Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Careers - Employment
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Old 02-05-2018, 03:04 PM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMO View Post
3. Yeah, that's how DTNF solved it. The ratio gives a rather odd result when you apply the technique of dimensional analysis.

I looked at this one by mentally cutting the block in half along the 2 inch dimension. That gave me two identical 3 x 4 slabs. Then I counted corners, edges and faces. Actually you could look at just one of the slabs, since they are identical.
Dividing area by volume doesn't make sense. I think you are calculating the percent of faces that are colored. If I did the math right, that's a bit over 36%
Old 02-05-2018, 03:53 PM
Carol Marler
Non-Actuary

Studying for Nothing actuarial.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westley View Post
Agree 0.441, it's the 0.147 that they calculated, and there's three possible orderings of that (i.e., the last sentence is wrong).

I think the next 3 being random and ordering one sandwich each is fairly well implied in the question. However, it should ask what is the probability of ordering *exactly* 2 egg sandwiches, or you should increase the answer for the possibility that they order 3 egg sandwiches.
exactly.

Pluto is no longer a planet and I am no longer an actuary. Please take my opinions as non-actuarial.

My latest favorite quotes, updated Apr 5, 2018.

Spoiler:
I should keep these four permanently.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rekrap View Post
JMO is right
Quote:
Originally Posted by campbell View Post
I agree with JMO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westley View Post
And def agree w/ JMO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MG View Post
This. And everything else JMO wrote.
And this all purpose permanent quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr T Non-Fan View Post
Yup, it is always someone else's fault.
MORE:
All purpose response for careers forum:
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorNo View Post
Depends upon the employer and the situation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sredni Vashtar View Post
I feel like ERM is 90% buzzwords, and that the underlying agenda is to make sure at least one of your Corporate Officers is not dumb.
Old 02-05-2018, 04:22 PM
CAS

Favorite beer: Root Beer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeppermintPatty View Post
Dividing area by volume doesn't make sense. I think you are calculating the percent of faces that are colored. If I did the math right, that's a bit over 36%
Then Multiply by the number of faces (6) per 1x1x1 cube to get the expected blue faces per piece.
Old 02-05-2018, 04:46 PM
CAS

Right
Old 02-11-2018, 06:14 PM
SOA

So what is the theory on being interviewed first vs last, etc?

Because I think that my interview was first because he told me that several people will be interviewed next week and a decision will come at the end of next week or early week after.

Also, suppose that there are only 5 interviews, of these 5, how many do you think will make it to the onsite?

I checked the glassdoor posting for this job, as well as the linkedin posting for the job. They are both closed. According to linkedin, only 7 applications were submitted for this job. I assume glassdoor would be higher.

So this is weird, why would they close their ads before someone is hired? There is no reason to assume that the current pool of candidates remaining in play will get hired.

So, there were 2 puzzles/brain teasers. I was slow to correctly answer one of them, and he guided me for the other one. Both were rather simple if there wasn't the stress and pressure of some guy on the other line waiting for an answer. Overall, I think I passed but did not ace it. So now it is up to how well the other guys will do. I think my chances are slightly over 50% if the decision is made only based on this phone interview, and perhaps slightly over 70% if the decision is made based on this interview as well as the results of the first round 5 hour code challenge.

Lasted slightly more than the max allotted time of 90 minutes, so I assume that's a good sign. Because he waited for the actual interview, where I answered his questions, was over before he went on to tell me more about the company and role. So the fact that he spent the time to give me this information means that I am still in play. Because if I was cut, then there is no point in extending the length of the interview.
Old 02-12-2018, 06:44 AM
CAS

Having been at the other end of a lot of interviews, I think you are overthinking this.

The order of the interviews is usually random, in my experience. Some admin is tadked with setting them up, and is given an unranked list of interviewees and interviewers.

When I interview, either the time needs to be precise, because the person is moving from interview to interview, or it doesn't. If it needs to be precise, I make sure to finish everything on time, and stretch out even there most painful interview to match the allotted time. If I don't have hard constraints on the end, I just take as long as it takes to get through my list. That can be a bit more or less than the allotted time. If you had a few more questions than I budgeted time for, or if you took a bit longer answering questions, I would still answer your questions.

And people have mixed opinions on the value of brain teaser questions, including the people who ask them. I've never asked them (it's uncommon in actuarial interviews) but I have a lot of friends in computer science, and they ask them. Just last week, a woman told me, "I used to think these questions were total bullshit, until I started asking them. Now I feel I sometimes learn something. Some people give really weird answers. Like the guy I talked to last week who refused to answer. 'i don't do brain teasers', he said. 'it's okay, I'll walk you through it'. 'no, I don't do that.'... So, what else won't he do? What if I give him a task at work that he doesn't like?"

I'm sure some interviewers take them more seriously than she does. But she asks them.

Anyway, good luck, but don't stress too much trying to read info into a pattern that may not mean anything.
Old 02-12-2018, 07:28 AM

Favorite beer: the closest one

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingofants View Post
So this is weird, why would they close their ads before someone is hired? There is no reason to assume that the current pool of candidates remaining in play will get hired.
If they don't like the candidates, they'll re-open it. But, for now, they think at least one of the candidates will be good enough and they don't want to be distracted by new applicants continuing to come in.
Quote:
Originally Posted by King of the North View Post
Excel gave me #VALUE.

Edit: Nevermind, I was linking a sumif and didn't open the linked spreadsheet. It is now giving me #N/A.
Old 02-12-2018, 07:37 AM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by GargoyleWaiting View Post
If they don't like the candidates, they'll re-open it. But, for now, they think at least one of the candidates will be good enough and they don't want to be distracted by new applicants continuing to come in.
Yeah, I meant to say this, too.

Interviewing is expensive. And it takes time to set things up... during which existing candidates might find other jobs and leave the pool. They don't want to start over unless they feel they need to.
Old 02-12-2018, 08:48 AM
CAS

Quote:
'i don't do brain teasers', he said. 'it's okay, I'll walk you through it'. 'no, I don't do that.'... So, what else won't he do? What if I give him a task at work that he doesn't like?"
That guy is going straight for the c-suite imo
Old 02-12-2018, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Having been at the other end of a lot of kingofants threads, I think you are overthinking everything in your life.
Fixed.

The only time I've seen (or at least have been told) of an order is I've been told that recruiters will try to get the ones they think are best to be first or last. If you throw in a rock star first, the other interviews may not happen. And if you throw them in last, the company has become so desperate for a winner that they get really excited. Even when somebody is trying to do that, there's often too many logistical hurdles to really make that happen.

I am going to hold onto your suggestion though. "Oh, I don't answer questions I don't like. Next!"