Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Cyberchat > Sports
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Upload your resume securely at https://www.dwsimpson.com
to be contacted when new jobs meet your skills and objectives.

Old Yesterday, 03:59 PM
SOA

I played 18 on Friday with some friends in a sweltering hot and humid, high 90s afternoon. Ended up with a "96", but everyone was a bit more lax on the scoring stringency near the end of the round as the sun and heat really took their toll on everyone. My body never does well in high heat, not to mention the fact I've been inside so much over these last few months, that it really did a number on me and I ended up with a headache all through the 4th of July the next day.

The course is pretty easy (67.9/124 par 70), but pretty narrow for a casual player and in such a way that you will lose your ball frequently if not keeping it together. My ball striking was supremely good for about 2/3 of the round before falling off the last 4 holes (and the first hole when I rushed out to the tee box since I was late). Mathed out that I hit a 260 yard drive on a flat and boring par 4 - tee box says 343 par 4 and I was 80-85 out. I mean... that is insane for someone like me. Was driving the ball very, very most of the day. Unfortunately my short game wasn't keeping up with my driver and irons and I lost a bunch of strokes chipping and putting. Guess that shouldn't be surprising since I haven't practiced them much at all, but still frustrating none the less. Still had a great round and had serious sub90 potential during the back 9 when I was tearing the course up, but couldn't finish out in that way. Had a stretch of 6 holes from holes 9 through 14 where I was 2 over with 4 pars and 2 bogeys.

1 birdie (110 yard par 3 that I put to within a couple feet)
5 pars (3 par 3s and 2 par 4s)
4 bogeys
3 double bogeys
3 triple bogeys
2 quad bogey (both double par on a par 4, hole 1 when rushing out after getting there late and hole 8 when I had a short game massacre after being behind and off the green in 3)

Using my high tech ranking system:
Driver/Woods:
Hybrid/Long Irons (4-6):
Mid irons (7-9):
Wedges:
Chipping:
Putting:

Last edited by dancran1220; Yesterday at 04:05 PM..
Old Yesterday, 04:48 PM

Solid. For me, I feel like short game is something that can be easily fixed with some practice, if you are naturally athletic and have good hand-eye coordination. Driver and irons is a much more challenging fix. Maybe that's all just me.