Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > General Actuarial
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

DW Simpson International Actuarial Jobs
Canada  Asia  Australia  Bermuda  Latin America  Europe

General Actuarial Non-Specific Actuarial Topics - Before posting a thread, please browse over our other sections to see if there is a better fit, such as Careers - Employment, Actuarial Science Universities Forum or any of our other 100+ forums.

Old 02-23-2017, 03:35 PM
CAS

Studying for Jazz Piano
Favorite beer: Founders Dirty Bastard

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruteForce View Post
Anyone care to post the full text? I can't open Google docs at work.
it's a 67 page pdf
Old 02-23-2017, 03:56 PM
SOA AAA

Studying for More Money
Favorite beer: Wurzel Bier

Quote:
Originally Posted by OddSox View Post
it's a 67 page pdf
There's always ctrl+A

I'll try to remember to check it out at home.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Actuary321 View Post
I would really hate to bring Pokémon to a gun fight.
Old 02-23-2017, 04:00 PM
SOA AAA

Quote:
Originally Posted by GargoyleWaiting View Post
I don't see why the AAA or ABCD would leak the information, so if it was the complainant surely Tim's beef is with them?
How would anyone besides the ABCD, Tim, and Tim's lawyer know that the ABCD was recommending expulsion?

The complainant wouldn't know that, would they?
Old 02-23-2017, 04:33 PM
CAS Non-Actuary

I'm not an attorney but I sympathize with a plaintiff's decision to publish his case. The judicial system is slow, whereas the harm on the individual's reputation is immediate regardless of the parties' merits.

The problem I see is that now the Academy might have the incentive to force an adverse outcome in its disciplinary proceedings so as to try rendering the controversy moot in court. The recourse of mootness might afford the Academy the ability to unduly preclude or limit the relief/recovery. However, the timing of OP's complaint is not necessarily erroneous, since the statute of limitations varies by state and by tort/crime. A forced adverse proceeding would also preclude claims that may otherwise be available to the OP, such as abuse of process or possibly malicious prosecution.

Why did the OP not include Sawhney as co-defendant. Is he filing a separate complaint against her? If the OP plans to sue for defamation, he needs to act quickly (if it's not too late already) because the statute of limitations for defamation is usually shorter (one year) than for other counts. I see the publication in Exhibit A is dated February 9, 2016. The OP should investigate whether state law requires him to request [Sawhney] for a retraction before filing a defamation claim. That request is a sine qua non condition in states like Texas and Florida, whereas in Michigan (where the plaintiff is based) the request for retraction is required only if the plaintiff seeks punitive and exemplary damages. I don't know about what the law says in Sawhney's state. Regardless, the statute of limitations for "Tortious Interference" is longer, and I believe there the recovery is limited to actual damages. On the other hand, Sawhney might raise defenses such as "truth", "opinion", and First Amendment immunity ... that's a whole topic on its own and depends on the specifics of the issue.

Another weak point I see is that Article X, Section 9.A (Exhibit 2) entitles the Academy to inform the complainant about the progress of her complaint. The wording in that clause will lead a court to construe that informing the complainant takes priority over the Academy's duty of confidentiality with respect to the complainant. The Academy will surely raise that defense, at least to the extent that it applies to Sawhney's actual claims with the ABCD. In other words, the count of Breach of Contract as to confidentiality would apply only to matters that the ABCD (or the Academy) disclosed to Sawhney and which Sawhney did not raise with the ABCD.

I'm surprised that plaintiff's counsel did not specifically include the counts of "Deprivation of Due Process" and "Tortious Interference with Business Relation and Expectancy". I'm assuming the litigation strategy will aim to identify specific agents of the Academy, trace those agents' knowledge of plaintiff's business relations, and file an Amended Complaint with additional defendants and counts.

Last edited by pragmatist; 02-23-2017 at 04:48 PM..
Old 02-23-2017, 05:09 PM
SOA

Studying for the hell of it...
College: AASU
Favorite beer: This one...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GargoyleWaiting View Post
I don't see why the AAA or ABCD would leak the information, so if it was the complainant surely Tim's beef is with them?
But how would the complainant get confidential information about the ABCD recommendation in the first place?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Androzani Major View Post
Maybe a better statement is that I enjoyed having experienced it both ways?
Old 02-23-2017, 05:10 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamTheOlympicEagle View Post
Skimming the complaint is worth it.

Liked these nuggets:

I :ctm:'d

Quote:
Old 02-23-2017, 05:14 PM
CAS Non-Actuary

Quote:
Originally Posted by DyalDragon View Post
But how would the complainant get confidential information about the ABCD recommendation in the first place?
Because Article X, Section 9.A (Exhibit 2) entitles the Academy to inform the complainant about the progress of her complaint.
Old 02-23-2017, 05:17 PM
SOA

Favorite beer: Corona :)

The ABCD looks suspiciously like a Kangaroo court.

"On a reflection of Tyranny. To abandon facts is to abandon freedom. If nothing is true, then no one can criticize power because there is no basis upon which to do so. Post-truth is pre-fascism.”
Old 02-23-2017, 05:20 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by pragmatist View Post
Because Article X, Section 9.A (Exhibit 2) entitles the Academy to inform the complainant about the progress of her complaint.
Progress doesn't (or at least shouldn't) include confidential recommendations.

Progress would be "we have made our recommendation to the AAA", or "we are still reviewing the case."

Quote:
Old 02-23-2017, 05:28 PM

At least one current (and probably multiple prior, depending on the timelines) member of the ABCD is associated with the same firm as the complainant. Could have been some inappropriate sharing within the firm; even if not (and I have no idea), expect such allegations, which would make for interesting discovery.

Tags
court of public opinion, discoverable evidence, oops too much information