Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Cyberchat > Surveys
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

View Poll Results: Do you have a password on your phone?
Yes, duh 60 74.07%
No, nothing important on there 19 23.46%
42 password brah 2 2.47%
Voters: 81. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-23-2018, 04:59 PM
SOA

Studying for golf

I refuse to keep any financial information on my phone and I'm not important enough to have anything work related. Basically just personal email, fb, Uber, and AO, which while annoying if someone gained access, are not enough for me to warrant adding a pw.
Old 06-23-2018, 06:41 PM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoyo View Post
it's comforting to know that there are low hanging fruit targets out there. another layer of security to my overall security practices
Quote:
Originally Posted by Numerical Neuroticism View Post
I refuse to keep any financial information on my phone and I'm not important enough to have anything work related. Basically just personal email, fb, Uber, and AO, which while annoying if someone gained access, are not enough for me to warrant adding a pw.
thanks!

but seriously, i have to use my hand to pick up and use my phone, so fingerprint scanning is a simple security gimme

i'm no id thief, but i suspect personal email+fb+uber info might be enough

do you have a credit freeze in place?
Old 06-23-2018, 06:44 PM
SOA

This one time a group of us found some guys phone, no password, so we were able to call someone on his contacts to let him know we had his phone and get it back to him, so, I guess that could be useful if a good Samaritan finds your phone.

The fingerprint reader is just so simple, if your phone has one, I don't get why you wouldn't use it.

Things on my phone I wouldn't want random phone thief to have, my CC number (I tried to avoid it, but it became impossible), Starbucks app cash (with auto-reload, ain't nobody got time to not auto reload), uber (although, I could I guess use that to find the thief if they weren't careful), a picture of my passport, enough information in my emails to identity thief me (doesn't take much), access to google play store to spend money on things.

I don't have a banking app, so that would be somewhat safeish, but, still, why not use a password.....
Old 06-23-2018, 06:49 PM
SOA

Oh, also, just having my contacts someone could possibly scam them for money, I'd prefer to avoid that. I've had an email account hacked remotely, it was a nuisance.
Old 06-23-2018, 07:30 PM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcie View Post
Where's the option for "Yes, nothing important on there"?
this.

I resisted having a password for years, but eventually put an easy one on my phone because my last phone baked me to do so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westley View Post
Wow, frankly stunned at people that don't. I'm not a particularly tech-forward early adopter, and the amount of access that's available on my phone is mind-boggling. Bank, IRA, all kinds of financial stuff, as well as emails that have tons of confidential information that I could be liable for, both personal and professional. All kinds of social networks, internet history, and - holy crap, just realized this now - my AO ID and PW.
I don't have any financial information on my phone. You can't buy anything without entering my PayPal password, or my Google password. I don't get work emails here. My personal emails are not highly confidential. I trust my friends.

You could pretend to be me on the ao or Facebook with my phone, or send email "from me". That's about it.

But yeah, my last phone nagged me about security, and this one has a fingerprint reader, so i still have a password.
Old 06-23-2018, 08:28 PM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdsafdsa View Post
This one time a group of us found some guys phone, no password, so we were able to call someone on his contacts to let him know we had his phone and get it back to him, so, I guess that could be useful if a good Samaritan finds your phone.
there's an emergency phone call feature that allows anyone to call the emergency contact info you provide even if the phone is locked
Old 06-23-2018, 08:38 PM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeppermintPatty View Post
You could pretend to be me on the ao or Facebook with my phone, or send email "from me". That's about it.
people underestimate how much mischief hackers can get up to even with only a couple of entry points. those might be enough if you were being targeted specifically. you know, like by a vengeful permabaned ao id.

anyway, it's good you succumbed to the nagging
Old 06-23-2018, 11:39 PM
CAS

If someone is specifically targeting me, I'm screwed. I try to about random problems, but no one really had the resources to protect against active malice. Unless you are the president, or can get into a witness protection program or something.

Even without the password, I didn't count on a benevolent stranger to figure out who i was from my address book. And I don't now, either. My lock screen says "if found, please email ..."
Old 06-25-2018, 08:28 AM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeppermintPatty View Post
If someone is specifically targeting me, I'm screwed. I try to about random problems, but no one really had the resources to protect against active malice. Unless you are the president, or can get into a witness protection program or something.

Even without the password, I didn't count on a benevolent stranger to figure out who i was from my address book. And I don't now, either. My lock screen says "if found, please email ..."
right. you were nagged into not being a human (online security) shield for people like me who take at least modest precautions.
Old 06-25-2018, 09:26 AM
CAS

wow, so many swypos...

(in my post, not yours)