Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Careers - Employment
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

DW Simpson Global Actuarial & Analytics Recruitment
Download our 2017 Actuarial Salary Survey
now with state-by-state salary information!

Old 02-06-2018, 03:35 PM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colonel Smoothie View Post
I usually have an answer in mind when I post questions like this, but I want to see different perspectives. Sometimes I simply want to see how people will react.

I was aiming to see if anyone would start generalising to the more common situation of needing to hire someone outside of your domain or expertise for subject X, but I guess that didn't happen.
My initial thought was that that was your intention.
Old 02-06-2018, 04:17 PM
SOA

Studying for G&H Specialty

Quote:
I was aiming to see if anyone would start generalising to the more common situation of needing to hire someone outside of your domain or expertise for subject X, but I guess that didn't happen.
In a previous professional life, I had to hire a team of developers to create a mobile application. There are a lot of things that made that situation different than what you're describing: they were students, it was for a short-term project, and there was a "learning experience" aspect to it. But I similarly had no expertise in software development (my background was in finance/consulting) and was going to be managing their team.

I asked a friend of our organization who was an experienced developer to sit in on interviews with me. For the interviews, we asked them to bring the code from a project they had worked on and been proud of, and asked them to walk us through it. My concern was that the candidates could communicate their work effectively to a non-expert, and my colleague focused more on the quality of their work and ability level.

Out of five hires, I ended up with one dud, two that were fine, and two that were excellent. With an imperfect hiring process like that, I wouldn't be surprised to see a similar distribution if I were to do it over again.
Old 02-06-2018, 06:09 PM
Non-Actuary

Quote:
I have a question for you. When a claim happens, it's typically handled by multiple parties, even multiple companies who each do their part to verify that the provisions in the indemnification contract between insured and insurer are satisfied, from the point of occurrence to settlement.

As a result, each party gets paid, passing on the expense to the insured via higher premiums.

This is the type of problem that blockchain tech aims to solve and disintermediate.

Why shouldn't we, as members of a profession that like to brand ourselves as leaders within our industry, be the ones who are the main drivers of developing and implementing these new technologies?
Uniquely qualified
Old 02-06-2018, 06:54 PM
Revered
CAS AAA

Studying for the Beach
Favorite beer: Carib

Quote:
I usually have an answer in mind when I post questions like this, but I want to see different perspectives. Sometimes I simply want to see how people will react.

So just to be clear you posted a question that was really not your real question but an attempt to see how people would react? And, apparently, also, an attempt to ask a different question hidden in your initial question...about hiring outside of your expertise?

I have that right?
curls for the girls

Spoiler:

]
Old 02-06-2018, 07:16 PM

Quote:
I have a question for you. When a claim happens, it's typically handled by multiple parties, even multiple companies who each do their part to verify that the provisions in the indemnification contract between insured and insurer are satisfied, from the point of occurrence to settlement.

As a result, each party gets paid, passing on the expense to the insured via higher premiums.

This is the type of problem that blockchain tech aims to solve and disintermediate.

Why shouldn't we, as members of a profession that like to brand ourselves as leaders within our industry, be the ones who are the main drivers of developing and implementing these new technologies?
because you are an actuary.
Old 02-07-2018, 10:52 AM
SOA

Favorite beer: Kwak

Why shouldn't we, as members of a profession that like to brand ourselves as leaders within our industry, handle claims adjusting?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathmajor View Post
you are a visionary
Old 02-07-2018, 11:10 AM
Carol Marler
Non-Actuary

Studying for Nothing actuarial.

Quote:

OK, I totally missed the point of your original question. And, on the life side, things are not quite so complicated regarding claims. So for SOA types, my answer may still stand. But this raises a couple more questions:
1. Why is block chain better than other forms of process management techniques for dealing with this kind of thing??
2. How does a person prepare for a job as a blockchain developer? Are there college classes, perhaps in the computer science curriculums? Are there online courses? And are there certifications?

Quote:
3. Just because of some branding campaigns, do you really think that actuaries are leaders in our industry?

Pluto is no longer a planet and I am no longer an actuary. Please take my opinions as non-actuarial.

My latest favorite quotes, updated Apr 5, 2018.

Spoiler:
I should keep these four permanently.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rekrap View Post
JMO is right
Quote:
Originally Posted by campbell View Post
I agree with JMO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westley View Post
And def agree w/ JMO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MG View Post
This. And everything else JMO wrote.
And this all purpose permanent quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr T Non-Fan View Post
Yup, it is always someone else's fault.
MORE:
All purpose response for careers forum:
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorNo View Post
Depends upon the employer and the situation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sredni Vashtar View Post
I feel like ERM is 90% buzzwords, and that the underlying agenda is to make sure at least one of your Corporate Officers is not dumb.
Old 02-07-2018, 12:09 PM

I mean, I think actuaries often take positions of leaderships, and often provide leadership in several areas.

But not technology. Actuaries are not leaders in technology.
The most important thing I have learned from the career forum is that the gurus in this field and keepers of supreme knowledge regarding all matters pertaining to the actuarial profession are unlettered actuarial students with < 5 years of experience.
Old 02-07-2018, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neutral Omen View Post
Why shouldn't we, as members of a profession that like to brand ourselves as leaders within our industry, handle claims adjusting?
I cackled!
The most important thing I have learned from the career forum is that the gurus in this field and keepers of supreme knowledge regarding all matters pertaining to the actuarial profession are unlettered actuarial students with < 5 years of experience.