Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Careers - Employment
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Upload your resume securely at https://www.dwsimpson.com
to be contacted when new jobs meet your skills and objectives.

Old 02-13-2018, 04:20 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmhst25 View Post
Are your non-actuary friends doctors and lawyers?
Mainly IT guys. Plus one doc and one engineer.
Old 02-13-2018, 04:32 PM
SOA

Favorite beer: Corona :)

Lawyers dont work 60+ hours/week unless they are associates.

Partners do not work anywhere near that much.
“Stupidity is a more dangerous enemy of the good than malice. Against stupidity we are defenseless. Neither protests nor the use of force accomplish anything here; reasons fall on deaf ears; facts that contradict one’s prejudgment simply need not be believed – in such moments the stupid person even becomes critical – and when facts are irrefutable they are just pushed aside as inconsequential, as incidental. For that reason, greater caution is called for when dealing with a stupid person than with a malicious one".
Old 02-13-2018, 04:36 PM
SOA AAA

Studying for Japanese
College: B.S. Applied Math
Favorite beer: La Croix Grapefruit

Quote:
Originally Posted by ditkaworshipper View Post
This is my take as well. I've worked past midnight both happily and in protest. Happily was when I was working in a group where everyone just had to do that sometimes. In protest was when the client created a completely contrived deadline for something that I was the only person who could do it.

So, maybe ask if there's some TPS reports you can get off your plate while you're at it?
It's usually something stupid. Let's be honest.

One time coming in on the weekend in shorts, it was because our rate review methodology changed last minute and we scrambled to meet an internal deadline. Then the deadline was moved.

In consulting it's happened more. Again, a lot of times a last minute request, overpromised timeline, someone was supposed to do something but didn't.

Before anyone goes on with "oh manage your time better" ... you can tell someone to do X at time Y. Doesn't mean it'll happen. *insert excuse here*

Please forgive unintended sarcasm
Old 02-13-2018, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathmajor View Post

One time coming in on the weekend in shorts, it was because our rate review methodology changed last minute and we scrambled to meet an internal deadline. Then the deadline was moved.

In consulting it's happened more. Again, a lot of times a last minute request, overpromised timeline, someone was supposed to do something but didn't.

Before anyone goes on with "oh manage your time better" ... you can tell someone to do X at time Y. Doesn't mean it'll happen. *insert excuse here*
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DHAbH19E5Rs
Old 02-13-2018, 04:55 PM
SOA

Favorite beer: Corona :)

Quote:

The one thing that really annoys the shit out of me is overpromised timeline.

Regulator: can you get this to us Jan or Feb?
Higher up: Jan sounds good

Instead of asking the people that had to do the work this person agreed on a timescale with the regulator that was ostensibly to make himself look good.

And this person has been guilty of this multiple times but people enable him. I recently told him to cut it out, and it was like talking to a wall.
“Stupidity is a more dangerous enemy of the good than malice. Against stupidity we are defenseless. Neither protests nor the use of force accomplish anything here; reasons fall on deaf ears; facts that contradict one’s prejudgment simply need not be believed – in such moments the stupid person even becomes critical – and when facts are irrefutable they are just pushed aside as inconsequential, as incidental. For that reason, greater caution is called for when dealing with a stupid person than with a malicious one".
Old 02-13-2018, 05:08 PM
Official AO Grill Master
SOA

Studying for :lol:
Favorite beer: Yes

If you're a newbie lurking in this thread, some of this doesn't apply to you yet, and you'll sleep better at night not knowing this probably.
Quote:
I honestly haven't had to in a while because I work with people who actually respect the need for reasonable timelines, but I absolutely agree with this.
Quote:

I know exactly what you're talking about. Actually, the main office politics I play is making sure to communicate upwards when people pull this kind of crap on a consistent basis and doing whatever I can to not work on their team.
Old 02-13-2018, 05:14 PM
CAS SOA AAA

Quote:
Originally Posted by cincinnatikid View Post
Can you leverage the exit of the other person to negotiate for more staff and/or fewer projects?

If not, I'd start plotting an exit strategy...note that if you're in an area that is tremendously overworked, an internal transfer may not be as easy as you might hope (I've seen people trying to escape overworked areas that have their transfer get delayed, denied, or cause the person to work 2 jobs until backfilled).
Having been in this situation myself, this is solid advice.
Old 02-13-2018, 05:18 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Egghead View Post
Yeah, so far they've said they will backfill that guy, put his replacement under me, along with two guys who used to support him, plus get me one other totally new person at a high individual contributor level. My boss is trying to get an additional totally new person, but the response so far has been, "Let's try just one new position, and see how it goes." Part of their thinking is that it will just all work more efficiently when it's all reporting to me. And that may be true to a certain extent, because I like telling people "no" when what they're asking for is stupid.

And, yes, when I've moved from one overworked team internally in the past, it's really hard to disentangle. People keep coming to you with questions until a replacement gets up to speed.

Plus, I'm worried that my company may be getting worse. We had a change in leadership at a high level, and lots of people are getting clobbered. My last boss had to work 15 hours unexpectedly this past Sunday when something he submitted on Friday was deemed insufficient, even though he addressed every single thing he'd been asked to do.
Sounds like there is at least a path to better hours...my inclination would be to see if you can try to get a firmer commitment on a 2nd new person if things are not improving (maybe establish some metrics and a timeline); keep a eye on other internal opportunities if things do not seem to improve, external opportunities if they seem to be getting worse.
Old 02-13-2018, 05:26 PM
CAS SOA AAA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Egghead View Post
Yeah, so far they've said they will backfill that guy, put his replacement under me, along with two guys who used to support him, plus get me one other totally new person at a high individual contributor level. My boss is trying to get an additional totally new person, but the response so far has been, "Let's try just one new position, and see how it goes." Part of their thinking is that it will just all work more efficiently when it's all reporting to me. And that may be true to a certain extent, because I like telling people "no" when what they're asking for is stupid.

And, yes, when I've moved from one overworked team internally in the past, it's really hard to disentangle. People keep coming to you with questions until a replacement gets up to speed.

Plus, I'm worried that my company may be getting worse. We had a change in leadership at a high level, and lots of people are getting clobbered. My last boss had to work 15 hours unexpectedly this past Sunday when something he submitted on Friday was deemed insufficient, even though he addressed every single thing he'd been asked to do.
It sounds like there might be challenges with the leadership. I am noticing similar patterns as well and the lack of staffing support is making most folks miserable. It’s really hard to push the “do more with less” when the job market seems pretty tight.
Old 02-13-2018, 06:58 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by cincinnatikid View Post
Sounds like there is at least a path to better hours...my inclination would be to see if you can try to get a firmer commitment on a 2nd new person if things are not improving (maybe establish some metrics and a timeline);
I like this idea. A lot. Because I'm really worried they won't agree to the second person.

Then again, there is nothing keeping me from switching to another team within the company, except for the availability of positions at my level. If things don't get better, and they still don't agree to giving me the second person, my boss already knows I would likely start looking for other jobs. So then he may need to get more creative in how he finds relief for me.

I'll give my boss credit; he's trying. But I think he often gets in sticky situations with understaffing.