Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Careers - Employment
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Search Actuarial Jobs by State @ DWSimpson.com:
AL AK AR AZ CA CO CT DE FL GA HI ID IL IN IA KS KY LA
ME MD MA MI MN MS MO MT NE NH NJ NM NY NV NC ND
OH OK OR PA RI SC SD TN TX UT VT VA WA WV WI WY

Old 09-28-2006, 01:35 PM
CCA AAA COPA

Favorite beer: Mine
Default Golfing

Down here in Sunny Florida trying to grow my little business. A consultant from a large wealth management company suggested that I go golfing with him and some important executives.

I have no clue how to golf. And I declined. The question is, should I learn how to golf and start hitting the links to bring in more clients. Or is it just a waste of time?

All of them.
Old 09-28-2006, 01:46 PM

Studying for shts&ggles
Favorite beer: Ginger Beer

If you're fairly athletic, then yes learn to golf. If you're not athletic in the least bit, then forget it b/c it will take too long to get any good.
Old 09-28-2006, 01:47 PM
Site Sponsor
Site Sponsor

College: Yes

This was a good thread: http://www.actuarialoutpost.com/actu...highlight=golf

http://www.actuarialoutpost.com/actu...0&postcount=14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Syndicate
I think it is good to be able to make contact with the ball. More importantly, know the rules and etiquette. No client/important contact will care if you shoot a 110, but they will be annoyed with you if you take forever on shots, don't go to your ball, don't line up you put while waiting, step in someone's line, crash the cart, or most importantly, CHEAT.
http://www.actuarialoutpost.com/actu...3&postcount=15

Quote:
Originally Posted by WWSituation
I agree that you only really need to have the correct etiquette. 1 or 2 lessons and a few reps on the course should have you good to go.
Old 09-28-2006, 01:48 PM
SOA AAA

Favorite beer: Scotch

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNCORRELATED LAY View Post
Down here in Sunny Florida trying to grow my little business. A consultant from a large wealth management company suggested that I go golfing with him and some important executives.

I have no clue how to golf. And I declined. The question is, should I learn how to golf and start hitting the links to bring in more clients. Or is it just a waste of time?

It doesn't hurt to golf, but if you aren't going to play even semi-regularly and be embarrassingly bad, I can't see it being any advantage to you.

How often do these types of offers come up? I would respond that you don't golf, but if they are going out anyway you would galdly meet them at the 19th hole for lunch or drinks.
Old 09-28-2006, 02:29 PM
CCA AAA COPA

Favorite beer: Mine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patience View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNCORRELATED LAY View Post

It doesn't hurt to golf, but if you aren't going to play even semi-regularly and be embarrassingly bad, I can't see it being any advantage to you.

How often do these types of offers come up? I would respond that you don't golf, but if they are going out anyway you would galdly meet them at the 19th hole for lunch or drinks.
These offers have not come up often. But that could be because I don't golf. They will only come up if I am out there with others.

All of them.
Old 09-28-2006, 02:41 PM

I was going to ask something similar to this but I'm sure JMO would have called me a troll right away. In a couple of the sales position interviews I've had I was asked if I golfed. It didn't seem to be a requirement but probably something useful.
Old 09-28-2006, 02:48 PM
Carol Marler
Non-Actuary

Studying for Nothing actuarial.

I'm sure that golfing and drinking are both correlated with higher income. There was an article about the drinking. . .
Old 09-28-2006, 02:59 PM

Favorite beer: Root

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patience
Another suggestion might be to tag along, but I don't know how awkward that might be (as I'm also not a golfer). And to the OP, if I'm ever in need of your services, what say we go for a round of anything-not-even-remotely-sports-related?
Old 09-28-2006, 03:43 PM
Notes Contributor
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Ego View Post
In a couple of the sales position interviews I've had I was asked if I golfed. It didn't seem to be a requirement but probably something useful.
To me this would be an illegal interview question and shouldn't have any bearing on whether you get the job or not.
Old 09-28-2006, 03:45 PM
SOA AAA

Favorite beer: Scotch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harbinger View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Ego View Post
In a couple of the sales position interviews I've had I was asked if I golfed. It didn't seem to be a requirement but probably something useful.
To me this would be an illegal interview question and shouldn't have any bearing on whether you get the job or not.
sometimes interviewers just make small talk. we do have to realize that the question may not be received as innocently as it is asked