Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Careers - Employment
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Browse Open Actuarial Jobs

Life  Health  Casualty  Pension  Entry Level  All Jobs  Salaries

Old 02-07-2018, 08:40 PM
Non-Actuary

Studying for Rcpp, Git

Quote:
Originally Posted by royevans View Post
No way thats the case.... i can't see a company thinking any intern is willing to pay for frequent flights to des moines.... i imagine they're looking for iowa candidates who'll either never show up to the seattle/philly office or will just show up once (which would be paid for).
I'm not sure how else to interpret

Quote:
This position will have a primary location of Philadelphia or Seattle, however the expectation is that the work will be nearly 100% onsite at the client in West Des Moines, Iowa. No travel or accommodation assistance will be provided.

Why I hate Microsoft Access.

Studying/Reading: Machine Learning and Pattern Recognition
Old 02-07-2018, 08:43 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarinetist View Post
I'm not sure how else to interpret
ya... expectation is 100% onsite in iowa... no reason to hire from philly or seattle. or maybe they dont care where they hire from... they're just letting the intern know what they're getting into.

the latter is probably true.
Old 02-07-2018, 08:50 PM
SOA AAA

My guess is that the primary consultant works out of Wayne, PA. Seattle is the home office.
Intern will not phyically be in Seattle WA or Wayne PA. Some seasoned pro from one of those places will jet in to Iowa. (On company/client dime.)

Might be for tax/payroll reasons?
DTNF's Résumé Advice: Have a good and interesting answer to every item on it for the interviews.
DTNF's Law of Job Offers: You not only have to qualify for the position, but you also have to be the best candidate available for the offer.
DTNF's Work Philosophy: I am actuary. Please insert data. -- Actuary Actuarying Rodriguez.
Twitches' Advice to Crazy Women: Please just go buy your 30 cats already.
Old 02-07-2018, 09:05 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr T Non-Fan View Post
My guess is that the primary consultant works out of Wayne, PA. Seattle is the home office.
Intern will not phyically be in Seattle WA or Wayne PA. Some seasoned pro from one of those places will jet in to Iowa. (On company/client dime.)

Might be for tax/payroll reasons?
so whats the point of the intern? why not just have the seasoned pro jet into iowa without the intern being there? seems risky to have an intern suddenly work at a client office.

is it so the seasoned pro has an interns bed to crash on when hes in iowa?

Last edited by royevans; 02-07-2018 at 09:35 PM..
Old 02-07-2018, 09:50 PM

Quote:
I am def not applying lol. I'm not sure if I am missing something.

They want an intern to fly out to des moines on their own dime? Also they're looking for 3.8+ gpa'ers.

https://recruiting2.ultipro.com/MIL1...2-68ab22284b64

Like I must be missing something.

why not make the location in iowa instead of seattle or pa? or maybe thats what theyre hinting at...not sure. Just seems forced travel without pay is unusual.
LOL you missed another great part:

"No travel or accommodation assistance will be provided. Nights and weekends may also be necessary as client demands dictate."

Is this a troll job posting? Or are there really that many desperate interns that are willing to get taken advantage of?
Old 02-07-2018, 09:54 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masked Avenger View Post
LOL you missed another great part:

"No travel or accommodation assistance will be provided. Nights and weekends may also be necessary as client demands dictate."

Is this a troll job posting? Or are there really that many desperate interns that are willing to get taken advantage of?
oh ya, i read that too. i thought that was a joke as well, but you know... one critique at a time.

on second thought though, i think many intern would actually be ok considering this is prolly their first "high paying" job and over time would be like 30 bucks an hour.... but of course that depends on the individual.
Old 02-07-2018, 09:55 PM

I'm sitting here laughing that someone would really make an intern work over a weekend. Holy moly.

"Where is that intern? We need his expertise to get this hammered out over the weekend to get it to the client on Monday morning!"
Old 02-07-2018, 09:57 PM

I can't imagine any self-respecting company posting a job like this. Completely tone deaf.
Old 02-07-2018, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Do you mind elaborating? From my short experience, they are regarded highly.
There was some thread in the past about other examples of ridiculous hoops they made applicants jump through like writing multiple essays or completing multi-hour projects. Can't find it at the moment.
Old 02-07-2018, 10:02 PM
CAS SOA

College: sr. yr

When I interned we all would've loved working beyond the 9-5. That's like, 1.5 pay so like 40 an hour, which is like a week's worth of groceries for a college student. Besides, what else are you gonna do in West Des Moines?