Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Exams - Please Limit Discussion to Exam-Related Topics > SoA > Modules 6-8
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

ACTUARIAL SALARY SURVEYS
Contact DW Simpson for a Personalized Salary Survey

Old 02-24-2018, 09:43 PM
SOA

Default Fail FA twice

I got my fail grade last night, totally have no idea what I can improved for the 3rd try. Last time the comments on the task I need to improve are task 4 and 5, and this time they are 1 and 4. I think 1 and 4 are really straightforward, totally have no idea what I could improve further.

I want to request detailed feedback from them, but unfortunately, I need to wait until July. FA is the last requirement to get my ASA, continuously failing on it make me to rethink my exam plan. Does anyone have suggestion on FA 3rd try or exam plan?

Btw, I suspect if they really look over my report. Mad at it!
Old 02-25-2018, 10:33 PM
SOA

For Task 1, I followed the format of EOM 4 (with more specifics).

For Task 4, make sure you are performing a sensitivity test using reasonable impacts for each pricing assumption and more importantly, make sure you are providing the correct critical/least critical assumptions.

For Task 5, do not be too quantitative. When you receive a professional memo (for example Medicare Advantage memos), they are straight to the point and are not technical with their answers. They may explain in a few sentences the cause/drivers, but not show the derivation. Make sure you organize your paragraphs and structure them in a way that is easy to read. You want to be as clear as you can with few sentence backups.

Hope this helps.
Old 02-25-2018, 11:27 PM
SOA AAA

College: Texas A&M University Alumi

I would also say for Task 1 be specific to CDEF and chose key risks that are more easily mitigated and stuff you can tak about. Be careful about multiple risks that deal with the same thing.
Old 02-25-2018, 11:28 PM
SOA AAA

College: Texas A&M University Alumi

Also, you could just ask for feedback just in case.
Old 02-26-2018, 12:19 AM
SOA

College: Brooklyn College Alum

Quote:
Originally Posted by cubanaggie12 View Post
Also, you could just ask for feedback just in case.
Not till July!

Chuck Norris...
...is allowed to talk about Fight Club.
...lost both his legs in a car accident....and still managed to walk it off.
...understands the ending of 2001: A Space Odyssey.
...really DOES find gold when he picks his nose.
...is a stunt double for Optimus Prime.
...can dribble a football.
...can sneeze with his eyes open.
...CAN lick his elbow.
...can judge a book by its cover.
Old 02-28-2018, 06:32 PM
SOA

College: Eastern Kentucky University Alumni

Quote:
Originally Posted by wonkalu View Post
I got my fail grade last night, totally have no idea what I can improved for the 3rd try. Last time the comments on the task I need to improve are task 4 and 5, and this time they are 1 and 4. I think 1 and 4 are really straightforward, totally have no idea what I could improve further.

I want to request detailed feedback from them, but unfortunately, I need to wait until July. FA is the last requirement to get my ASA, continuously failing on it make me to rethink my exam plan. Does anyone have suggestion on FA 3rd try or exam plan?

Btw, I suspect if they really look over my report. Mad at it!
I'm in the same boat. Just found out I failed FA for the second time. My tasks needing the most improvement this time are 1 and 4. Last time they were 1 and 5.

I'm really struggling with how to improve task 1. I have 3-4 risks for each of the risk categories in my RCD tool, and they are all relevant to the fund and properly categorized according to Segal. Also, I feel like I've justified my key risks well. I included a second table with a qualitative analysis on the frequency and severity for each risk which helped me justify the key risks, and I also wrote a paragraph for each one further justifying why the risks I chose were "key".

The only thing I can think of that the graders must have had an issue with are my mitigation strategies. Here are a couple of examples (I had 3 total key risks):

Employed population risk (risk that employed population declines and does not remain stable): I gave mitigation strategies for this risk such as implementing tax breaks in other areas or federally reimbursed daycare expenses for members of the employed population to encourage people to remain in the workforce despite the new CDEF tax.

Fertility rates risk (risk that couples start having more children since the overall cost is lower due to the new CDEF fund covering college expenses):
I described a mitigation strategy for this risk involving modifying the CDEF parameters slightly so that a couple's first child who is eligible for the fund will get 100% of the benefit, however the couples second child will only get 50% of the benefit if eligible.

Does anyone agree that the risk mitigation approaches I provided are off base since they don't really have to do with the how the fund is managed? If so, does anyone have ideas for other mitigation approaches for these risks? I'm drawing a blank. Maybe I should change my key risks to be ones that I can think of solid mitigation techniques for? Although I kind of hate to do that since I feel like I've done a good job justifying these risks to be "key" out of all the ones listed in my RCD tool.
Old 02-28-2018, 06:42 PM
Non-Actuary

edit - I think fertility risk is a bad choice.

Last edited by LunchBox; 02-28-2018 at 06:45 PM..
Old 02-28-2018, 06:42 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arms91 View Post
I'm in the same boat. Just found out I failed FA for the second time. My tasks needing the most improvement this time are 1 and 4. Last time they were 1 and 5.

I'm really struggling with how to improve task 1. I have 3-4 risks for each of the risk categories in my RCD tool, and they are all relevant to the fund and properly categorized according to Segal. Also, I feel like I've justified my key risks well. I included a second table with a qualitative analysis on the frequency and severity for each risk which helped me justify the key risks, and I also wrote a paragraph for each one further justifying why the risks I chose were "key".

The only thing I can think of that the graders must have had an issue with are my mitigation strategies. Here are a couple of examples (I had 3 total key risks):

Employed population risk (risk that employed population declines and does not remain stable): I gave mitigation strategies for this risk such as implementing tax breaks in other areas or federally reimbursed daycare expenses for members of the employed population to encourage people to remain in the workforce despite the new CDEF tax.

Fertility rates risk (risk that couples start having more children since the overall cost is lower due to the new CDEF fund covering college expenses):
I described a mitigation strategy for this risk involving modifying the CDEF parameters slightly so that a couple's first child who is eligible for the fund will get 100% of the benefit, however the couples second child will only get 50% of the benefit if eligible.

Does anyone agree that the risk mitigation approaches I provided are off base since they don't really have to do with the how the fund is managed? If so, does anyone have ideas for other mitigation approaches for these risks? I'm drawing a blank. Maybe I should change my key risks to be ones that I can think of solid mitigation techniques for? Although I kind of hate to do that since I feel like I've done a good job justifying these risks to be "key" out of all the ones listed in my RCD tool.
Your fertility risk mitigation technique does not align with the CDEF objective. They want to pay 100 percent of eligible students tuition not 50 percent.

Also fertility risk is part of student growth rate assumption. You can just use student growth rate as a risk, where the risk is that the growth rate is higher than expected. This can be catoegeized as insurance risk
Old 02-28-2018, 06:43 PM

Studying for EA-2L

I could be wrong, but I'm not sure "fertility rate risk" counts as a risk. It seems like the actual risk is that the student growth rate assumption is inadequate and the reason being that fertility rates increased.
Spoiler:
Old 02-28-2018, 06:43 PM

Studying for EA-2L

ninja'd
Spoiler: