Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Careers - Employment
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Fill in a brief DW Simpson Registration Form
to be contacted when new jobs meet your criteria.

Old 11-22-2017, 10:22 AM
CAS

Studying for the credential

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaireDunphy View Post
I finally got a request for an onsite interview for a role that would include direct reports. The complication is that it isn't within an actuarial department and would be a significant pay cut. I just don't know what to think.
eff that.

Old 11-22-2017, 10:26 AM
CAS

College: Jamba Juice University
Favorite beer: AO Amber Ale

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaireDunphy View Post
I finally got a request for an onsite interview for a role that would include direct reports. The complication is that it isn't within an actuarial department and would be a significant pay cut. I just don't know what to think.
A pay cut for more responsibility?

wut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wigmeister General View Post
Don't you even think about sending me your resume. I'll turn it into an origami boulder and return it to you.
Old 11-22-2017, 12:35 PM
SOA

If you're not already or have not managed people, its very difficult to convince hiring managers that you can do so.

Secondly, its difficult to directly start managing people in a new organization. Even if you are a credentialed actuary with multiple years of experience, it takes time to get used to the processes, culture, people and the environment before starting to manage people in a new company.
Old 11-22-2017, 06:27 PM
CAS SOA AAA

Quote:
Originally Posted by CowboyGuy View Post
If you're not already or have not managed people, its very difficult to convince hiring managers that you can do so.

Secondly, its difficult to directly start managing people in a new organization. Even if you are a credentialed actuary with multiple years of experience, it takes time to get used to the processes, culture, people and the environment before starting to manage people in a new company.
What would you recommend as an action then?
Old 11-22-2017, 06:37 PM
SOA

Favorite beer: Corona :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colonel Smoothie View Post
A pay cut for more responsibility?

wut
Yeah, that is a big no.

Specially given it is non-actuarial

"On a reflection of Tyranny. To abandon facts is to abandon freedom. If nothing is true, then no one can criticize power because there is no basis upon which to do so. Post-truth is pre-fascism.
Old 11-22-2017, 08:53 PM
CAS

Another option is to generate a lot of demand for your work. Say, you propose an idea, let's say build a model to detect fraud for one line of business or something. You get the go ahead and then it becomes successful, and all of a sudden all the other lines of business want one. You can't do it all yourself, so you make a case for hiring additional reports to help build it out.

Quote:
Don't you even think about sending me your resume. I'll turn it into an origami boulder and return it to you.
Old 11-27-2017, 04:26 PM
SOA AAA

Studying for Japanese
College: B.S. Applied Math
Favorite beer: La Croix Grapefruit

I've had this issue, too. I'm in a spot where for my pay to increase I basically have to have a Director level job which almost always includes reports, in insurance. I did have formal people management training including developing a management philosophy. I suggest that, at the bare minimum.

In consulting you get reports if you have time. And it's not billable. And plenty of high earning folks have no reports. YMMV

"I'm here to entertain, and inform." -George Carlin
Old 11-27-2017, 04:32 PM
SOA

I'm in the same situation, what's worse is that I'm extremely geographically limited. I guess I will be stuck as an "individual contributor" for a very long time.
Old 11-29-2017, 02:53 PM
CAS

Hmm in my prior company, it was rare for a manager to be hired externally. Usually they were promoted from within the department. Not sure whether this is generally good or bad for the industry.
Old 11-29-2017, 03:04 PM
CAS

One thing that I've seen a few people pull off is that they get hired at a company in a non-managing role but get promoted to management quickly, like within a year or two. I'm not sure if there were discussions behind the scenes during the interview on how those people were going to be promoted, but it's one way.

Quote: