Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Exams - Please Limit Discussion to Exam-Related Topics > SoA/CAS Preliminary Exams > MFE
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Old 11-21-2017, 07:38 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patbaker12 View Post
For any of you who are starting to study now, whatever you do, DO NOT buy the ASM 10th edition. It was overly difficult, concepts are very poorly explained, some of the topics are useless, and it is riddled with mistakes. 3 months with ADAPT is better than a year with that god awful manual.
Listen to this everyone^^^^^^
Old 11-22-2017, 02:19 AM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by ActuariallyDecentAtBest View Post
Listen to this everyone^^^^^^
so just do the practice problems from ASM but do not read the chapters?
Old 11-22-2017, 10:58 AM
CAS SOA

Studying for MFE
College: University of Nebraska (alma mater)
Favorite beer: Captain Morgan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patbaker12 View Post
For any of you who are starting to study now, whatever you do, DO NOT buy the ASM 10th edition. It was overly difficult, concepts are very poorly explained, some of the topics are useless, and it is riddled with mistakes. 3 months with ADAPT is better than a year with that god awful manual.
My experience was different. I learned the material pretty quickly with ASM and you never know what will be on the real test. There is also errata online that you can reference.
Old 11-22-2017, 01:06 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by eclipserydr View Post
so just do the practice problems from ASM but do not read the chapters?
It's up to you. I would instead watch the review videos that Coaching Actuaries offers. There are definitely some helpful and straightforward chapters in the ASM Manual, but when you get to the harder topics, the explanations are a bit vague/didn't make sense to me.
Old 11-22-2017, 04:14 PM
SOA

College: UCSD Alumni

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARodOmaha View Post
My experience was different. I learned the material pretty quickly with ASM and you never know what will be on the real test. There is also errata online that you can reference.
Agreed (so far)..... I'm a little more than halfway through.
But I'm also using video lessons from coaching Actuaries .... That and the exercises give me a thorough understanding.

What kind of mistakes are we talking about though, can you give me an example? I see a lot of grammar issues, but I just hope there is no conceptual misinformation.
Old 11-22-2017, 07:47 PM
SOA

College: UConn
Thumbs up

If anyone has just taken MLC and is willing to trade those materials for a 10th edition ASM MFE manual email me at patrick.baker@uconn.edu and we'll work something out. Although I wasn't the biggest fan of this manual, it did its job. After reading the whole thing and doing all the problems it took me a grand total of 4 exams to get and EL of 10 on ADAPT.
Old 11-26-2017, 12:16 PM
SOA

College: UConn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whoaminoneofyourbusiness View Post
How'd you do Pat
1 or 2 questions had me 50-50 but other than that I think I slayed it
Old 11-26-2017, 03:28 PM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by ActuariallyDecentAtBest View Post
It's up to you. I would instead watch the review videos that Coaching Actuaries offers. There are definitely some helpful and straightforward chapters in the ASM Manual, but when you get to the harder topics, the explanations are a bit vague/didn't make sense to me.
are these review videos different than the lecture videos from coaching actuaries?

Also.. i have derivatives markets 3rd edition, and i bought the solutions manual but it only contains even questions. does anyone where to get the odd question answers?
Old 11-26-2017, 09:15 PM
SOA

Do not do the practice exams on ASM. I did 10 of them, failed horribly on most of them, had no idea what will be on the real test. Better use ADAPT.
Old 11-28-2017, 12:30 PM
SOA

How long did it take for you to go through the ASM manual before you started doing practice exams?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARodOmaha View Post
Here's a rundown of my experience with MFE while it's still fresh:

I started studying in May (pretty early). Read the ASM manual 10th edition and then took a few weeks off to do the VEE Applied Statistics. While going through ASM I completed every quiz question and about every third practice problem at the end of the chapters. My philosophy while reading the material is "just keep swimming"; try to understand about 80% of the material and move on.

For the last 90 days I used Adapt. My EL went like: 3.0, 3.8, 3.8, 4.5, 5.9, 5.9, 5.9, and finally 7.5. I felt like all you really need to know are the formulas really really well. There were times my EL was stuck, but as soon as I learned more formulas and shortcuts it moved up. For this exam all you need are the formulas and how to use them. So much easier than Exam MLC. Make sure you know everything about binomial trees and interest rate trees!

I felt confident going into the exam and honestly I may have gotten every question right. Not a single question surprised me. First time through the test I didn't get two answers, marked them and moved on. In the last 15 minutes I was able to get those with pretty high confidence. I feel iffy on one or two answers, but that's about it. I probably over-studied with around 280-300 study hours. The last couple weeks I was just so bored with the material. But at least I'm confident I'll pass; I'll know the results in 8 weeks.

P.S. I also did the SOA released questions. They may have been slightly helpful to see the wording, but they made me unduly stressed out about Greek partial derivatives.

VEE

FAP 1 2 3 pending: ( 4 5 IA 6 7 8 FA)