Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Careers - Employment
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Salary Surveys
Property & Casualty, Life, Health & Pension

Health Actuary Jobs
Insurance & Consulting jobs for Students, Associates & Fellows

Actuarial Recruitment
Visit DW Simpson's website for more info.
www.dwsimpson.com/about

Casualty Jobs
Property & Casualty jobs for Students, Associates & Fellows

Old 02-08-2018, 12:18 PM
CAS

Studying for nothing at all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr T Non-Fan View Post
OK, I'll go with "Some Drake U kid has the job, but the rules are you have to make an opening public, so that is why this 'job opening' exists."
That is what I assumed from the beginning of this thread.

Bourbon(16)
Pappy Van Winkle-Family Reserve 15yr & lot "B" 12yr
Baker's 7yr
Blanton's
Knob Creek - 9yr
Basil Hayden
Maker's Mark - 46 & Cask Strength
Woodford Reserve
Jack Daniel's-Gentleman Jack, Single Barrel & Old #7
Four Roses Small Batch
Noah's Mill
Kirkland Bourbon - 7yr

Rye(6)
Angle Envy's - Finished Rye
Ravenswood Rye
Bulleit
High West - Double Rye
Whistle Pig - 10 yr
Old Overholt

Scotch(4)
Glenfiddich - The Distiller's Edition
Tomatin 12yr
The Dimple Pinch - 15 yr
Dewar's White Label

Irish(6)

Middleton Very Rare
Redbreast 12yr
Bushmill - Single Malt 16 yr
Connemarai
Jameson - Caskmates Stout and Regular
Old 02-08-2018, 12:29 PM
SOA AAA

You so smart
DTNF's Résumé Advice: Have a good and interesting answer to every item on it for the interviews.
DTNF's Law of Job Offers: You not only have to qualify for the position, but you also have to be the best candidate available for the offer.
DTNF's Work Philosophy: I am actuary. Please insert data. -- Actuary Actuarying Rodriguez.
Twitches' Advice to Crazy Women: Please just go buy your 30 cats already.
Old 02-08-2018, 12:48 PM
SOA AAA

College: Western Washington, Colorado-Boulder

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathmajor View Post
I interviewed another office - grilled for six hours to be an analyst (way overkill), got a crappy offer despite it seeming like a sweatshop. Was not desperate. Got a nice raise at my current place.
Congratulations! Whatever leverage you get in your career, use it.

I'll defend the six hour interview (ours are full day and include lunch and dinner on most occasions). We sincerely want to get to know you, we plan our interviews carefully, and this is also your opportunity to talk to us and figure out if you want to work with us (we don't want to hire you and then find out that you're miserable three months later). We aren't the best fit for everyone - for starters, you have to work with me.

We don't have a reputation as a sweatshop, however, AFAIK.
The opinions of Doctor No do not necessarily represent the opinions of mathematicians or consulting actuaries. Facts cited by Doctor No are not necessarily facts. Find me on Twitter: @NorrisDoug. If you send me a LinkedIn invitation, please let me know who you are (unless it's obvious how I know you).
Old 02-08-2018, 01:05 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorNo View Post
Congratulations! Whatever leverage you get in your career, use it.

I'll defend the six hour interview (ours are full day and include lunch and dinner on most occasions). We sincerely want to get to know you, we plan our interviews carefully, and this is also your opportunity to talk to us and figure out if you want to work with us (we don't want to hire you and then find out that you're miserable three months later). We aren't the best fit for everyone - for starters, you have to work with me.

We don't have a reputation as a sweatshop, however, AFAIK.
interesting. I've certainly attended interviews that were 4-5 hours, and one problem I find is out of the 6 or so questions an interviewers ask, 3-4 are the same between each interviewer. After talking to 2 interviewers, I start to feel unconfident in my answers as I hear myself saying it a couple times already, and the answer just seems so trite. Certainly, there are benefits on the side of the employer to conduct long interviews (which is why most employers do that), but I've always despaired such interviews.

My favorite interview was when I just did a 1 hour session with 6 managers infront of me at the same time... very unusual setting, but short and to the point.
Old 02-08-2018, 01:08 PM
SOA AAA

Just note that when a company schedules a whole day of interviews, it's not doing that for ten different candidates. That is the short list. At least I hope, for a company that gets its revenues paid by the hour.
DTNF's Résumé Advice: Have a good and interesting answer to every item on it for the interviews.
DTNF's Law of Job Offers: You not only have to qualify for the position, but you also have to be the best candidate available for the offer.
DTNF's Work Philosophy: I am actuary. Please insert data. -- Actuary Actuarying Rodriguez.
Old 02-08-2018, 02:03 PM
SOA AAA

College: Western Washington, Colorado-Boulder

Quote:
Originally Posted by royevans View Post
interesting. I've certainly attended interviews that were 4-5 hours, and one problem I find is out of the 6 or so questions an interviewers ask, 3-4 are the same between each interviewer. After talking to 2 interviewers, I start to feel unconfident in my answers as I hear myself saying it a couple times already, and the answer just seems so trite. Certainly, there are benefits on the side of the employer to conduct long interviews (which is why most employers do that), but I've always despaired such interviews.
Agreed with this. We have rough scripts for each interviewer so that we're not covering the same ground.
The opinions of Doctor No do not necessarily represent the opinions of mathematicians or consulting actuaries. Facts cited by Doctor No are not necessarily facts. Find me on Twitter: @NorrisDoug. If you send me a LinkedIn invitation, please let me know who you are (unless it's obvious how I know you).
Old 02-08-2018, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskey View Post
That is what I assumed from the beginning of this thread.
Why would you make that assumption with no evidence?
Old 02-08-2018, 03:46 PM
CAS

College: Jamba Juice University
Favorite beer: AO Amber Ale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masked Avenger View Post
Why would you make that assumption with no evidence?
In any system as strong as Paeno arithmetic, there are going to be statements that are true, but unprovable within the system.

Humanity would make no progress, if we didn't make assumptions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wigmeister General View Post
Don't you even think about sending me your resume. I'll turn it into an origami boulder and return it to you.
Old 02-08-2018, 04:22 PM
SOA AAA

Intution. And not worrying about being wrong in this instance.
Old 02-08-2018, 05:10 PM
SOA AAA

Studying for Japanese
College: B.S. Applied Math
Favorite beer: La Croix Grapefruit

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorNo View Post
Agreed with this. We have rough scripts for each interviewer so that we're not covering the same ground.
I don't know about every office but I've had recruiters tell me certain offices are sweatshops. When recruiters tell you that, it's real.

Every pair asked to "describe yourself" and by the time I'd told my story six different times it stopped sounding real.

The recruiter got annoyed at me because this was my 'reneg an unofficial acceptance' faux pas (and it's a major recruiter, but not DW) and won't work with me anymore. I only have a slightly smaller army of recruiters working with me now. Bummer. I get why, but the guy was pushy and got a yes out of me.

I'm sure my picture is on a dartboard somewhere.

Exams or whatever