Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Careers - Employment
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Not looking for a job? Tell us about your ideal job,
and we'll only contact you when it opens up.
https://www.dwsimpson.com/register

Old 05-09-2017, 05:34 PM
SOA

Favorite beer: The ones in red solo cups.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyotousa View Post
I hope that's a joke.....
Never had to deal with so much failure and rejection in my life all at once. I'm a perfectionist though.

My mindset before was "oh, if you have so and so requirements, you will instantly get a job anywhere you want!"

I got those requirements and more but did not get to pick where I wanted to work. Ended up getting lucky and got a job in an area I actually wanted to live in.
Old 05-09-2017, 06:02 PM
CAS

College: Jamba Juice University
Favorite beer: AO Amber Ale

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyotousa View Post
I hope that's a joke.....
It's a pretty common experience for people looking for their first job. Most achievements prior to that are a guarantee as long as you satisfy requirements X, Y, and Z - even for getting into elite schools. It can be a shock for people who aren't used to the job search process.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wigmeister General View Post
Don't you even think about sending me your resume. I'll turn it into an origami boulder and return it to you.
Old 05-09-2017, 06:44 PM
Non-Actuary

- BA in Economics from state school
- 3.89 GPA, 4.00 major GPA
- 2 exams
- Master of Statistics in US News top 20 stats grad program
- No internships (although I applied every year starting sophomore year)
- No geographic or field restrictions
- SAS Base Programmer Certificate (not sure if relevant)

I had a phone interview with one company, but otherwise I've had 0 responses. I don't know how many jobs I've applied to, but I know it's over 50.

Last edited by umites; 05-09-2017 at 06:53 PM..
Old 05-09-2017, 06:48 PM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by umites View Post
- 2 exams

I had a phone interview with one company, but otherwise I've had 0 responses. I don't know how many jobs I've applied to, but I know it's over 50.
I'd try cold e-mailing, though it's tough without the job experience. You say "applied every year starting sophomore year", yet you had a 3.89 GPA? I'm cynical you didn't try that hard to land one then. I woulda killed a homeless man for your GPA and still managed to get internships.
Old 05-09-2017, 06:58 PM

College: About to be a super senior

Quote:
Originally Posted by umites View Post
- 2 exams
- SAS Base Programmer Certificate (not sure if relevant)

citizen?
Old 05-09-2017, 07:02 PM
Non-Actuary

Quote:
Originally Posted by NormalDan View Post
I'd try cold e-mailing, though it's tough without the job experience. You say "applied every year starting sophomore year", yet you had a 3.89 GPA? I'm cynical you didn't try that hard to land one then. I woulda killed a homeless man for your GPA and still managed to get internships.
Yeah, I have sent a few cold emails. I graduated last week, so now that I'm done I'll be able to spend more time on it. I did apply for internships every year, although sophomore year I only sent out ~10 applications.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hjacjswo View Post
citizen?
Yes, natural born citizen.
Old 05-09-2017, 07:04 PM
SOA

College: Yep
Favorite beer: Sweetwater Blue

Most of this has to do with HR taking the requirements literally.

For example: Not having an internship really hurts you with HR. If you get a chance to explain why to the actuaries, then you are okay. But most people won't get that chance.

Physical violence as acceptable reaction or outdated masculine bravado as a positive quality is definitely not something the country should be moving towards or qualities we want to see in a President.

Old 05-09-2017, 07:46 PM
SOA

For people who are having or had a hard time finding a job have you spammed the actuarial directory?
Old 05-10-2017, 08:23 AM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToBeAnActuaryOrNotToBe View Post
1 job offer only. I got my job in about 2 months months total from start to end. I spent 1.5 months applying to jobs. They needed someone to work for them right away, so I started 2 weeks after my in person interview. I lived relatively close geographically (only moved about 3 hours) and was willing to start as soon as possible.

I spent every day refreshing indeed.com to see if new jobs popped up. I applied to every position available. I was starting to lose hope after about a month, and I was leaning towards applying to non-actuarial positions. I think the main problem was that I was applying to positions when positions weren't available.

I still felt like I should have gotten more offers or responses though given my credentials at the time:
- 3.9 GPA with a Math Degree and business administration minor
- 2 exams passed while studying for 3rd exam; all VEEs done
- President of Actuary club
- 1 actuarial internship
- Math tutor in college
- Member of multiple organizations in college (math club, honors club, fraternity, scholarship organizations, etc)
- Relevant technical skills and familiarity with programming
- Salutatorian in high school and graduated high school at the age of 16
- Born in the US

The resume alone should have been enough to get through most HR filters. However, I did not get as many phone interviews as I thought I would get. I thought that I was a 90% percentile candidate. Receiving all of those rejection emails hurt my pride and gave me a harsh reality check.
I wouldn't be surprised if the graduating HS at 16 actually worked against you. It's great to get a head start certainly but every interviewer is going to be wondering if you'll end up not mature enough.. or if you'll have some big ego etc.

And I'm critical of the notion that "applying to positions when positions weren't available" is a big concern. It's like the housing market and people say "oh you've got to sell in spring because that's when everyone wants to buy" and when you're buying it's "things don't come on the market until the spring"... all you need is one hit, you're not looking to get a whole group of people hired. And in the "off-season" there are fewer candidates applying to those fewer jobs. What you should really care about is does this time of year have a relatively high or relatively low applicant:job posting ratio. "In-season" probably has a horrible applicant:job posting ratio.

Further, you're stuck with the moment you're in. Waiting to apply until a more ideal season is wasted time.
Old 05-10-2017, 09:41 AM
SOA

Favorite beer: The ones in red solo cups.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NormalDan View Post
Further, you're stuck with the moment you're in. Waiting to apply until a more ideal season is wasted time.
I actually think it depends on the person and company. I had one or two interviews towards the end of my job search for non-actuarial positions at insurance companies. At the end of one of the interviews, they asked me if I was really willing to continue on with the interview process for the non-actuarial position or wait until August when their actuarial positions opened up. They were impressed by my resume and knew that I wanted to be an actuary. They gave me a choice at the end, and I told them that I would much rather wait to be an actuary. I decided to solely focus on pursuing actuarial positions after that. I ended up getting an actuarial position at another company before August though.

Last edited by ToBeAnActuaryOrNotToBe; 05-10-2017 at 09:48 AM.. Reason: clarity