Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Careers - Employment
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Old 02-12-2018, 08:10 AM
SOA

Default How to Look for a Non-Actuarial Job

I'm not particularly unhappy with my job/actuarial, but I know there are other data analysis jobs that I would prefer. I can't leave my current area for at least a year or two, due to mr. k25's job, and I don't expect a whole lot of interesting analyst jobs to open up around here - however, I do expect there to be some. How do I make sure that I'm aware of those?

Since I'm not actively looking for a new job right this minute, it doesn't seem efficient for me to check job postings all the time. However, the last time I signed up to have newly posted "analyst" jobs sent to my email I mostly got terrible, low-paying positions (because you can call almost any job "something analyst").

Is one of the job websites better than the others (Monster, Glassdoor, etc.)? Is there a better way to stay on top of relevant positions?
Old 02-12-2018, 08:27 AM
CAS

"Data analysis" is such a broad and vague job description, so it helps to narrow down your options. What industry do you want to work in? What kinds of tools or analysis do you want to work on?

As for job searching sites, I tend to use Indeed and LinkedIn. But it's much more effective, IMO, to know specifically what roles and industries you're targeting, then start networking with specific people in that field.
Old 02-12-2018, 09:15 AM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinguino View Post
"Data analysis" is such a broad and vague job description, so it helps to narrow down your options. What industry do you want to work in? What kinds of tools or analysis do you want to work on?

As for job searching sites, I tend to use Indeed and LinkedIn. But it's much more effective, IMO, to know specifically what roles and industries you're targeting, then start networking with specific people in that field.
See, this is where it gets foggy. I like survey data analysis, jobs that combine qualitative and quantitative analysis, and customer/employee satisfaction scoring. The types of analysis you can do with that are pretty much unlimited (correlation, binomial regression, ANOVA, comment analysis, etc.).

However, that's a relatively new field with relatively few open positions and a lot of companies aren't quite sure what to categorize those positions as. Some companies put them in HR, others in a statistical analysis or problem solving department, and plenty just rely on an outside vendor/don't do it at all.

At my last company, the title for this position was "Business Analyst". So that's not super helpful. And I'm not saying I absolutely want to work with survey data or it's a no-go, either. It's possible that there aren't any search terms for what I'm looking for. :/
Old 02-12-2018, 10:38 AM
CAS

This is going to sound harsh, but if OP can't figure out how to search for a job that matches their interests, I don't know why an employer would be interested in paying them to do analytical work.
Old 02-12-2018, 10:52 AM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnLevel View Post
This is going to sound harsh, but if OP can't figure out how to search for a job that matches their interests, I don't know why an employer would be interested in paying them to do analytical work.
This is going to sound harsh, but if OnLevel doesn't have the reading comprehension to see that I said I'm not actively searching for a job, but just trying to be aware of postings that match my interests, I don't know why an employer would be interested in paying them to do any work that required reading.
Old 02-12-2018, 11:21 AM
CAS

Since your field of interest is not well structured or developed, it's probably better for you to find specific people who have careers similar to your goals. Add them to your network so that you may get targeted advice.
Old 02-12-2018, 11:27 AM
CAS

Studying for Freedom

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmhst25 View Post
See, this is where it gets foggy. I like survey data analysis, jobs that combine qualitative and quantitative analysis, and customer/employee satisfaction scoring. The types of analysis you can do with that are pretty much unlimited (correlation, binomial regression, ANOVA, comment analysis, etc.).

:/
This sounds like bio-stats to me...This is what my friend does. She is a biostatistician at a consulting company...
Old 02-12-2018, 02:02 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinguino View Post
Since your field of interest is not well structured or developed, it's probably better for you to find specific people who have careers similar to your goals. Add them to your network so that you may get targeted advice.
I know the husband of someone in the field. I don't love the idea of using networking to get a job, but this is good advice.
Old 02-12-2018, 02:03 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueblade View Post
This sounds like bio-stats to me...This is what my friend does. She is a biostatistician at a consulting company...
This is helpful. Biostatistics sounds like a field I would be equally interested in, that is much more searchable than "analyst".
Old 02-12-2018, 02:04 PM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmhst25 View Post
I know the husband of someone in the field. I don't love the idea of using networking to get a job, but this is good advice.
Networking is far and away the best way to get a job