Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Careers - Employment
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Upload your resume securely at https://www.dwsimpson.com
to be contacted when our jobs meet your skills and objectives.

Old 02-06-2018, 05:09 PM

Studying for new job
Favorite beer: H2O

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronaldy27 View Post
Are you high?
Why? I think it's normal to give internship offers just after campus/phone interviews without any onsite
Old 02-06-2018, 05:14 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by HenryGale View Post
Why? I think it's normal to give internship offers just after campus/phone interviews without any onsite
Yeah I've seen video interviews done very often for internship interviews.
Old 02-06-2018, 05:16 PM
SOA AAA

College: Western Washington, Colorado-Boulder

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Polymath View Post
They are mostly "bad" from my experiences.

My condolences on working for a decent practice.
Why would you condole me for working for a decent practice?

Thanks, I guess! Sorry that your Milliman experiences have been different from mine.

If you want to talk privately about what you've seen, I'm happy to talk over PM (that's a sincere offer and I'd keep it confidential).
The opinions of Doctor No do not necessarily represent the opinions of mathematicians or consulting actuaries. Facts cited by Doctor No are not necessarily facts. Find me on Twitter: @NorrisDoug. If you send me a LinkedIn invitation, please let me know who you are (unless it's obvious how I know you).
Old 02-06-2018, 05:29 PM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronaldy27 View Post
Are you high?
I got my first internship based solely on an on-campus interview.
Old 02-06-2018, 05:39 PM
SOA AAA

We do our intern hiring solely over the phone - unless they're from a local college, the first time I'll meet them is the day they show up to work.

I'm also not high right now, but I also have a caffeine deficit that I need to remedy, and may have just overdosed on Hostess Snowballs.
The opinions of Doctor No do not necessarily represent the opinions of mathematicians or consulting actuaries. Facts cited by Doctor No are not necessarily facts. Find me on Twitter: @NorrisDoug. If you send me a LinkedIn invitation, please let me know who you are (unless it's obvious how I know you).
Old 02-06-2018, 05:47 PM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorNo View Post
You're probably "not surprised" because you don't understand that each practice of Milliman does all of their hiring activity independently from every other practice of Milliman.

I've interviewed with Milliman and I thought it was pretty par for the course. Flight, Hotel, Food, & Taxi, all paid for. This was EL not internship though.

I asked for feedback but didn't get any. It's not all that surprising given what I know now about the HR/legal climate around hiring but I was mildly annoyed at the time.

My $0.02 on the actual wording: it seems like a poorly worded way of saying that the intern will be responsible (100% of cost) for getting to Iowa to work there. Aka - no relocation package.
Old 02-06-2018, 05:54 PM
SOA AAA

Insidious First Bond Villain might know more than I, but the wording about travel and accommodations is likely only about expenses AFTER you get the internship.
Meaning:
1. You get here on your own when when you start work.
2. You're on your own regarding where you room and board for the summer.
3. You go back home on your own.

As DrNo implies, you might never have an onsite interview at the shop you'll work.
DrNo, are the internships interviewed and hired from the main hollowed-out volcano?

If so, that means that the IA shop will take on people who can get there and room/board there. Perhaps the intern has a relative in the area, or lives there with parents during the summer but goes to school elsewhere.
DTNF's Résumé Advice: Have a good and interesting answer to every item on it for the interviews.
DTNF's Law of Job Offers: You not only have to qualify for the position, but you also have to be the best candidate available for the offer.
DTNF's Work Philosophy: I am actuary. Please insert data. -- Actuary Actuarying Rodriguez.
Twitches' Advice to Crazy Women: Please just go buy your 30 cats already.
Old 02-06-2018, 05:55 PM
SOA AAA

Quote:
Originally Posted by YetAnotherCareerChanger View Post
I asked for feedback but didn't get any. It's not all that surprising given what I know now about the HR/legal climate around hiring but I was mildly annoyed at the time.
Agreed 100%. On the part of the hirer, you want to give good feedback on why we didn't pick you, but it's not particularly feasible in our litigious climate. I probably err on the side of telling too much, but you root for these people when they come in, and you've read their stories and you want them to do well. There are some "bless your heart" candidates where you want them to succeed so bad, but you know that the job's going to break them. (And sometimes it truly is "you were good, but someone else was better", although we have on occasions hired two people when we posted for one).
Old 02-06-2018, 05:57 PM
SOA AAA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr T Non-Fan View Post
DrNo, are the internships interviewed and hired from the main hollowed-out volcano?
We're leasing our own volcano these days.
Old 02-06-2018, 06:05 PM
Carol Marler
Non-Actuary

Studying for Nothing actuarial.

Quote:
We're leasing our own volcano these days.
I remember the day when "Mt St. Helens is coming to see YOU."

Pluto is no longer a planet and I am no longer an actuary. Please take my opinions as non-actuarial.

My latest favorite quotes, updated Apr 5, 2018.

Spoiler:
I should keep these four permanently.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rekrap View Post
JMO is right
Quote:
Originally Posted by campbell View Post
I agree with JMO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westley View Post
And def agree w/ JMO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MG View Post
This. And everything else JMO wrote.
And this all purpose permanent quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr T Non-Fan View Post
Yup, it is always someone else's fault.
MORE:
All purpose response for careers forum:
Quote:
Depends upon the employer and the situation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sredni Vashtar View Post
I feel like ERM is 90% buzzwords, and that the underlying agenda is to make sure at least one of your Corporate Officers is not dumb.