Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Exams - Please Limit Discussion to Exam-Related Topics > SoA/CAS Preliminary Exams > General
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

View Poll Results: Most difficult prelim
P 64 4.89%
FM 19 1.45%
MLC 334 25.52%
MFE 238 18.18%
C 611 46.68%
Course 42 43 3.28%
Voters: 1309. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-15-2008, 11:11 AM
SOA AAA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bühlmann View Post
Remember the Course 2 sitting that had a 25% passrate in May of 2004? I think that's when the wheels fell off the "2000 system." I sat for the Fall 04 exam and was afraid of that exam because of that low pass rate. It was a doozie and I made it through.
That's the course 2 I passed !

With that said, I think M was by far the hardest in my experience (1, 2, M, C).
Old 02-18-2008, 08:40 PM
SOA AAA

Quote:
Originally Posted by qqpp View Post
That's the course 2 I passed !

With that said, I think M was by far the hardest in my experience (1, 2, M, C).
No one really cares when you passed your exam.

I would have to say that I definitely found C the most difficult.
Old 02-19-2008, 04:02 PM
SOA AAA

Studying for FSA Modules
College: The Ohio State University
Favorite beer: Rochefort 8

I have not sat for C yet, I am doing it this time around and there is a ton of material to study. As far as easiness goes I would say that MFE was the easiest, I took it and passed it on the first sitting, then FM, then exam 1, followed by exam MLC being the hardest that I sat for. MFE was the only exam that I passed on my first sitting.
Old 02-19-2008, 04:05 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADoubleDot View Post
Please only answer if you have actually studied/sat for EVERY exam.
Passed all 4 (before the split of M) in 2006. C was -by far- the hardest, IMO. The breadth of the material is much larger than the other three. M (now MLC for the most part) had the most depth. I did best on M of the four and worst on C.
Old 05-10-2008, 03:14 PM

Studying for a poker game

I've only sat for P, FM, 3L and am sitting for MFE in a week. MFE and 3L are in a different league than P and FM. I like 3L much better than MFE, the material is much more intuitive and easier to study.

That being said, I think someone who studies 3L and MFE for X hours each stands a better chance at passing MFE.
Old 05-15-2008, 07:46 PM
SOA

Studying for CSP - GH
Favorite beer: +Hb!l pnq

C will make you want to cry. There is so much material. You need a different strategy for this one and should probably start studying for it on the way home from your last exam. Don't procrastinate on this one or you'll be finished!
Old 05-17-2008, 07:21 PM

I think there are a few criterions to consider.
  • Exam you'd least want to retake: 4/C. The thought of going back to start on the exam which requires the most physical endurance and covers the widest breadth of material should be enough to make you nauseous.
    • Runner-up: MLC. Any right-minded student wouldn't be too keen on revisiting life cons, if just for the mess of decorative notation.
  • Least room for error: 2/FM. If it's your score that counts and not passing, FM is the most difficult to achieve that elusive score of 10. Depending on the pass rate, this can be flat out impossible, so you'll need a little luck in addition to precision and speed.
    • Runner-up: 1/P. The only other exam to have pilot questions makes it all the more crucial to get the ones that count.
  • Greatest time investment: 4/C. No contest here. It's a seemingly endless laundry list of vaguely related topics, a grab bag from the mythos of credibility, and the grey goo of actuarial examinations.
    • Runner-up: MLC. You'll be admiring the creamy parchment of Actuarial Mathematics for many nights to come.
  • Most unpredictable: MFE. The difficulty of this exam may as well depend on the alignment of the stars, the flip of a coin, and the seismic activity of San Juan. It's only fitting that it tests volatility.
    • Runner-up: 1/P. At this stage in the game, few candidates truly know what to expect.

Last edited by kamek85; 05-17-2008 at 07:25 PM..
Old 05-18-2008, 10:20 PM

I think I'd vote for MFE as the most likely to be underestimated. The syllabus is short and the only released exam is much easier than the other sittings have been, so it's very easy to fall into a false sense of security.
Old 05-20-2008, 06:07 PM
SOA AAA

Studying for December FAC!

I'd agree with that. I took MFE in Spring 2007 and it really wasn't tough, but from what I've noticed on the boards, as well as some discussion about the questions, it seems to have really ramped up the past two sittings.
Old 05-20-2008, 11:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebony View Post
C will make you want to cry. There is so much material. You need a different strategy for this one and should probably start studying for it on the way home from your last exam. Don't procrastinate on this one or you'll be finished!
Exam C is nothing compared to the FSA exam and the amount of material on those exams. I would say Exam C was the hardest of the prelims for me (P,FM,M,C).