Actuarial Outpost
 
Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Careers - Employment
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Browse Open Actuarial Jobs

Life  Health  Casualty  Pension  Entry Level  All Jobs  Salaries


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #21  
Old 02-13-2018, 01:16 PM
DataDan's Avatar
DataDan DataDan is offline
Member
SOA
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: East Coast US
Posts: 2,916
Default

fwiw, I work about 42 weeks @ 40 hours and about 10 weeks at 50-60 hours. That includes about 5 or 6 weekends a year and maybe 4 'working till midnight' a year.

Never more than 3 long weeks at a time, so there is typically a chance to catch your breath here. Also we know when long weeks are coming well in advance and can plan our personal lives around them. This is the best system I have worked in during my short career. Plus points for having a boss that understands work/life balance; bad boss = bad job imo.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 02-13-2018, 01:42 PM
ElDucky's Avatar
ElDucky ElDucky is offline
Free Mason
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: In a van, down by the river
Studying for Let me worry about blank
Favorite beer: Trappistes Rochefort 8
Posts: 39,696
Default

If you get no particular satisfaction from your work, your goal should be to work the minimum possible to maintain the lifestyle you seek. So, anything above about 30 is pushing it.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 02-13-2018, 01:43 PM
ElDucky's Avatar
ElDucky ElDucky is offline
Free Mason
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: In a van, down by the river
Studying for Let me worry about blank
Favorite beer: Trappistes Rochefort 8
Posts: 39,696
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DataDan View Post
fwiw, I work about 42 weeks @ 40 hours and about 10 weeks at 50-60 hours. That includes about 5 or 6 weekends a year and maybe 4 'working till midnight' a year.

Never more than 3 long weeks at a time, so there is typically a chance to catch your breath here. Also we know when long weeks are coming well in advance and can plan our personal lives around them. This is the best system I have worked in during my short career. Plus points for having a boss that understands work/life balance; bad boss = bad job imo.
You get no vacation? That sucks.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 02-13-2018, 02:01 PM
Fracktuary Fracktuary is offline
Member
CAS
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 1,620
Default

I wouldnt want to work anywhere that requires more than 40 on a regular basis.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 02-13-2018, 02:18 PM
JMO's Avatar
JMO JMO is offline
Carol Marler
Non-Actuary
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Back home again in Indiana
Studying for Nothing actuarial.
Posts: 36,769
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by snikelfritz View Post
You haven't actually said how long the hours you're working are though.....
Here's a number for you, snik:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElPatron View Post
I'm surprised no one has said it, but the answer to this question really is 42.
But really, the answer is not a number of hours. It's about the entire situation, and hours is just one element of it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElDucky View Post
If you get no particular satisfaction from your work, your goal should be to work the minimum possible to maintain the lifestyle you seek. So, anything above about 30 is pushing it find a job that fits you better.
IFYQ
__________________
Carol Marler, "Just My Opinion"

Pluto is no longer a planet and I am no longer an actuary. Please take my opinions as non-actuarial.


My latest favorite quotes, updated Feb 15, 2018. Hmmm. It's been quite a while.

Spoiler:
I should keep these four permanently.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rekrap View Post
JMO is right
Quote:
Originally Posted by campbell View Post
I agree with JMO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westley View Post
And def agree w/ JMO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MG View Post
This. And everything else JMO wrote.
And this all purpose permanent quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr T Non-Fan View Post
Yup, it is always someone else's fault.
MORE:
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeppermintPatty View Post
But sometimes you get someone who has that charming mix of "don't care" and "don't get it", and there's just not much you can do.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bro View Post
I recommend you get perspective.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enough Exams Already View Post
Dude, you can't fail a personality test. It just isn't that kind of test.
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 02-13-2018, 02:22 PM
jas66Kent's Avatar
jas66Kent jas66Kent is offline
Member
SOA
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: London
Favorite beer: Corona :)
Posts: 21,803
Default

The last two months have been insane at my job so I understand where you are coming from.

I was pushing 60hrs/week which for the UK is a hell of a lot.

If you continue to be in the 50+ range then it is more than likely that your dept. is under-resourced.

They are essentially profiting from sucking up some of your free time.

If need be, ask for time off en lieu (TOIL) if you are going over the standard hours significantly during busy periods. This is what I have been doing.
__________________
Quote:
“Stupidity is a more dangerous enemy of the good than malice. Against stupidity we are defenseless. Neither protests nor the use of force accomplish anything here; reasons fall on deaf ears; facts that contradict one’s prejudgment simply need not be believed – in such moments the stupid person even becomes critical – and when facts are irrefutable they are just pushed aside as inconsequential, as incidental. For that reason, greater caution is called for when dealing with a stupid person than with a malicious one".
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 02-13-2018, 02:39 PM
ElDucky's Avatar
ElDucky ElDucky is offline
Free Mason
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: In a van, down by the river
Studying for Let me worry about blank
Favorite beer: Trappistes Rochefort 8
Posts: 39,696
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMO View Post

IFYQ
Millionaire astronaut cowboy was already taken.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 02-13-2018, 02:52 PM
Westley Westley is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Posts: 26,418
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jas66Kent View Post
If need be, ask for time off en lieu (TOIL) if you are going over the standard hours significantly during busy periods.
Is that like a formal thing, that's tracked and such? No such thing in US that I've seen, although I think it's totally normal to have people do this, just not formal.

I had a written agreement between one former employee (just between the two of us) that she would agree not to take sick or vaca unless truly urgent during certain weeks and months, she would also work late as need (which was expected) and she would also get two extra weeks of vacation that we wouldn't put into the HR system - because there's no way to increase that allocation in the HR system or do anything else outside of the prescribed package (which is normal in the US I think).
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 02-13-2018, 02:57 PM
jas66Kent's Avatar
jas66Kent jas66Kent is offline
Member
SOA
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: London
Favorite beer: Corona :)
Posts: 21,803
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westley View Post
Is that like a formal thing, that's tracked and such? No such thing in US that I've seen, although I think it's totally normal to have people do this, just not formal.

I had a written agreement between one former employee (just between the two of us) that she would agree not to take sick or vaca unless truly urgent during certain weeks and months, she would also work late as need (which was expected) and she would also get two extra weeks of vacation that we wouldn't put into the HR system - because there's no way to increase that allocation in the HR system or do anything else outside of the prescribed package (which is normal in the US I think).
Yes, we have policies in regards to TOIL. Max of 12 days TOIL in any 12 month rolling period. You put it into the HR systems just like you would with vacation, but you have to essentially agree with the higher ups on how much you get relative to the extra hours worked. i.e. if you put in 100 extra hours, and you have say 7.5 in a standard day, with TOIL you might get 5 days off extra (37.5% of the total). Usually falls between 30-50% of the extra hours worked.
__________________
Quote:
“Stupidity is a more dangerous enemy of the good than malice. Against stupidity we are defenseless. Neither protests nor the use of force accomplish anything here; reasons fall on deaf ears; facts that contradict one’s prejudgment simply need not be believed – in such moments the stupid person even becomes critical – and when facts are irrefutable they are just pushed aside as inconsequential, as incidental. For that reason, greater caution is called for when dealing with a stupid person than with a malicious one".
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 02-13-2018, 03:09 PM
Egghead's Avatar
Egghead Egghead is offline
Member
SOA
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 5,720
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ao fan View Post
do they? i think it varies with them too and i'm guessing they also are unhappy about it.
When I complain about working 60 hours in my "light" weeks, several of my non-actuary friends seem unsympathetic. To them, that's what it takes to be paid well.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:39 AM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
*PLEASE NOTE: Posts are not checked for accuracy, and do not
represent the views of the Actuarial Outpost or its sponsors.
Page generated in 0.31947 seconds with 9 queries