Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Careers - Employment
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Old 02-13-2018, 03:20 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by DataDan View Post
fwiw, I work about 42 weeks @ 40 hours and about 10 weeks at 50-60 hours. That includes about 5 or 6 weekends a year and maybe 4 'working till midnight' a year.

Never more than 3 long weeks at a time, so there is typically a chance to catch your breath here. Also we know when long weeks are coming well in advance and can plan our personal lives around them. This is the best system I have worked in during my short career. Plus points for having a boss that understands work/life balance; bad boss = bad job imo.
Yeah, this is more what I'm used to from other positions. You have your busy weeks, but you generally know when those are, and can plan around them. You also know when there is light at the end of the tunnel.
Old 02-13-2018, 03:25 PM
SOA

I work roughly 45 hours of "standard" hours. Then I come home, eat dinner, and log back on for 2 to 4 hours. So that's how I'm now at a standard 60 hours per week.

In rough weeks, it's a consistent 4 hours per night, plus time on the weekends. So easily 70+ in those weeks.
Old 02-13-2018, 03:30 PM

Studying for Nope
Favorite beer: Yep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Egghead View Post
When I complain about working 60 hours in my "light" weeks, several of my non-actuary friends seem unsympathetic. To them, that's what it takes to be paid well.
Get out.

I'm ok with 50 ongoing and 60 if necessary on occasion, but routine 60 or 60+ isn't worth it for stock options, you can probably get the same total comp elsewhere.
Old 02-13-2018, 03:45 PM

Quote:
I work roughly 45 hours of "standard" hours. Then I come home, eat dinner, and log back on for 2 to 4 hours. So that's how I'm now at a standard 60 hours per week.
I've been close to that before, never consistently that bad. Nothing wrong with it if you're happy, like the work, are maintaining your health, wife/fam on board with it, etc. If not, seems like an obvious decision to GTFO. Hard to envision stock options being generous enough to justify that if you're not happy and healthy.
Old 02-13-2018, 03:45 PM
SOA

Quote:

In rough weeks, it's a consistent 4 hours per night, plus time on the weekends. So easily 70+ in those weeks.
Can you leverage the exit of the other person to negotiate for more staff and/or fewer projects?

If not, I'd start plotting an exit strategy...note that if you're in an area that is tremendously overworked, an internal transfer may not be as easy as you might hope (I've seen people trying to escape overworked areas that have their transfer get delayed, denied, or cause the person to work 2 jobs until backfilled).
Old 02-13-2018, 03:48 PM

Quote:
When I complain about working 60 hours in my "light" weeks, several of my non-actuary friends seem unsympathetic. To them, that's what it takes to be paid well.
Yeah, don't go to losers and ask them to be sympathetic relative to your awesome life, just focus on making your life more awesome.
Old 02-13-2018, 03:49 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westley View Post
I've been close to that before, never consistently that bad. Nothing wrong with it if you're happy, like the work, are maintaining your health, wife/fam on board with it, etc. If not, seems like an obvious decision to GTFO. Hard to envision stock options being generous enough to justify that if you're not happy and healthy.
Yeah, I was partly trying to figure out if my experience was unusual. I don't want to assume grass is greener when it's not. I hear that consultants making my level of pay have to work ridiculous hours, so that doesn't sound any better.

But no, I'm not particularly enjoying the work, and there is little time for exercise or spending with family outside of weekends. On weekends, I'm so tired, I spend a lot of time just recovering.
Old 02-13-2018, 03:55 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by cincinnatikid View Post
Can you leverage the exit of the other person to negotiate for more staff and/or fewer projects?

If not, I'd start plotting an exit strategy...note that if you're in an area that is tremendously overworked, an internal transfer may not be as easy as you might hope (I've seen people trying to escape overworked areas that have their transfer get delayed, denied, or cause the person to work 2 jobs until backfilled).
Yeah, so far they've said they will backfill that guy, put his replacement under me, along with two guys who used to support him, plus get me one other totally new person at a high individual contributor level. My boss is trying to get an additional totally new person, but the response so far has been, "Let's try just one new position, and see how it goes." Part of their thinking is that it will just all work more efficiently when it's all reporting to me. And that may be true to a certain extent, because I like telling people "no" when what they're asking for is stupid.

And, yes, when I've moved from one overworked team internally in the past, it's really hard to disentangle. People keep coming to you with questions until a replacement gets up to speed.

Plus, I'm worried that my company may be getting worse. We had a change in leadership at a high level, and lots of people are getting clobbered. My last boss had to work 15 hours unexpectedly this past Sunday when something he submitted on Friday was deemed insufficient, even though he addressed every single thing he'd been asked to do.

Last edited by Egghead; 02-13-2018 at 04:04 PM..
Old 02-13-2018, 03:58 PM
Official AO Grill Master
SOA

Studying for :lol:
Favorite beer: Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathmajor View Post
If I'm interested in and engaged in the work, I'm much more elastic in terms of hours. If the "work" is annoying, extra hours are due to something dumb (bad systems, analyst didn't do it) or pure understaffing, the day will crawl by and weigh on my mind.

Oh, and I'll leave. I've had a hiring manager ask why I move jobs so much. I don't put up with stagnation and work that is not a test of my abilities. Sounds conceited. Maybe it is.
This is my take as well. I've worked past midnight both happily and in protest. Happily was when I was working in a group where everyone just had to do that sometimes. In protest was when the client created a completely contrived deadline for something that I was the only person who could do it.

So, maybe ask if there's some TPS reports you can get off your plate while you're at it?
Old 02-13-2018, 04:16 PM
SOA

Quote:
Are your non-actuary friends doctors and lawyers?