Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Cyberchat > Non-Actuarial Topics
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Salary Surveys
Property & Casualty, Life, Health & Pension

Health Actuary Jobs
Insurance & Consulting jobs for Students, Associates & Fellows

Actuarial Recruitment
Visit DW Simpson's website for more info.
www.dwsimpson.com/about

Casualty Jobs
Property & Casualty jobs for Students, Associates & Fellows

Old 10-14-2011, 12:32 AM
SOA AAA

Studying for GED
Favorite beer: Root

I think I scared him away with that last one. I haven't heard back. Here are my other attempts to get him to respond, though.
Spoiler:

Are you still there, Smitty? I haven't heard back from you.

Bobbi

Spoiler:

Would you be able to help me contact Mr. ken Wright so that I might be able to get the money I need in order to reopen the lock box?

Bah

Spoiler:

I don't have British Pounds. Would you accept American Dollars?

B
Like I said, I think he's on to me, so that'll probably be the end of that. Although, I'm contemplating sending him my ssn, 042-68-4425.
Old 11-02-2011, 01:12 AM
SOA AAA

Studying for GED

okay. forget mr smith.
I've been contacted by "Sharon Lee".
Spoiler:

To:
Sent: Sunday, October 30, 2011 5:22 AM
Subject: Will you be of help?

Dear Friend,

I am alady, born in Reisterstown Rd, Reisterstown Maryland USA. Am mixed race, my dad a British while my mom an Asian and am the only kid of my folks. My parents died 3years ago in a fire outbreak in my dad's factory in Enfield road in London. Have not been married but I’ve been into so many relationships, which has failed and in which I was cheated. The problem I am into now was caused by my last EX-date.

I am out of the States now and I will like to discuss what brought me here from the United States. Before coming here, I registered to search a date on a dating site www.match.com where I met an African guy who proved that he loves and wants me. We talked for 1 month and some weeks. The African guy convinced me to come down and live with him pretending to Love me,I travelled down to Africa and while I was coming, the African guy told me to come with enough money for investment and I even went to the extent of selling my inherited house because I wanted to leave the States.

I came in here with a total sum of four million, five hundred dollars with all the money I've gotten from my Dad's business and sales of some properties, because the African guy told me of an idea to invest in oil firms here. When I got here, he made all possible means to get the money from me and get away with it. Then when I noticed this, I took the money and my travelling boxes and deposited it with a Asia Security/Insurance Company here in Africa in order to safe myself and my assets. I told them that the two boxes are my travelling luggage, which I want to send forth to your country because I’m returning home, then I paid them up their custody and security fee, but I did not tell them that the boxes contain money in order to make everything secure and safe.

Thereafter I left the guy's apartment to a hotel where I am in right now and which I am communicating with you now.Now, I'm in need of your help, have gotten enough money to run myself when I get to your country, I want to come over to your end and we can start a new life together with all the money, I don't want to live here anymore, you know I'm a foreigner here and it is dangerous for me here, so that is why I need your gesture assistance.

How I want you to help me? I want the boxes sent to you while I catch up with you as soon as it is been delivered to you and we can start a business with the money or if you need me to offer you percentage, then tell me. Every arrangement for the delivery is perfect, I have obtained customs papers for private freight and there are seals on the boxes showing that it is a private delivery and check performed, it is free from customs checks, it will be delivered at your door step by the diplomats of the security company, you do not need to burn out to receive it. And the boxes have security codes lock known to me only,so it is secured, except if I tell anyone the Code, so the Boxes cannot be opened on its delivery.

I am counting on your trust and hoping to hear and meet you in person. Let me hear you as soon as possible, so that I can give you the deposit details and the contact of the security company to arrange the shipment ASAP. And when the boxes get to you, kindly send me some money for my flight bill and hotel bills so that I can meet you over there for sharing or to start a business with the money. I will wait for your response if you would be of help. Will you be of help?

Sincerely yours,
Sharon Lee.

I don't think they really read the responses
Spoiler:

Oh, Sharon,

My heart aches upon hearing of your story. I have prayed to the Lord and he has revealed to me that it is my duty to help you as much as I can. I do not want to start a life with you, however, as that would really piss off my wife.

Did you have good success with match.com? I am thinking of using it.

Sincerely,
Bob Ama
and she responds...with pictures even...
Spoiler:
To:
Sent: Monday, October 31, 2011 8:10 AM
Subject: Call the company for shipment

My Dear,

How are you doing today? I just got your email. I will really appreciate your help and rely on you to help me. All you have to do, you will write to the security company as my fiancee/husband to be,you will inform them to have my travelling boxes sent to you.Find attachment is my photograph. While contacting them, you do not need to tell them that the boxes contain money, because I told them the boxes are my traveling luggages, which contain my clothes, jewelries and personal apparels which am sending to my Husband and the boxes are locked with key, so, only me have access to the boxes. Only you and I knew about the money in the boxes. So, it would be delivered safely to you.

When you are contacting them by email or telephone, give them the deposit details below and let them know the delivery address as well. Dear, ask them how much it will cost for the clearance and shipment charge, and when the boxes get to you, i will let you know the instruction to open the boxes, and you can send me some money for my flight and hotel bills here so that I can leave here to meet you overthere and we could arrange everything together.

Dear, please, you shall help me pay for the Clearance and Shipment of the boxes, and when the boxes get to you, I will let you know how to open the boxes, and send me money from the boxes for my flight and hotel bills here, so that i can leave here to meet you and we can setup things together.

Below are the deposit details:

Deposit Number: FAC-O576-PLG45

Sort/Clearance Code: FAC/576-45/MP56 33

Deposit Certificate #: MPL-FAC-405576

Consignment Description: 2 Travelling Boxes

Depositor: Sharon Lee

Contact of Security Company

Company: Royal Express Logistics

Contact of Security Firm:
Contact Person: Gred Johnson (Custodian Manager)
Contact Email: gredjohnsonexpress@skymail.mn
Contact Cell phone: +60169553849

Let me know when you write to the security company. I hope all is well with you, I can't wait to meet you. Waiting for your response.

Sincerely yours,
Sharon Lee.
The pics are nothing really...just some 40-50 y.o. blond who isn't bad looking but nothing worth reposting. (I wonder who the unlucky soul is who's having their pictures sent in conjunction with this spam.)

I'm not sure how I'll respond. Your ideas, as always, are welcome.

I might call her out on the half-british-half-asian claim 'cuz she doesn't look at all like she's asian...maybe I should post them here...hmmmmm...hang on.

Last edited by 1695814; 11-02-2011 at 01:21 AM..
Old 11-02-2011, 01:21 AM
SOA AAA

Studying for GED

ok, here are the four pictures "she" sent.
Attached Images

Old 11-02-2011, 10:20 AM
CAS AAA

Favorite beer: Homebrew

Her writing is horrible. Doesn't she realize she can't pass as anyone who uses English as a 1st language with that bad of writing skills? I understand a few things here and there, but that is bad. It's one thing when they write, claiming to be African or whatever, so the bad English writing is understandable, but this "lady" has no excuse.

Anyway, as far as a response. I'd send back a "sexy" email about all the naughty things you want to do to her and then attach a photo of some fat hillbilly type dude.

I might start the email with you being unable to get in contact with Gred Johnson and asking for more information on his contact info. Such as the Name of the company, address, etc.
Old 11-10-2011, 12:11 AM
SOA AAA

Studying for GED

all right, here's my reply
Spoiler:

Do you have any more pictures of yourself? If I'm going to be your fiancee/husband I better have a better idea of what you look like. There could be some trick questions, you know. I don't want our deal to get held up because I told them you had blonde hair when you really had...wait, what color is your hair again? See? That's why I need more pictures. Do you have any of you with a pet (like a dog or a cat)?

I'm eager to hear from you.

In the meantime I'll contact the comapny for shipmaent.

Bobby.
She tries to brush off my concerns:
Spoiler:

My Dear,

I want you to know that I need you to assist me so that I will leave here and come over and if you don't like me than you let me know and I will give you money for assisting me. You don't need to worry just go ahead and contact the shipping company and conclude with them so that they will ship the boxes to you and I will let you know the code number which you will use to open the box and withdraw all you spent and also send me money to join you. I want you to know that the boxes contain the sum of $4.5million and all will be in your care. I am waiting to hear from you.

Thanks,
Sharon.
so I question her
Spoiler:

Wait a second...in your first email you said you were British-Asian. You don't look anything like someone who is half-asian. I think you're lying to me. I need more pictures.
So, you're in Africa now?

Toby
she actually responds to my inquiry
Spoiler:
My Dear,

Yes but I did not look like an Asian. I am in south Africa now and I need you to assist me so that they will ship the boxes to you. I want to know if you have contacted the shipping company? I am waiting to hear from you.

Thanks,
Sharon.

but I'm not about to let it go...and to give her a little bit of hope...
Spoiler:

WHy do you not look asian? Did your dad sleep around? Were you adopted? I need to know the truth if I am ever going to trust you again. I've been hurt too many times by slick talking blondes. They just want me for my gorgeous body, strong muscles, and thick hair. they never seem to care for my brilliant mind.

I tried contacting the shipping company below but they said that a Gred Johnson didn't work there. As a matter of fact, they said that they weren't even a shipping compnay. They also didn't know of a Sharon Lee -- if that's your *real* name. It was really weird. I think you gave me a wrong number.

Keith

Last edited by 1695814; 11-10-2011 at 12:25 AM..
Old 11-10-2011, 12:26 AM

Read this for the first time. Classic!
Old 11-10-2011, 12:34 AM
SOA AAA

Studying for GED

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Shining View Post
Read this for the first time. Classic!
Old 11-10-2011, 07:11 AM
CAS AAA

This is known as "Nigerian Fraud" -- "she" likely is an African male villager in an internet cafe scamming thousands.

The photos are likely stolen somewhere from the internet. There is a website that detects how many times the same photo has been linked in multiple places:Tineye.com.
Old 11-10-2011, 08:40 AM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck View Post
This is known as "Nigerian Fraud" -- "she" likely is an African male villager in an internet cafe scamming thousands.

The photos are likely stolen somewhere from the internet. There is a website that detects how many times the same photo has been linked in multiple places:Tineye.com.
I'm sure this will come as quite the surprise to the OP. I can't immagine how hurt he will be that it's not real. Good thing you came along to point it out. I feel like you're an underappreciated poster.
Old 11-10-2011, 09:19 AM

Studying for nication

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck View Post

Oh shit really !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

CUz I was so convinced that it was legitimate !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks for wising us up o glorious Buck, teller of truths !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ETA, ok, ninja'd, but, I think this deserved two mentions.