Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Careers - Employment
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Upload your resume securely at https://www.dwsimpson.com
to be contacted when our jobs meet your skills and objectives.

Old 11-21-2017, 09:40 PM
SOA AAA

Studying for beer
Favorite beer: Fresh Squeezed IPA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Life View Post
Have you researched the age of past FSA recipients? Assuming you're 45, no company is going to invest in minting a 50-year-old FSA as a best case scenario.
1) At a FAC I recently attended, the oldest FSA recipient was 60+.
B) Companies will only invest in employees that they can get at least 20-30 years out of? Longevity is not the only variable.

AO Golfers Unite! Here and here.
Chase Sapphire Reserve Referral? clicky
Old 11-21-2017, 11:17 PM
Non-Actuary

Quote:
Originally Posted by wat? View Post
1) At a FAC I recently attended, the oldest FSA recipient was 60+.
B) Companies will only invest in employees that they can get at least 20-30 years out of? Longevity is not the only variable.
You're pathetic.
Old 11-21-2017, 11:27 PM
Non-Actuary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colonel Smoothie View Post
You can blame the societies for not expanding into areas that are in demand. I mean a fresh CS graduate can get $120k as a software engineer and a newly minted data scientist might get something like $90k. Yeah, I do fault the societies for not pushing actuaries into these areas.
I also blame them for not doing enough to elucidate the EL job market for newcomers.
Old 11-21-2017, 11:48 PM
Non-Actuary

Quote:
Originally Posted by NattyMo View Post
I am
... working the network.
... sending out resumes (approaching 150 in total).
... contacting total strangers who might be within sniffing distance of someone who knows someone who knows one of these mythical actuaries. I have yet to meet one, personally.
... passing exams (without support).
... researching age discrimination statistics and articles.
... attending career fairs.
... doing mock interviews.
... updating my profiles on corporate sites when new info emerges (e.g. "look, I passed another exam", etc.).
... coming to this forum.

Looks like a laundry list.
Here're some more:
- spam the directory
- apply to other non-actuarial data roles
- attend SOA conferences to network in person
- network with local actuaries using the SOA Explorer tool
- get some official programming certifications
- make an online portfolio to refer to for more work samples and personal stories
- network with other older career changers who've made it

No need to counter my suggestions. I expect you to be too stubborn to think through or try most of them. I'm writing these for future viewers who may be looking for ideas.
Old 11-21-2017, 11:55 PM
Non-Actuary

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnLevel View Post
Believe it or not, 3.7 gpa and 2 exams makes you a run off the mill candidate these days.
Thread should’ve ended here, but this is Careers.
Old 11-22-2017, 04:38 AM
SOA AAA

Studying for beer
Favorite beer: Fresh Squeezed IPA

Quote:
Here're some more:
- spam the directory

- make an online portfolio to refer to for more work samples and personal stories
I absolutely agree with the bolded above. In-person connections are extremely valuable, and I don't think you specified what your current network consists of and how many of them are people you've met face-to-face.

AO Golfers Unite! Here and here.
Chase Sapphire Reserve Referral? clicky
Old 11-22-2017, 04:42 AM
SOA

Favorite beer: Corona :)

Quote:
Thread should’ve ended here, but this is Careers.
True. People tend to get too PC in here in order to adopt the "everybody can do it shtick", which leads to ridiculous sugarcoating.

Objective advice is what people need here, with no sugarcoating. Otherwise, you are not helping them.
“Stupidity is a more dangerous enemy of the good than malice. Against stupidity we are defenseless. Neither protests nor the use of force accomplish anything here; reasons fall on deaf ears; facts that contradict one’s prejudgment simply need not be believed – in such moments the stupid person even becomes critical – and when facts are irrefutable they are just pushed aside as inconsequential, as incidental. For that reason, greater caution is called for when dealing with a stupid person than with a malicious one".
Old 11-22-2017, 07:32 AM
Non-Actuary

Quote:
Wow you’re stubborn.
To what are you referring? I just re-read this entire thread and have no idea why you say this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idiot View Post
i think it would help if you weren't so confrontational, just based on your posts i have seen on this board. idk if you write like this to others in a business setting or on social media or only on this board but my impression is you are not someone i'd like to work with
He says I'm stubborn, you say I'm confrontational. Why? Serious question, to both of you.

I mean, technically I'm confronting you right now, but only because I have no idea WTH you're talking about.

BTW, you can't take anything said in Political or NAT as my M.O. because they're basically a rated R and PG-17 free-for-all, respectively.

Just to highlight what I mean in the previous sentence, notice that I only become abrasive in those forums as a reaction to someone else's shenanigans and/or baiting. Also notice that I don't post there very much anymore... because of said shenanigans. I can't beat 'em and I don't want to join 'em, so I mostly ignore 'em.

So, if you're talking about those two forums, guilty as charged but don't hold it against me (or do... not like I can stop you). If you're talking about something else, then what is it?

Quote:
Here're some more:
- spam the directory

No need to counter my suggestions. I expect you to be too stubborn to think through or try most of them. I'm writing these for future viewers who may be looking for ideas.
That's twice now. I still don't understand your assertion. I've listed my situation, what I've already done, what I plan to do, asked for suggestions, and back-filled on any oversights I made as they arose via suggestions.

I'm getting great ideas here because some of this stuff I had not thought of, or even heard of, before this thread. I'm including some of yours in that last statement. Sounds like the exact opposite of stubborn. So what gives?

Spoiler:

“Progress isn't made by early risers. It's made by lazy men trying to find easier ways to do something.”

“Don't handicap your children by making their lives easy.”

“There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.”

“A desire not to butt into other people's business is at least eighty percent of all human 'wisdom'...and the other twenty percent isn't very important.”

“Belief gets in the way of learning.”

“The first principle of freedom is the right to go to hell in your own handbasket.”

“Does history record any case in which the majority was right?”

Last edited by NattyMo; 11-23-2017 at 06:00 PM..
Old 11-22-2017, 09:23 AM
SOA

Favorite beer: Corona :)

The real problem is this:

You keep measuring yourself against your current peers, whom you have stated are less educated and have much less skills than you do. So, when you apply to the Actuarial jobs you do so with the current mindset that you're "ahead of the pack".

So naturally, you get annoyed and discouraged when you get very little in the way of attention as it pertains to your job hunt. You are entering a much higher level of education and skills when you go from blue collar to white collar, and you have to learn to adjust your expectations (which imho is the main problem).

You are essentially going from "ahead of the pack" in one employment cohort, to "behind the pack" in another employment cohort, so you need to up your game considerably to become competitive now with the white collar folks applying for the actuarial jobs.

Being as old as you are will also most likely cause issues as you seem to think that your blue collar experience should trump the education and skills of young graduates who lack work experience. Given that these graduates are your main source of competition for EL jobs, you need to drop the sense of entitlement due to your age and work experience, and start gaining the skills that most graduates have.

So swallow your pride, and make the necessary improvements in exams and skills in order to catch the pack and become competitive.
“Stupidity is a more dangerous enemy of the good than malice. Against stupidity we are defenseless. Neither protests nor the use of force accomplish anything here; reasons fall on deaf ears; facts that contradict one’s prejudgment simply need not be believed – in such moments the stupid person even becomes critical – and when facts are irrefutable they are just pushed aside as inconsequential, as incidental. For that reason, greater caution is called for when dealing with a stupid person than with a malicious one".
Old 11-22-2017, 10:10 AM
CAS AAA

Favorite beer: Alpha King

Move to Bloomington, IL.