Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Careers - Employment
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Old 02-06-2018, 07:11 PM
SOA AAA

College: Western Washington, Colorado-Boulder

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMO View Post
I remember the day when "Mt St. Helens is coming to see YOU."
Yeah, I have to admit that MSH did some great marketing efforts back in the day. SW Washington is a beautiful place to live, but it's surprisingly hard to get good candidates, and the volcano business is pretty competitive (especially in the PNW).

Although to be fair, they're continuing to lead the way on social media:
https://twitter.com/mtsthelenswa
The opinions of Doctor No do not necessarily represent the opinions of mathematicians or consulting actuaries. Facts cited by Doctor No are not necessarily facts. Find me on Twitter: @NorrisDoug. If you send me a LinkedIn invitation, please let me know who you are (unless it's obvious how I know you).
Old 02-07-2018, 10:21 AM
Muppet Queen
Site Supporter
CAS AAA

Studying for my yearly physical
Favorite beer: battered onion rings

wow. looks tone deaf. You're a poor college student, but we expect you to pay for everything. - they'll attract the truly desperate. Will this person be on their own at the client site? Or will s/he work with someone there?

Life sucks like a hoover. Grab the handle or get in the bag. fun king ded
http://www.actuarialoutpost.com/actu...82&postcount=5 Maine-iac thinks I'm smart
Old 02-07-2018, 01:49 PM
SOA AAA

College: Western Washington, Colorado-Boulder

Quote:
Originally Posted by L. Mo View Post
wow. looks tone deaf. You're a poor college student, but we expect you to pay for everything. - they'll attract the truly desperate. Will this person be on their own at the client site? Or will s/he work with someone there?
I agree that it reads weird, but that's not how I interpret it. It reads to me as "we want you to pay your own way to and from West Des Moines so that you can do the job, and you're responsible for your housing."

"Able to travel to client sites (e.g., West Des Moines IA) up to 100% (travel and accommodations responsibility of the intern)."

Admittedly, an "i.e." would align more with my interpretation than "e.g.", although people frequently mix those up. Lots of companies have interns pay their own housing (presumably with a high enough salary to make it worthwhile), and lots of companies make you pay to show up at your job.
The opinions of Doctor No do not necessarily represent the opinions of mathematicians or consulting actuaries. Facts cited by Doctor No are not necessarily facts. Find me on Twitter: @NorrisDoug. If you send me a LinkedIn invitation, please let me know who you are (unless it's obvious how I know you).
Old 02-07-2018, 02:03 PM
Wiki/Note Contributor
CAS

Studying for ACAS
College: Hard Knocks
Favorite beer: Sam Adams Cherry Wheat

I got about an inch of MSH 3 days after the blow up . . . and we weren't exactly close to the site.

Why should I worry about dying? It’s not going to happen in my lifetime!

Freedom of speech is not a license to discourtesy

#BLACKMATTERLIVES
Old 02-07-2018, 02:04 PM
SOA AAA

As has already been written earlier, this is an opening for someone with familial ties to the area. Everyone else need not apply. Even desperate people.
DTNF's Résumé Advice: Have a good and interesting answer to every item on it for the interviews.
DTNF's Law of Job Offers: You not only have to qualify for the position, but you also have to be the best candidate available for the offer.
DTNF's Work Philosophy: I am actuary. Please insert data. -- Actuary Actuarying Rodriguez.
Twitches' Advice to Crazy Women: Please just go buy your 30 cats already.
Old 02-07-2018, 07:25 PM
CAS

Studying for Exam 7

What's confusing is the "primary location" of Seattle or Philadelphia. Why not list the position as in Des Moines? Or does the person have to spend time in Seattle and/or Philly too?
Old 02-07-2018, 07:30 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by lllj View Post
What's confusing is the "primary location" of Seattle or Philadelphia. Why not list the position as in Des Moines? Or does the person have to spend time in Seattle and/or Philly too?
... guessing its a formality or something.
Old 02-07-2018, 07:58 PM
Non-Actuary

Studying for Rcpp, Git

Quote:
Originally Posted by lllj View Post
My guess is that they're looking for someone from Seattle or Philadelphia (probably one of their offices there) who can cover all of their travel expenses to Des Moines. Note that travel is "up to" 100% of the time.

If one has enough money to pay for such travel, one probably wouldn't need this internship.

Why I hate Microsoft Access.

Studying/Reading: Machine Learning and Pattern Recognition
Old 02-07-2018, 09:35 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarinetist View Post
My guess is that they're looking for someone from Seattle or Philadelphia (probably one of their offices there) who can cover all of their travel expenses to Des Moines. Note that travel is "up to" 100% of the time.

If one has enough money to pay for such travel, one probably wouldn't need this internship.
No way thats the case.... i can't see a company thinking any intern is willing to pay for frequent flights to des moines.... i imagine they're looking for iowa candidates who'll either never show up to the seattle/philly office or will just show up once (which would be paid for).
Old 02-07-2018, 09:39 PM
SOA

Also is it possible this is one of those fake postings where they say they couldn't find a us citizen to fill the role, and so they sponsor a kid on a h1 visa that they planned on hiring in the first place?