Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Actuarial Science Universities Forum > Truman State University
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Search Actuarial Jobs by State @ DWSimpson.com:
AL AK AR AZ CA CO CT DE FL GA HI ID IL IN IA KS KY LA
ME MD MA MI MN MS MO MT NE NH NJ NM NY NV NC ND
OH OK OR PA RI SC SD TN TX UT VT VA WA WV WI WY

Truman State University Truman State Actuarial Science Program

Old 09-16-2008, 03:25 AM
SOA CCA AAA

Favorite beer: beer is bad for you
Default SATSU!!

SATSU (The Society of Actuaries at Truman State University) is an actuarial organization whose main aim is to supplement Trumanís Academic Program by helping produce some of the finest Mathematical/Business Professionals. Members are primarily actuarial students (anyone else is welcome!) who are working towards the following objectives:
  • Passing professional exams and hence improving their problem solving ability in math/statistics and finance/economics. Members learn to developing disciplined study habits by participating in organized study sessions
  • Expanding professional network, finding (actuarial) internships and getting involved in actuarial recruitment activities such as giving presentations
  • Acquiring keen project-management and analytical/computer skills coupled with sharpened communication and better business sense

Anyone interested in joining can email actuary@truman.edu.Feel free to visit us at http://actuary.truman.edu (still under construction). We meet every Tuesday at 6:00pm in VH1208
Old 09-17-2008, 10:14 AM
SOA

Wow, good to see. Alumni here, I graduated in December 2002. At the time I remember wishing Truman would get an interest theory class, although I think there were just a couple from my class that went on to become actuaries.

I'd offer to come speak and tell you of the fabulous life of the FSA, but I'm a good thousand miles away now.
Old 09-20-2008, 02:01 PM
SOA CCA AAA

yeah. as it stands, I think we have about three classes missing to attain what SOA considers a full "undergraduate program in Actuarial Science".

Steve smith teaches theory of interest. and Andrew Mun teahes Risk management and derivatives, which are both directly useful for the financial-type exams. Plus, as you might already have seen, we now have a minor in ActSci, that covers all the VEE's and prepare you for exam FM and P
Old 09-20-2008, 02:07 PM
SOA CCA AAA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drzy View Post
I'd offer to come speak and tell you of the fabulous life of the FSA, but I'm a good thousand miles away now.
Lol!! thousand miles away from truman or from being an FSA
Old 05-19-2009, 09:16 AM
CAS AAA

Studying for Nothin!
Favorite beer: Root

Holy crap?! When did this start up? I graduated in 2000 and would have loved an Actuarial Science program at Truman. I ended up majoring in accounting and minoring in statistics. That's awesome that this is out there now. Good luck!

The great thing about Jesus is that He came for ALL of us... while we were yet sinners. It is through Him that we are saved.
Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as though working for the Lord, and not for men. Colossians 3:23

Where's Perry?
Old 06-08-2009, 12:57 PM
Lead Guitarist
Non-Actuary

Favorite beer: Avery Mephistopheles

I graduated last summer and was among the first group of people who graduated with the Actuary Science minor. Looked really good on my resume and probably helped a bit to get the job I have now. Mun's Derivative class started the semester after I left - that's awesome that you guys are working towards getting the major. I think there were 3 or 4 of us from my class that went on to become actuarials, and there was a LOT of interest in the younger classes. Keep us updated on the progress.