality is assumed to improve each year based on applying scale AA so age 65 mortality is lower in 2014, than in 2013, which is lower than in 2012 and future mortality is assumed to improve accordingly for the remainder of the years in the projection.

Tags
mortality, mortality improvement, mortality projection, scale aa