Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Actuarial Science Universities Forum > University of Florida
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

University of Florida http://grove.ufl.edu/~fass/

Old 05-23-2012, 07:06 PM
CAS SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by LargeNumbers View Post
Since the exams require a lot of self studying anyways there's not really much difference between UF over FSU in the long run. There's a lot of help offered for exams P and FM and Dr Randles has recently offered a course that covers MLC so the program is definitely growing.
Might be too late in posting but you should know that Dr. Randles is now retired. Which is a pretty big deal since he was the undergraduate adviser for statistics and actuarial science in addition to teaching a large number of courses (he was the only teacher for the classes covering FM and MLC and occasionally taught P as well). The class covering MLC was actually offered for the first time this spring, taught by Randles. With his retirement, there's no guarantee that the class will be offered in the future. Randles was a damn good teacher and a great adviser/mentor/resource for students so his absence will be missed. I still have one year to go and have no idea what the stats department will look like going forward without Randles.
Old 06-12-2012, 12:43 PM
= I Must Pass

Studying for drinking
Favorite beer: blue moon....cuz i'm a female

did anyone ever have professor emerson? he looks like the inconceivable guy in the princess bride:

and

Old 06-12-2012, 12:46 PM
= I Must Pass

Studying for drinking

Quote:
Originally Posted by UFActuary View Post
I miss Gainesville but would be bored living there. I would go back for a weekend and bikeride around those hills on Northwest 16th Ave, so water ski in Lake Walbert, chat up people on Plaza of the Americas, and go to some Gator Football Games. Yeah it would be fun.
i have friends that still live there...and i graduated almost 20 years ago.

one is a married to her hs and college bf. has 3 kids. he's an attorney there. and plays in a band with his kids. there really is a lot to do there. i don't know if i'd be bored.
Old 06-12-2012, 12:47 PM
= I Must Pass

Studying for drinking

Quote:
Originally Posted by phflorida View Post
OK UF grads. My son just got accepted to UF today! He always wanted to go to UF. He wants to be an actuary, and has also been accepted to FSU (invited to Honors Program there) and would major in Actuarial Science there. We need advice! I know if he goes to FSU that prepare the students for the first two exams and cover 12 semester hours on exams 3 & 4. He really wants to be a Gator, so I need to know if you feel UF students are at a disadvantage if they major in Stats and minor in AS. Is the recruitment process good for students wanting to be actuaries, or do you think FSU has the advantage in that since they have the major. Thank you for your honest advice, since he will have to make a decision within a few months (we are visiting UF this month).
congrats to your son!! unfortunately, i have no good information to provide. actuarial science wasn't even on the radar when i was there! also, i am sure by now, he's already picked, seeing as this post of yours is a few months old already.
Old 07-22-2013, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMP View Post
did anyone ever have professor emerson? he looks like the inconceivable guy in the princess bride:

and

I did indeed have professor Emerson for Business Law (BUL 4310). His class was the most entertaining of all business related courses I ever enrolled in at UF and I sincerely mean that. His class taught me more about life than my grade reflected in his class at the time. Ironically, I had difficulties with some of his "open book" exams because of seemingly ambiguous paraphrased answer choices with more than one choice appearing acceptable. Tests that appeared to be straight forward I'd find out I mysteriously got lots of wrong answers.

Also, Emerson on Day 1 said over the TV replay online stream "you should do some outside coursework but will not be required to do ALL of it." I found out later into the semester that this instruction was more literal than I assumed. Indeed "you NEEDED to do X% of the coursework to even be ELIGIBLE for an A grade, given you managed to also ace all of the tests and quizzes"!!! Also, it would be an understatement to state you could get "a little" extra credit if you did ALL the painful coursework.

Emerson was famous for the syllabus written somewhat like a legal document, though you had big written font stating "this is NOT a contract". This was big enough font to prevent any lawsuits on syllabus miscommunications on grounds of "promissory estoppel", the term of a legal course of action I learned in his class.