Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > General Actuarial
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

General Actuarial Non-Specific Actuarial Topics - Before posting a thread, please browse over our other sections to see if there is a better fit, such as Careers - Employment, Actuarial Science Universities Forum or any of our other 100+ forums.

Old 06-13-2016, 04:37 PM

Default SOA Member Recognition Program

So I received an email from the SOA today saying I earned enough points in 2015 to qualify for a gift. I immediately selected the SOA baseball cap.

My initial reactions:

1. I don't like games where I don't know the rules. Could be my fault in this case. Maybe I just wasn't paying attention.

2. I don't like games I don't know I'm playing. Again, maybe I wasn't paying attention.

3. I do like baseball caps. I manage to lose them fairly quickly, so I always need more.

4. There was a link for more information, but it resulted in a blank page. I don't like broken links. www.recognition.soa.org

5. I wonder what kind of gifts are the people who really contribute to the SOA getting?

6. I am wondering if I just have a generally negative disposition. Maybe I should be happy about my new baseball cap. It should go nicely with my TRUST ME, I'M AN ACTUARY t-shirt.
Old 06-13-2016, 05:16 PM
SOA AAA

You beat me to the punch in posting about this. I agree with you 100% on all counts. Well, except for losing baseball caps. I manage to hang onto mine for whatever reason.

I earned 22 points in 2015 and you need 23.5 to qualify for a gift. I too had no idea I was playing.
Old 06-13-2016, 05:18 PM
SOA AAA

Text from the email:

Quote:
Announcing the SOA Member Recognition program.
Learn how to earn points (and gifts)
through member participation.

Dear Elinor,

The Society of Actuaries (SOA) created a new program to recognize the service and participation of our members. Through the SOA Member Recognition Program you earn points from activities, events and volunteerism for the calendar year. You can then redeem a gift with these recognition points.

Earn points in four areas of involvement:
Volunteerism
Professional interest section participation
Continuing professional development
Accessing SOA information

For reference, you have earned 22 points from your member participation in 2015. Members with 23.5 points or more qualify for a gift. Visit www.recognition.soa.org for more information. In a few months we will provide a snapshot of your points earned this year and how to earn more points for the 2016 calendar year to qualify for a gift.

Elinor, thank you again for your efforts to support and advance the actuarial profession. Contact us at MemberRecognition@soa.org if you have any questions.

Regards,
The Society of Actuaries
Old 06-13-2016, 05:21 PM
SOA AAA

With words like "announcing" and "created a new program", I think it's fair to say that they did not tell us we were playing and they created this game retroactively.

My interpretation of this whole thing, BTW, is "we have too much money, but your employers remain willing to pay dues so we aren't going to lower them and will spend it on crap instead".
Old 06-13-2016, 05:31 PM
Mary Pat Campbell
SOA AAA

Studying for duolingo and coursera
Favorite beer: Murphy's Irish Stout

This was generically announced by Craig Reynolds, I believe, some months ago. It was -just- implemented, and I think this is kind of backtesting their system. I assume they'll give us more info going forward.

I got a shirt.

LinkedIn Profile
Old 06-13-2016, 05:56 PM
SOA AAA

College: Western Washington, Colorado-Boulder

I got 67 points!
The opinions of Doctor No do not necessarily represent the opinions of mathematicians or consulting actuaries. Facts cited by Doctor No are not necessarily facts. Find me on Twitter: @NorrisDoug. If you send me a LinkedIn invitation, please let me know who you are (unless it's obvious how I know you).
Old 06-13-2016, 05:59 PM
SOA AAA

I'd like to see a Member Recognition Program where they have SOA members go on stage during the Annual Meeting and have people see if they can recognize them.
The opinions of Doctor No do not necessarily represent the opinions of mathematicians or consulting actuaries. Facts cited by Doctor No are not necessarily facts. Find me on Twitter: @NorrisDoug. If you send me a LinkedIn invitation, please let me know who you are (unless it's obvious how I know you).
Old 06-13-2016, 06:02 PM
SOA AAA

Who's the most recognizable SOA member?

As in, per the metric I described above, who would have the most recognition?
Old 06-13-2016, 06:11 PM
SOA AAA

Favorite beer: Sam Smith Oatmeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorNo View Post
Who's the most recognizable SOA member?

As in, per the metric I described above, who would have the most recognition?
MPC would do pretty well.
Old 06-13-2016, 06:15 PM
Mary Pat Campbell
SOA AAA

Studying for duolingo and coursera
Favorite beer: Murphy's Irish Stout

That reminds me, I needto update my headshot

LinkedIn Profile