Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Careers - Employment
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

DW Simpson International Actuarial Jobs
Canada  Asia  Australia  Bermuda  Latin America  Europe

Old 01-14-2018, 08:18 AM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colonel Smoothie View Post
I see where you're going with this, and in some aspects I agree but if that logic were carried to an extreme, nobody would be willing to hire ELs because they can't really do anything. I think to some extent there is an expectation that a hire will get better over time. Is there some more elaboration that would take this example into consideration?
It wasn't meant to be some statement of unnassailable truth. I don't have the time to make that precise a statement.

The EL case isn't that hard to understand. EL employees usually are negative value initially. While the value is in the acquired skills a company can be willing to make an investment in letting you acquire them and see positive NPV. Most of the objections to my statement are probably similiar: NPV vs current value differences.

My point is the reliance on the word "ability" which can take on multiple meanings. Could some really smart person do my job? Yes and no. Many people could learn my job given a few years but given that it needs to be done today most people don't have the ability.

My statement was a reaction to this statement:

Quote:
This fallacy about one type of quantitative person being able to solve business problems and another type of quantitative person not being able to solve business problems is annoying.
Which I think Riley is getting at the point that actuaries often present themselves as the only professionals able to solve certain types of business problems. There is a lot of hyperbole in how the actuarial societies present themselves. Yet, within our small corner of the world (insurance), its close enough to the truth. I don't think any (sane) actuaries think we can be everything to everyone, regardless of what the PR is.

Lucky for you I was raised by people with a good moral center because if that were not the case, you guys would be in a lot of trouble.
So be very, very glad people like me exist. Your future basically depends on it. --jas66kent

The stock market is going to go up significantly due to Trump Economics --jas66kent

Last edited by JohnLocke; 01-14-2018 at 08:36 AM..
Old 01-16-2018, 11:43 PM
Non-Actuary

JohnLocke is so special. He's unique. His value is so strong. His employer would crumble without him.
Old 01-16-2018, 11:57 PM
Non-Actuary

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnLocke View Post
It all depends on what "ability" means. I think you are talking about "do I have the mental faculties to understand and solve the problem given relevant experience and training?" vs "do I currently possess all the skills I need to solve the problem?" One is a statement about capability to acquire skills but the other is about having acquired them. Frankly, no one cares about the former. There are many smart pepole in the world. Many who are smarter than actuaries and could probably do the job better than current actuaries had they all spent a decade at an insurance company. All the value is in acquired skills, not raw abilities. Who cares what you hypothetically could do. Your value is in what you can do today.
https://youtu.be/xFFs9UgOAlE?t=35m1s
Old 01-17-2018, 10:55 AM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarinetist View Post
People in high school and with Bachelor's degrees - for the most part - only have a superficial understanding of what they're doing. They know the buzzwords, they may run lm() in R, read through ISLR, and consider themselves a "data scientist."
You annoy me. Such a blanket statement is such BS. You live in your own little echo chamber and you make statements like this to make you feel good about your decision to get a Masters and how it will make you better than those with a Bachelors.
Old 01-17-2018, 11:46 AM
SOA AAA

Favorite beer: too many to list here

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrollMaster View Post
You annoy me. Such a blanket statement is such BS. You live in your own little echo chamber and you make statements like this to make you feel good about your decision to get a Masters and how it will make you better than those with a Bachelors.
especially considering that many successful people don't even have advanced degrees (gates, zuckerberg, probably more). it is all about whether you put in the extra effort required and are naturally interested and curious in going beyond the obvious, not "I have a Masters/PhD so am naturally smarter and better". nope, you just spend time and money on an advanced degree in the hopes that it would pay off somehow.
Old 01-17-2018, 12:28 PM
SOA

Favorite beer: Corona :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by oedipus rex View Post
especially considering that many successful people don't even have advanced degrees (gates, zuckerberg, probably more). it is all about whether you put in the extra effort required and are naturally interested and curious in going beyond the obvious, not "I have a Masters/PhD so am naturally smarter and better". nope, you just spend time and money on an advanced degree in the hopes that it would pay off somehow.
I love it when people try to justify themselves with extreme outliers. Complete insanity.

Look kiddies, in this day and age, a guy with a Masters will have a much better understanding of the material when compared to a guy with a Bachelors.

"On a reflection of Tyranny. To abandon facts is to abandon freedom. If nothing is true, then no one can criticize power because there is no basis upon which to do so. Post-truth is pre-fascism.
Old 01-17-2018, 01:00 PM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by jas66Kent View Post
I love it when people try to justify themselves with extreme outliers. Complete insanity.

Look kiddies, in this day and age, a guy with a Masters will have a much better understanding of the material when compared to a guy with a Bachelors.
I agree with part 1.

Part 2, not so much. Not all Masters and Bachelors are made equal. Though in broad generalities you may be correct.
Old 01-17-2018, 01:51 PM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by jas66Kent View Post
No wonder you love yourself soooo much!
Old 01-17-2018, 02:06 PM
CAS

You nerds love rehashing the same argument over and over again.

#welcomeToTheInterweb
Old 01-17-2018, 09:46 PM
Non-Actuary

Studying for Spark / Scala
College: College of William and Mary
Favorite beer: Orange Juice

Quote:
Originally Posted by oedipus rex View Post
Would you feel the same way if we replaced "advanced degree" with "actuarial credential"?

-Riley

Map of Actuarial Hiring Companies