Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Careers - Employment
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Old 02-05-2018, 10:02 AM
CAS Non-Actuary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corn Row View Post
So many comments about how the recruiter is only concerned with getting a placement, yet the recruiter is explicitly commenting on the negative aspects (amount of hours).
That does not necessarily imply that the recruiter is entirely forthcoming. Recruiter might be hiding other information that is more discouraging than the 11 hours/day "perk".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow View Post
The employer must have made that clear to her that they don't want to waste their time on someone who won't put in the hours.
Exactly.
Old 02-05-2018, 08:40 PM
SOA

College: Loughborough Uni

Woodrow Which country is this?

Japan. But the company is UK based.
Old 02-06-2018, 09:51 AM
SOA AAA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow View Post
Yes, that is pleasantly honest.

The employer must have made that clear to her that they don't want to waste their time on someone who won't put in the hours.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pragmatist View Post
Exactly.
And thus the recruiter doesn't want to waste time with someone who won't put in the hours.
I mean, OP is not the only candidate he/she is trying to fill this commission, er, opening with.
DTNF's Résumé Advice: Have a good and interesting answer to every item on it for the interviews.
DTNF's Law of Job Offers: You not only have to qualify for the position, but you also have to be the best candidate available for the offer.
DTNF's Work Philosophy: I am actuary. Please insert data. -- Actuary Actuarying Rodriguez.
Twitches' Advice to Crazy Women: Please just go buy your 30 cats already.
Old 02-06-2018, 09:53 AM

Favorite beer: the closest one

Quote:
Originally Posted by Act airy View Post
Woodrow Which country is this?

Japan. But the company is UK based.
Japan? The land of Karoshi? 11 hours a day is part-time work in Japan.
Quote:
Originally Posted by King of the North View Post
Excel gave me #VALUE.

Edit: Nevermind, I was linking a sumif and didn't open the linked spreadsheet. It is now giving me #N/A.
Old 02-06-2018, 10:16 AM
CAS

Studying for the credential

Quote:
Originally Posted by GargoyleWaiting View Post
Japan? The land of Karoshi? 11 hours a day is part-time work in Japan.
HAHA you beat me to it.
11 hrs a day is prob below standard.

Also, the high number of hrs of worked is not the only concern when working in Japan. I heard corporate cultures are absolutely terrible there. You're pretty much a slave to all the managers.

Old 02-06-2018, 11:13 AM
CAS

College: Jamba Juice University
Favorite beer: AO Amber Ale

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronaldy27 View Post
HAHA you beat me to it.
11 hrs a day is prob below standard.

Also, the high number of hrs of worked is not the only concern when working in Japan. I heard corporate cultures are absolutely terrible there. You're pretty much a slave to all the managers.
Is it just the salarymen who are like that? I read all these stories about overwork in Japan, but every chart I look at shows that Americans work slightly more hours.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wigmeister General View Post
Don't you even think about sending me your resume. I'll turn it into an origami boulder and return it to you.
Old 02-06-2018, 12:09 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colonel Smoothie View Post
Is it just the salarymen who are like that? I read all these stories about overwork in Japan, but every chart I look at shows that Americans work slightly more hours.
I'm wondering if that's under reporting. The author of one of the overwork articles I read said her company had a policy for understating official work hours. If most of those charts are using official data, instead of confidential survey data, I could see under reporting being a big issue.

Also, I read recently that the marriage rate is much lower in Japan. Something like 1/4 of men and 1/7 of women have never been married by age 50. That seemed really odd to me at the time, but that could be a side-effect of such a rigorous work schedule.

Last edited by kmhst25; 02-06-2018 at 12:20 PM..
Old 02-08-2018, 08:09 AM

I've noticed a few of OP's posts, found it interesting he's in Japan.

OP, I am curious why you did not initially mention the fact that you're in Japan. Did you not think it was important? Japan's corporate culture is very different from the UK or US.

Not sure why you wish to work in Japan, but for your sake I would highly recommend getting a job back in the UK. Not only are the hours better, I'm sure you'll get way more interviews too. I don't know Japan well, but I think it may be hard for you to compete with a Japanese fresh graduate. They all take the Japanese actuarial exams anyway, so you may not get much peer support for your exams.
Old 02-08-2018, 09:24 PM
SOA

College: Loughborough Uni

Well I'm in Japan because I got terrible uni grades and came here to teach English as a foreign language (just an excuse to live abroad) but gradually became able to teach maths at high school. I love the country, so getting a start as an actuary here would be the best of both worlds.

The recruiter is only looking at international companies (about half the staff are non-japanese, or so I hear), which are somewhat spared the karoshi hours (but not entirely). I originally got in touch with her to TALK ABOUT actuarial roles in Japan, but she started pushing like mad for me to get stuff done (CV written in Japanese, Interview questions, etc)

I thought if I can get a year's experience or more here then it would be easier to transfer back to the UK (with the same or another company). I don't want to quit my job without finding another one first. I would be happier to fly back for an interview... just in case. Since that would be less risky than just quitting and hoping for the best, ending up unemployed for some time.

There is also the chance I will never get a job as an actuary, since my uni grades were so low... (3rd in maths = 2.3 or so GPA)
Old 02-08-2018, 10:42 PM
SOA

I work in Japan. I don't work 11 hours/day. I think statements about that karoshi lifestyle may apply to Japanese insurance companies but as a foreigner its highly unlikely you'd get hired by one, unless your Japanese is native level.
I work in Life for the Tokyo branch of an American company and can leave around 5:30 each day, which is a lot better than what I used to do back home actually.

OP, we've PM'd eachother before. If you want details about what recruiter I used, etc feel free to PM again or send me a Line message.

Last edited by Sim; 02-08-2018 at 10:54 PM..

Tags
career changer, consultant entry level, exams before or during