Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Careers - Employment
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

DW Simpson Global Actuarial & Analytcs Recruitment
Download our 2017 Actuarial Salary Survey
now with state-by-state salary information!

Old 01-18-2018, 10:33 AM
CAS SOA

Sure. Being able to think about why things are happening and acting on them is much more important than what exams you have.

Similarly, having passed exam 5 isn't what makes me valued and good at my job. Understanding reserving is, which I did for years before I ever sat for the exam.
Old 01-21-2018, 11:49 PM
Non-Actuary

Quote:
Originally Posted by oedipus rex View Post
especially considering that many successful people don't even have advanced degrees (gates, zuckerberg, probably more). it is all about whether you put in the extra effort required and are naturally interested and curious in going beyond the obvious, not "I have a Masters/PhD so am naturally smarter and better". nope, you just spend time and money on an advanced degree in the hopes that it would pay off somehow.
I hate it when people claim that college is pointless because gates and zuckerberg dropped out. It shows a lack of understanding of conditional probability. THe odds of becoming rich as a college dropout are extremely low and much lower than for a college graduate.
Old 01-21-2018, 11:50 PM
Non-Actuary

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrollMaster View Post
You annoy me. Such a blanket statement is such BS. You live in your own little echo chamber and you make statements like this to make you feel good about your decision to get a Masters and how it will make you better than those with a Bachelors.
He does tend to make a lot of blanket statements about a variety of topics.
Old 01-21-2018, 11:59 PM
CAS

College: Jamba Juice University
Favorite beer: AO Amber Ale

1000 thread count, Egyptian cotton sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wigmeister General View Post
Don't you even think about sending me your resume. I'll turn it into an origami boulder and return it to you.
Old 01-26-2018, 10:03 PM
CAS

Studying for data science

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarinetist View Post
Riley's pay range
Sorry, I missed the post where he told us his pay range. Can you give me the R so I can N it.
Old 01-26-2018, 10:04 PM
CAS

Studying for data science

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colonel Smoothie View Post
1000 thread count, Egyptian cotton sheets
1000 post count
Old 01-26-2018, 10:17 PM
Non-Actuary

Studying for Spark / Scala
College: College of William and Mary
Favorite beer: Orange Juice

Quote:
Originally Posted by ActSciMan View Post
Sorry, I missed the post where he told us his pay range. Can you give me the R so I can N it.
$43,000
Old 01-26-2018, 11:56 PM
Non-Actuary

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielpst View Post
I am aware that I may be considered "less than" for a while, but given how much information that are freely accessible online and how may people who're currently in high school or college have been actively learning about these techniques, I believe that there will eventually be a generation of very skilled data scientists without a formal PhD education.

I think what makes the tech industry so unique is that things are moving so fast and what was considered "new" a only few years ago may be outdated today- like MapReduce. This kind of structure is not very compatible with the traditional spend-10-years-in-school-and-learn-about-techniques-invented-100-years-ago route. The reason why PhD's are so valued today is that there just aren't many skilled data scienctists out there today and PhD's are always a safer bet. There will always be R&D positions reserved for PhD's, but I am really hoping that there will be less stigma against the less *formally* educated down the road.

I am not a huge fan of coding despite being better at coding than most actuaries, so I'd probably stay away from software engineering jobs...
This is ridiculous. Great companies that pay $$ for PhDs are doing it for the intangibles not for their knowledge of specific techniques. You seem very confused. PhDs are already diving into the latest research in their second year, so definitely not stuff from 100 years ago.

By the way, if you don't like coding then I would not even bother with data science.
Old 01-27-2018, 06:16 AM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnLocke View Post
It all depends on what "ability" means. I think you are talking about "do I have the mental faculties to understand and solve the problem given relevant experience and training?" vs "do I currently possess all the skills I need to solve the problem?" One is a statement about capability to acquire skills but the other is about having acquired them. Frankly, no one cares about the former. There are many smart pepole in the world. Many who are smarter than actuaries and could probably do the job better than current actuaries had they all spent a decade at an insurance company. All the value is in acquired skills, not raw abilities. Who cares what you hypothetically could do. Your value is in what you can do today.
I want to come back and disown this post. I was certainly thinking about experienced hires where I wrote this and being a bit lazy in writing it.

A crude analogy is income vs assets. As you look to hire someone earlier in their career, you care about how fast they learn. As you try to fill experienced positions, it becomes much more about what skills you have. There is always some degree of in between.

Lucky for you I was raised by people with a good moral center because if that were not the case, you guys would be in a lot of trouble.
So be very, very glad people like me exist. Your future basically depends on it. --jas66kent

The stock market is going to go up significantly due to Trump Economics --jas66kent
Old 01-28-2018, 11:55 PM
Non-Actuary

Studying for Spark / Scala
College: College of William and Mary
Favorite beer: Orange Juice

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnLocke View Post
I want to come back and disown this post. I was certainly thinking about experienced hires where I wrote this and being a bit lazy in writing it.

A crude analogy is income vs assets. As you look to hire someone earlier in their career, you care about how fast they learn. As you try to fill experienced positions, it becomes much more about what skills you have. There is always some degree of in between.
Good post, my friend.

-Riley