Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Cyberchat > Sports
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Actuarial Jobs by State

New York  New Jersey  Connecticut  Massachusetts 
California  Florida  Texas  Illinois  Colorado

Old 01-08-2017, 10:03 PM
CAS AAA

College: The University of Alabama
Favorite beer: Chimay Grande Réserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strider View Post
It's about money too. In neutral games, both teams can walk away with at least 3-5 million. In a home and home, you make money one year but get nothing the other year.

Considering your example of Alabama...

Alabama will have made 15.5 million off of playing Wisconsin, USC, and FSU. If they played home and home with each of those teams, Alabama would make 4 million on the home game and nothing on the next game. So, they only get 12 million in 6 years, instead of 15.5 million in 3 years.
Yeah... perhaps that's true.

That's what Alabama likes to say publicly nowadays; however, their position on that in 2017 has evolved quite a bit from what they used to say back in 2009!

I just don't buy their assertion that they're playing these games for any reason other than because the dirty business of recruiting high school talent never stops. When they first started playing in these games, they liked to highlight the advantages it brought them in recruiting. Now that they've been so successful in recruiting (#1 class 6 years consecutively going for 7 next month!), I guess they will say anything to obfuscate their recruiting advantages, but maybe those increased revenue numbers are right too..

To me, though, those revenue estimates for home games seem overly reliant on gate receipts; $4 million also seems really low for a game in Tuscaloosa. Hide-the-profits accounting is inherent in on-campus games at every school, and the sports journalists who report revenue numbers are not accountants (you can't just be an English/journalism/communications major and read a line-item on a financial statement and think you understand net profits, but many of them do exactly that).. Also, the TV rights owned by the conferences for home games don't get distributed until the end of the year, but get negotiated differently for neutral site games. It's just not easy for a layperson to say with any certainty that the neutral site games make a material difference financially, but they definitely make a difference in recruiting. There is zero doubt about that.
Old 01-08-2017, 10:05 PM
CAS AAA

Quote:
Originally Posted by donny5k View Post
There's something about OSU playing Clemson in bowl games. First, Woody punches a guy and he is fired (head coach). Then, in 2013, Sammy Watkins catches a dozen screen passes for 10 yards a pop against soft zone coverage and the co-DC resigns. And then this year the offensive staff gets overhauled after putting up a goose egg.

The next time they play there will probably be a special teams disaster.
That clip of Woody Hayes punching Charlie Bauman is hilarious. I wish I could have seen that live!

I don't think he would ever hit a player, but I could definitely see Harbaugh slugging a game official. Or, Bo Pelini.. he too could hit somebody in rage. (I don't even think I'm going out on a limb to say either of those two could go Woody Hayes on someone if they were ticked off..)

Re: Co-DC resigning
Are you talking about Everett Withers?
I thought he had taken the James Madison job well before the 2014 Orange Bowl. (He didn't leave because of the Orange Bowl performance.) I also think Withers was the lead recruiter for a number of Ohio State defensive stars, including Vonn Bell, Raekwan McMillan, Malik Hooker, Damon Webb...

Re: offensive staff overhauled
Good moves! Ryan Day and Kevin Wilson to replace Tim Beck. The rich get richer in this game of college football.

Kevin Wilson is absurdly overqualified to be back at the OC level.

Tim Beck landed on his feet too. Good for him. He couldn't possibly have been Herman's first choice for OC, though.
Old 01-08-2017, 10:21 PM
SOA

Favorite beer: lol beer ... ketel1 please....k thks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Actuary321 View Post
This is a real head scratcher. How did they get Oregon to agree to go to Laramie? Going from 420' to 7,215'. That has to have some effect on you. And only about 30K vs up to 60K at the stadium?
There are hot chicks in Wyoming
Old 01-10-2017, 01:49 AM
CAS AAA

Default Futures for 2017 NCAA Football Champion

• Bama 3-1
  • Florida State 7-1
  • Ohio State/Oklahoma/USC 8-1
  • Louisville/LSU/Michigan 12-1
  • Clemson 18-1
  • Texas 25-1
  • Auburn/OK State/Penn State 30-1
  • Georgia/VA Tech/UDub 40-1
  • Florida/Tennessee/UCLA 50-1
  • Miami/ND/WVU/Wisconsin 60-1
  • Oregon/Stanford/TCU/Wazzu 80-1

Notable as Bama plays FSU and Ohio State plays Oklahoma.. 4 of the top 5 teams favored by Vegas face-off in weeks 1 and 2, respectively.
Old 01-10-2017, 08:53 AM
CAS

The new Atlanta stadium is going to get a lot of CFB airtime next year.

Alabama vs FL State in the CFB kickoff just might be preseason #1 and #2. Great start.
SEC Championship
Peach Bowl
National Championship
Old 01-10-2017, 09:11 AM
SOA AAA

Quote:
Originally Posted by willel2338 View Post
  • Bama 3-1
  • Florida State 7-1
  • Clemson 18-1
  • Texas 25-1

Notable as Bama plays FSU and Ohio State plays Oklahoma.. 4 of the top 5 teams favored by Vegas face-off in weeks 1 and 2, respectively.
Texas at 25-1 ?!?!? That's a shit bet. That program is a mess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Statatak View Post
what's a JAS
Old 01-10-2017, 09:42 AM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by win diesel View Post
There are hot chicks in Wyoming
And they're pretty nice, both of them.
Old 01-10-2017, 11:03 AM
SOA AAA

Quote:
Originally Posted by willel2338 View Post
  • Bama 3-1
  • Florida State 7-1
  • Clemson 18-1
  • Texas 25-1

Notable as Bama plays FSU and Ohio State plays HOSTS Oklahoma.. 4 of the top 5 teams favored by Vegas face-off in weeks 1 and 2, respectively.
Fixed, 'cause manly teams schedule home-home. They f*** the prom queen.
DTNF's Résumé Advice: Have a good and interesting answer to every item on it for the interviews.
DTNF's Law of Job Offers: You not only have to qualify for the position, but you also have to be the best candidate available for the offer.
DTNF's Work Philosophy: I am actuary. Please insert data. -- Actuary Actuarying Rodriguez.
Twitches' Advice to Crazy Women: Please just go buy your 30 cats already.
Old 01-10-2017, 11:06 AM
SOA AAA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur Itas View Post
The new Atlanta stadium is going to get a lot of CFB airtime next year.

Alabama vs FL State in the CFB kickoff just might be preseason #1 and #2. Great start.
SEC Championship
Peach Bowl
National Championship
Ga Tech vs Tennessee on Labor Day, too.
DTNF's Résumé Advice: Have a good and interesting answer to every item on it for the interviews.
DTNF's Law of Job Offers: You not only have to qualify for the position, but you also have to be the best candidate available for the offer.
DTNF's Work Philosophy: I am actuary. Please insert data. -- Actuary Actuarying Rodriguez.
Old 01-10-2017, 11:08 AM
SOA AAA

Time until the way-too-early Top 25?
I'm guessing today.

Haven't even wiped the French kiss of that Clemson dude off the trophy.