Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Careers - Employment
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Old 11-04-2017, 12:55 PM
CAS SOA AAA

Default Stuck in a tough spot

I've been job searching for awhile, as I am wanting to move into a management role from a more technical role as a fellow with multiple years of experience. I don't foresee that happening with my current employer due to a number of factors.

When I speak with recruiters, the fact I have no direct reports doesn't give them any concerns. When it shifts to talking with the hiring managers, it's a different story. I have talked about my management of projects and coordination with multiple departments to convey my leadership skills. But I can't seem to push past the no direct reports issue. Any tips or thoughts on how to convey to hiring managers I can succeed at the role?
Old 11-04-2017, 01:16 PM

You know that whole pitch that recruiters give you about "We do more than just arrange interviews, we advocate for you, we prep you, we blah blah blah"? This is one of those times that you need to make sure they're working for you like they claimed they would.

Can you give a bit more background on the conversations you've had with a hiring manager - what kind of questions they asked, what you responded with, what leads you to believe that's the problem (or did they state as much)?

Overall, managing people is mostly being organized and being able to connect with people to make them understand what you need them to do and why. So, you need to have stories about that in your interviews that demonstrate that.

Also, good to talk about why you want to move into a management role - if you can connect that to their experience in management, then they will think that makes sense.
Old 11-04-2017, 02:50 PM
Muppet Queen
Site Supporter
CAS AAA

Studying for my yearly physical
Favorite beer: battered onion rings

I've been there, and it sucks. The reason you want to leave, you see no advancement. They're looking for someone with management experience, which you have, just not of people per se, but more of projects. Think about your past bosses - what was good, what was bad (personally, I learned more "what not to do" than anything else), develop a management philosophy - and answer those types of questions with that in mind.

And, as always, what Westley said.

Life sucks like a hoover. Grab the handle or get in the bag. fun king ded
http://www.actuarialoutpost.com/actu...82&postcount=5 Maine-iac thinks I'm smart
Old 11-04-2017, 11:05 PM
CAS

also consider targeting smaller companies
Old 11-05-2017, 01:59 AM

Have you talked to your current boss why you are not managing?
Old 11-06-2017, 09:17 AM
Muppet Queen
Site Supporter
CAS AAA

Studying for my yearly physical
Favorite beer: battered onion rings

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoJo View Post
Have you talked to your current boss why you are not managing?
if it was anything like my boss at the time "you know what you have to do to get promoted" - um, no, that's why I'm asking.

Life sucks like a hoover. Grab the handle or get in the bag. fun king ded
http://www.actuarialoutpost.com/actu...82&postcount=5 Maine-iac thinks I'm smart
Old 11-08-2017, 09:22 AM
CAS SOA AAA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westley View Post
You know that whole pitch that recruiters give you about "We do more than just arrange interviews, we advocate for you, we prep you, we blah blah blah"? This is one of those times that you need to make sure they're working for you like they claimed they would.

Can you give a bit more background on the conversations you've had with a hiring manager - what kind of questions they asked, what you responded with, what leads you to believe that's the problem (or did they state as much)?

Overall, managing people is mostly being organized and being able to connect with people to make them understand what you need them to do and why. So, you need to have stories about that in your interviews that demonstrate that.

Also, good to talk about why you want to move into a management role - if you can connect that to their experience in management, then they will think that makes sense.
I will try and hit on these more with emphasis on my organization of leading projects and coaching folks around those.

Quote:
Originally Posted by L. Mo View Post
if it was anything like my boss at the time "you know what you have to do to get promoted" - um, no, that's why I'm asking.
Combination of this and lack of opportunity since the department is heavily credentialed.
Old 11-08-2017, 12:56 PM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaireDunphy View Post
I've been job searching for awhile, as I am wanting to move into a management role from a more technical role as a fellow with multiple years of experience. I don't foresee that happening with my current employer due to a number of factors.

When I speak with recruiters, the fact I have no direct reports doesn't give them any concerns. When it shifts to talking with the hiring managers, it's a different story. I have talked about my management of projects and coordination with multiple departments to convey my leadership skills. But I can't seem to push past the no direct reports issue. Any tips or thoughts on how to convey to hiring managers I can succeed at the role?
Have you worked on teams, and perhaps led teams? If so, this would be a good story for hiring managers.
Old 11-22-2017, 10:18 AM
CAS SOA AAA

I finally got a request for an onsite interview for a role that would include direct reports. The complication is that it isn't within an actuarial department and would be a significant pay cut. I just don't know what to think.
Old 11-22-2017, 10:22 AM
CAS

Studying for the credential

Quote:
Originally Posted by L. Mo View Post
Yeah there are people who think it's all about money and titles