Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > General Actuarial
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Upload your resume securely at https://www.dwsimpson.com
to be contacted when our jobs meet your skills and objectives.

General Actuarial Non-Specific Actuarial Topics - Before posting a thread, please browse over our other sections to see if there is a better fit, such as Careers - Employment, Actuarial Science Universities Forum or any of our other 100+ forums.

Old 02-07-2018, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z3ta View Post
You compare me to someone who thinks the earth is flat because I've used preliminary exam concepts heavily while working as an actuary and believe the exams could do a better job of producing candidates that notice and apply these concepts on the job?
It's almost like you assumed that the earth is flat and managed to conclude that the earth is flat. And also have absurdly bad reading comprehension.
Old 02-08-2018, 07:16 AM
SOA

Studying for Done with exams.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colonel Smoothie View Post
and was rumored to have taken MLC (and its past equivalent) over 25 consecutive sittings.
geez...
Old 02-08-2018, 09:52 AM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z3ta View Post
You compare me to someone who thinks the earth is flat because I've used preliminary exam concepts heavily while working as an actuary and believe the exams could do a better job of producing candidates that notice and apply these concepts on the job?
I am curious about what you're saying. Would you mind letting us know what concepts you've heavily used and in what context, as well as what field you're working in?

Having had just a few different jobs in P&C and health, my experience doesn't approach "using preliminary exam concepts heavily," so I'm curious about your experience.
Old 02-08-2018, 11:03 AM
CAS

Studying for 2018 Las Vegas NABC

It took me four tries to pass the CAS reserving exam. It was the first upper level exam I took, and it was not long before an exam transition in the year 2000. I decided on this so that if i didn't pass on the first try (Fall 1998), I would get a second shot at it (Fall 1999).

I was used to great success and coasted through the lower-level mathematical exams, but on my first try I only got a 1. On the second try I got the dreaded 5. Then with the transition I think the accounting piece was moved elsewhere and reinsurance added, something like that, so I was only familiar with half of the content. So I got another 5 before passing on the fourth attempt.

I know that isn't setting any records, but it was extremely annoying. Ratemaking took me two tries and the other ACAS exam was two or three tries.

You make known to me the path of life; you will fill me with joy in your presence, with eternal pleasures at your right hand. (Psalm 16:11)
Old 02-08-2018, 11:07 AM
CAS

Studying for 2018 Las Vegas NABC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westley View Post
Was the old CAS 4B ... I didn't even think it was a hard exam.
I liked 4B. A co-worker and I compared our answers after than exam and he determined that my score was exactly 0.25 points higher than his. I passed and he failed.

You make known to me the path of life; you will fill me with joy in your presence, with eternal pleasures at your right hand. (Psalm 16:11)
Old 02-13-2018, 02:03 PM
CAS

YouTube

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westley View Post
Fact: When somebody starts out their statement with "Fact", it is not a fact, nor is it likely to be true.

I don't think things would change much if the prelims were replaced with a set of Sodukos cross sums, logic problems, and similar puzzle book stuff.
Fizzbuzz imo
Old 02-17-2018, 10:42 AM

I know someone who got ACAS after something like 12 attempts on an exam(Part 6), nearly all of them 5s, and another who years earlier took 10 or 12 times to get 3A(the old statsitics exam).

Personally I think there is some number of consecutive 5s that should merit you a pass. There's no way that person doesn't know the material better than a person who sat once and got a 6.
Old 02-17-2018, 01:45 PM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loner View Post
I know someone who got ACAS after something like 12 attempts on an exam(Part 6), nearly all of them 5s, and another who years earlier took 10 or 12 times to get 3A(the old statsitics exam).

Personally I think there is some number of consecutive 5s that should merit you a pass. There's no way that person doesn't know the material better than a person who sat once and got a 6.
I could get on board with that Mr Solo. Where would you set that mark?

If anyone can do it, you can make it happen!

Speaking of...I could still use your help down in Suggestions.
Old 02-17-2018, 04:01 PM
Non-Actuary

Studying for Spark / Scala
College: College of William and Mary
Favorite beer: Orange Juice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loner View Post

If you can prove that there is enough of a random component to the exams that would warrant someone receiving multiple 5's "unluckily".

I'm still under the impression that actual knowledge is probably the best proxy for a score.

-Riley
Old 02-17-2018, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoanonstop View Post
If you can prove that there is enough of a random component to the exams that would warrant someone receiving multiple 5's "unluckily".
Regardless of the random component, the more 5's somebody has, the more certain we should be that he is indeed a 5.

"I think that probably clarifies things pretty good by itself."