Actuarial Outpost
 
Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Exams - Please Limit Discussion to Exam-Related Topics > SoA/CAS Preliminary Exams > MFE
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Actuarial Jobs by State

New York  New Jersey  Connecticut  Massachusetts 
California  Florida  Texas  Illinois  Colorado


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #251  
Old 11-21-2017, 08:39 PM
ActuariallyDecentAtBest ActuariallyDecentAtBest is offline
SOA
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 19
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyActuary View Post
You have to consider those who just did not want to say how bad they did in this thread. But overall, I think we pretty all over-prepared.
Yeah. This is a small sample space of all the people who are taking this exam. Plus, maybe I feel overconfident that I passed! Haha. Who knows.
Reply With Quote
  #252  
Old 11-21-2017, 11:51 PM
ManuelG ManuelG is offline
CAS SOA
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Studying for MFE
College: Actuarial Science BUAP
Posts: 20
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KD24 View Post
I just took the exam. I guessed on like 6 questions so I'm not really sure if I passed or not. I'm borderline :/
Same here, I'm still a little upset because I lost 30 minutes in two of them, I just couldn't figure out where was my mistake, expected a worst exam but it was fair... like a 5 level ADAPT.

What's your plan for the next two months?
__________________
FM/2
P/1
MFE
Reply With Quote
  #253  
Old 11-22-2017, 12:31 AM
MGKraig MGKraig is offline
SOA
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
College: Boston College '17
Posts: 1
Default

For the sake of everyone thinking the exam was only a level 5 or so, I took the exam earlier today and I would have to say mine was closer to a level 7 or 8. Without getting too specific, they really honed in on some obscure topics. There were also 2-3 problems where I had seen nothing even remotely similar in the manual or on adapt and as a result had no idea how to attack them; these are things that I still don't have a grasp on even after trying to research them for the last 12 hours. For reference, I knew ASM front to back and had an EL of 8.6. Pairing those problems with the ones I had to grind out in the second pass and any trap questions, I'd say my passing odds are about 50/50.
Reply With Quote
  #254  
Old 11-22-2017, 01:44 AM
niiiiiicky niiiiiicky is offline
Member
CAS
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Winery
Posts: 102
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGKraig View Post
For the sake of everyone thinking the exam was only a level 5 or so, I took the exam earlier today and I would have to say mine was closer to a level 7 or 8. Without getting too specific, they really honed in on some obscure topics. There were also 2-3 problems where I had seen nothing even remotely similar in the manual or on adapt and as a result had no idea how to attack them; these are things that I still don't have a grasp on even after trying to research them for the last 12 hours. For reference, I knew ASM front to back and had an EL of 8.6. Pairing those problems with the ones I had to grind out in the second pass and any trap questions, I'd say my passing odds are about 50/50.

Maybe those are pilot questions? Start to panic...
Reply With Quote
  #255  
Old 11-22-2017, 11:11 AM
KD24 KD24 is offline
SOA
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
College: Alumni
Posts: 22
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManuelG View Post
Same here, I'm still a little upset because I lost 30 minutes in two of them, I just couldn't figure out where was my mistake, expected a worst exam but it was fair... like a 5 level ADAPT.

What's your plan for the next two months?
I feel like my exam was a 6/7 level. This waiting period is just torture. I'm honestly not sure what to do because I don't want to just sit around and wait for my results. I'm taking a break until Monday and then I'm going to do my VEE Stats so I can get that done before the changes. After that I think I'm going to start studying for MLC for the April sitting. I'm also planning to take a practice exam or a couple quizzes on MFE once a week until the results come out so that I don't completely forget the material in case I have to retake. Even if I do have to retake in March, I think I'm going to try to do MLC in April so that I don't fall behind. I'm just gonna have to try to manage 2 exams at once for the next couple of months.

What is your plan?
Reply With Quote
  #256  
Old 11-22-2017, 04:52 PM
tkhu tkhu is offline
CAS SOA
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 12
Default

I don't know if it's hard or easy... Totally guessed like 2-3 questions and there are 3-4 questions that I'm 50/50 about. Feels like I'm borderline passing at this point.
Reply With Quote
  #257  
Old 11-22-2017, 06:00 PM
niiiiiicky niiiiiicky is offline
Member
CAS
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Winery
Posts: 102
Default

I guess I got a set of relatively easy problems, finished my first pass with one hour to check, though during the checking I found quite a few tricks in the problems. Are we not allowed to discuss specific exam problem here?
Reply With Quote
  #258  
Old 11-22-2017, 06:03 PM
alittlelife alittlelife is offline
CAS SOA
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 1
Default

Wrote this morning - couldnít get answers for three questions and was on the fence about a few others. Add in a few silly mistakes and I reckon Iíll end up at a five or six.

I thought the exam was fair - around a five or six on Adapt. Nothing really surprised me, there were just a few tough ones where I was probably one ďahaĒ moment away from solving. I was at a level 6 EL for reference.

And now we wait...
Reply With Quote
  #259  
Old 11-22-2017, 06:48 PM
tranta's Avatar
tranta tranta is offline
Member
CAS
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: CA
Studying for MFE
College: UCB
Favorite beer: Blue Moon
Posts: 163
Default

Same experience as the posters above. Relatively straightforward, probably 2 or 3 that I had some trouble on but I think I got atleast 1 of those. I finished the first pass in an hour leaving only 4 blank. Would say level 5 is right, very similar to those questions. Glad I did ADAPT for sure. Got to level 9.8 and took about 20 exams, mainly level 5 and 6, and about 30 quizzes on various topics I was bad at. Would say I passed unless I made careless mistakes.
Reply With Quote
  #260  
Old 11-22-2017, 10:30 PM
ManuelG ManuelG is offline
CAS SOA
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Studying for MFE
College: Actuarial Science BUAP
Posts: 20
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KD24 View Post
I feel like my exam was a 6/7 level. This waiting period is just torture. I'm honestly not sure what to do because I don't want to just sit around and wait for my results. I'm taking a break until Monday and then I'm going to do my VEE Stats so I can get that done before the changes. After that I think I'm going to start studying for MLC for the April sitting. I'm also planning to take a practice exam or a couple quizzes on MFE once a week until the results come out so that I don't completely forget the material in case I have to retake. Even if I do have to retake in March, I think I'm going to try to do MLC in April so that I don't fall behind. I'm just gonna have to try to manage 2 exams at once for the next couple of months.

What is your plan?
yeah I know, I also want to start studying for C for the June sitting and I will be doing some quizzes to don't forget the material of the MFE too but it's hard studying with the same motivation when you don't know the results of the exam.
__________________
FM/2
P/1
MFE
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:36 PM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
*PLEASE NOTE: Posts are not checked for accuracy, and do not
represent the views of the Actuarial Outpost or its sponsors.
Page generated in 0.26198 seconds with 9 queries