Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Careers - Employment
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

DW Simpson
Actuarial Jobs

Visit our site for the most up to date jobs for actuaries.

Actuarial Salary Surveys
Property & Casualty, Health, Life, Pension and Non-Tradtional Jobs.

Actuarial Meeting Schedule
Browse this year's meetings and which recruiters will attend.

Contact DW Simpson
Have a question?
Let's talk.
You'll be glad you did.

Old 01-24-2018, 05:57 PM
Non-Actuary

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowactuary View Post
Sorry I donít have a link. Thatís what I was told at APC. That being a career changer my ASA is basically worthless unless MAAA. Iím happy to be wrong here
Please tell me it was another attendee and not someone teaching the course.

Old 01-24-2018, 06:02 PM
Non-Actuary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny View Post
In that case, you should be looking at FSA requirements on the health track and the US Qualification Standards (I don't think NAIC requirements apply to group health since they are covered under ERISA, but I'm sure someone will correct me if I am wrong).
You can also ignore the tangent between ronaldy27 and ALiveleySedative, you really only need to be concerned with SOA and AAA membership requirements, not CAS. I haven't read the AAA application requirements in quite a while, but I would imagine if you have a consultant reviewing the actuarial work, they would be able to attest to any work experience requirements for the period you worked together.

Old 01-24-2018, 07:54 PM
SOA AAA

Studying for ACA
College: Graduate of hard knocks
Favorite beer: Cold Smoke

Quote:
Please tell me it was another attendee and not someone teaching the course.
It was probably in the context of signing SAO's for regulators within the US.
The MAAA is what is needed.
Old 01-25-2018, 10:41 AM
Non-Actuary

Quote:
Originally Posted by exponentialpi View Post
It was probably in the context of signing SAO's for regulators within the US.
The MAAA is what is needed.
Again, since I don't think that is a universal truth for all SOA lines, it would be odd to make a blanket statement. Hopefully, it was simply misinterpreted or it was made with very specific circumstances.

Old 01-25-2018, 11:59 AM
SOA AAA

Studying for Japanese
College: B.S. Applied Math
Favorite beer: La Croix Grapefruit

If you don't get raises/bonuses and don't get real actuarial experience, it will stunt your career somewhat. I jumped ship from a non traditional employer 3 years in, to a carrier role, and it was the best thing I could have done.

Please forgive unintended sarcasm
Old 01-25-2018, 12:06 PM
CAS

Studying for many many stuffs

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathmajor View Post
If you don't get raises/bonuses and don't get real actuarial experience, it will stunt your career somewhat. I jumped ship from a non traditional employer 3 years in, to a carrier role, and it was the best thing I could have done.
What do you consider to be non-"real actuarial experience?"

Old 01-25-2018, 12:19 PM
SOA

Studying for C
College: Millsaps College Alumnus
Favorite beer: Cold

Thanks for your great advice. I really appreciate you weighing in.

Quote:
You can also ignore the tangent between ronaldy27 and ALiveleySedative, you really only need to be concerned with SOA and AAA membership requirements, not CAS. I haven't read the AAA application requirements in quite a while, but I would imagine if you have a consultant reviewing the actuarial work, they would be able to attest to any work experience requirements for the period you worked together.
Old 01-25-2018, 12:23 PM
SOA

Studying for C
College: Millsaps College Alumnus
Favorite beer: Cold

My company paid for an FSA to teach me some things (as I worked alongside him on a project) and said it would let me do projects with him.

I get a significant bump ($15K) for an ASA -- it's in my employment contract. Then again, I'm probably underpaid

Nothing in contract about an FSA, but I'll likely do it to be better at my job and increase my leverage.

I work in a limited actuarial market (I work in Louisiana), so I don't have the luxury of many employment options.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathmajor View Post
Old 01-25-2018, 12:27 PM
SOA

Studying for FAP

Quote:
Again, since I don't think that is a universal truth for all SOA lines, it would be odd to make a blanket statement. Hopefully, it was simply misinterpreted or it was made with very specific circumstances.
Sorry for the confusion. Yes, it was in the context of signing Statements of actuarial opinion.
Old 01-25-2018, 04:11 PM
Non-Actuary

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowactuary View Post
Sorry for the confusion. Yes, it was in the context of signing Statements of actuarial opinion.
That is basically what you said to begin with and I am saying it is not true. First, SAOs are a defined term so I would make sure that is the term you want to use. Pretty much all actuaries issue SAOs in one form or another.

Maybe my perspective is skewed coming from a primarily consulting background, but pretty much all formal communication with my clients rise to the level of SAOs. Issuing an SAO does not require one to be MAAA. As far as I can tell, only a narrow subset of SAOs that involve state insurance rate filings would require one to be MAAA.