Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Exams - Please Limit Discussion to Exam-Related Topics > SoA/CAS Preliminary Exams > General
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Browse Open Actuarial Jobs

Life  Health  Casualty  Pension  Entry Level  All Jobs  Salaries

Old 01-21-2018, 10:46 AM
SOA

Studying for MFE
College: University of Nebraska (alma mater)
Favorite beer: Captain Morgan
Thumbs up Company Time for the New Exams

I am curious if any of you have had discussions yet at work about the impact of the new exams on study time and pay raise. For my company, they give 30 hours of study time per hour of exam. Since the Predictive Analytics exam is a 5-hour project, that would of course be 150 hours, but that seems overkill. I doubt it will be more difficult than the other exams, just different. Also, adding PA and SRM may cause a bend in pay structure, depending on the company.

My manager asked if I had heard yet what other companies are doing since we try to stay competitive. Any thoughts?
Old 01-29-2018, 07:12 AM
SOA

Studying for C

I spoke with the person who oversees our company student program. We don't have the revision to the hours/bonuses/raises plan out yet, but I was told it exist and was being finalized. Then I was told I can expect to know the updates sometime in February.
I am curious to see how the PA section is handled as well.
Old 05-09-2018, 03:38 PM
SOA

Studying for everything

As of today, my company is going to give 150h of study time, but the pay raise is not to be expected

It's so stupid
Old 05-17-2018, 02:40 PM
SOA

Studying for FSA Module & Exam
Favorite beer: Summer Ale

My company does the 30 hours per exam hour as well. PA will get 150 hours, but it won't get a 5 hour exam raise. Instead, it will get a smaller raise that is similar to our IA and FA raises.
Old 05-17-2018, 03:25 PM
Non-Actuary

Studying for ERM
College: FSU

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashley7491 View Post
My company does the 30 hours per exam hour as well. PA will get 150 hours, but it won't get a 5 hour exam raise. Instead, it will get a smaller raise that is similar to our IA and FA raises.
The plan I pitched to the supervisors is similar. The PA module looks difficult, but certainly not at the same level as a 5-hour FSA exam, I set the raise and study hours to be slightly more than what we do for MLC/LTAM but not the same amount as an FSA exam.
Chief actuary is super busy and hasn't had time to review all the changes and the new structure yet, so not sure what the final plan is going to look like.

I am unsure about the prelim raises being split among the 6 exams rather than just adding money into the program, but I'm sure HR and the CA will have a better handle on how to manage that.
Old 05-17-2018, 03:47 PM
SOA

Studying for FSA Module & Exam
Favorite beer: Summer Ale

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcact View Post
The plan I pitched to the supervisors is similar. The PA module looks difficult, but certainly not at the same level as a 5-hour FSA exam, I set the raise and study hours to be slightly more than what we do for MLC/LTAM but not the same amount as an FSA exam.
Chief actuary is super busy and hasn't had time to review all the changes and the new structure yet, so not sure what the final plan is going to look like.

I am unsure about the prelim raises being split among the 6 exams rather than just adding money into the program, but I'm sure HR and the CA will have a better handle on how to manage that.
That was somewhat an issue for us. I work at an insurance company that has SOA students and CAS students. We had to make our raises over FSA/FCAS match up.
Old 06-28-2018, 01:54 PM
SOA AAA

Studying for PA
College: Stevenson University

90 hrs of study time for both SRM and PA, and the same raise as exam C.

Tags
predictive analytics, salary, soa exams, srm, study time