Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Software & Technology
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Upload your resume securely at https://www.dwsimpson.com
to be contacted when our jobs meet your skills and objectives.

Old 05-25-2018, 11:53 PM
CAS

you know what? screw it. i'm going to keep what i have and not mess with it other than tinkering with speaker placement. keep the amp set on tone bypass and enjoy it
Old 05-26-2018, 02:21 AM
SOA AAA

Favorite beer: Sam Smith Oatmeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoyo View Post
looking at the denon site, non of the amps have XT32, only AVRs. is built in room correction only an AVR thing?
Yes. Well, you can also get a surround sound processor with XT32, but at that point youíre talking thousands of dollars.
Old 05-26-2018, 02:26 AM
SOA AAA

Quote:
you know what? screw it. i'm going to keep what i have and not mess with it other than tinkering with speaker placement. keep the amp set on tone bypass and enjoy it
If it ainít broke. Seriously, you have a great setup, if it makes you happy then leave well enough alone.
Old 05-26-2018, 06:10 AM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Incredible Hulctuary View Post
It includes Audyssey XT32, which I haven't tried yet, having been disappointed with other versions of Audyssey in the past ... but seeing that you're so impressed by it I should try to test it out soon.
I've been quite disappointed by previous versions of Audyssey.

Turns out, XT32 isn't just an improved version of XT. It's apparently a very different approach altogether. Here's a really long, technical explanation of the differences:

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-rec...html#addendum1

I'll be honest, there's a decent amount of the science I don't understand. But the impacts to psychoacoustics they say to expect are very much in line with what I've experienced.
Old 05-26-2018, 11:58 AM
SOA AAA

I was wondering late last night, while driving, what the technical aspects were to all of this. I will have to read Eggheadís latest link.
Old 05-26-2018, 07:13 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Frankly View Post
Nice! Yeah, the progressive EQ sounds pretty cool, I donít think my Yamaha is that fancy. My guess is the difference in EQ from left to right is more the room than the speakers. Most drivers are reasonably close to spec these days, there are certainly tolerances, and also tolerances for crossover components. But if itís more than 1-2dB, itís probably not the speakers.
I reviewed the EQ settings again. Yeah, there are spots along the frequency response spectrum where the differences in EQ between the front left and right speaker can be an easy 5 dB. Usually, they're not that different, but there are a number of spots where they are. Very interesting!
Old 05-26-2018, 09:44 PM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Frankly View Post
If it ainít broke. Seriously, you have a great setup, if it makes you happy then leave well enough alone.
plus, i don't need to get sucked into the never ending spiral world of audio gearheads!
Old 05-27-2018, 08:23 AM
SOA

Quote:
plus, i don't need to get sucked into the never ending spiral world of audio gearheads!
Yeah, some of these guys in the audiophile forums get pretty ridiculous, talking about the difference in sound from one set of cables to another.

The most extreme thing I did was buying those bass traps. Those really do produce a scientifically measurable difference (I've got the graphs to prove it ) so I know it's not just a placebo effect. But it's a much less noticeable difference than what Audyssey XT32 is producing.

Not trying to talk you into buying anything. Just saying that, for those who already have some good gear and are looking for something that could legitimately take it to the next level, this is pretty high on the list.
Old 05-27-2018, 08:28 AM
SOA

Oh, the other thing I've learned is how to experiment without the cost spiraling out of control. Some of these online speaker manufacturers, for instance, offer 30 day return policies. They know you can't check out their stuff at your local Best Buy. So they say, "Give us a shot. If you don't like it, we will even pay for the return shipping." My JBL speakers were like that. SVS does the same.

That will probably be my next purchase: SVS Prime Elevation speakers to enable Dolby Atmos and DTS:X. You hang them up on the wall near the corner with the ceiling, and they point down toward your listening position. Sound from above will be more immersive than my current 5.1 surround. I've asked my wife to give me one speaker for my birthday, and the other for Christmas.
Old 05-27-2018, 05:49 PM
SOA

I went to Best Buy today and listened to a bunch of expensive center speakers, including a $1,000 model. Still sounded boxy to me.

So here's what I think I'll do: When my JBL 590 tower speakers go on sale for half off again ($500 vs $1000), I will buy a single speaker. I will put it in the rear position of my 6.1 arrangement (which I occasionally use today for tracks recorded in 6.1 or 7.1). That way, when I one day move to a place where I can have a theater room, I can switch that speaker to be my center. Either I'll stand it behind an acoustically transparent screen and use a projector, or I'll find a way to mount it sideways like some folks I've seen online. I think that's the only way I'll ever get the quality and timber match I'm after.

In the meantime, I'll be content with the sale price I got on my JBL center that's actually designed to work with these towers. It's pretty darn good, but just annoys me on occasion.