Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Software & Technology
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Old 03-12-2018, 07:11 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Incredible Hulctuary View Post
Ah, I just saw your post from last week about "pulling the trigger" on that Sony model.

$909 is a really sweet deal, even for open box. Best Buy has it listed $1499 new, vs. $1409 open box (just $90 off, WTF?) or $1199 for scratch & dent.

So I take it that means you've already moved to Chicago and into to your new place.
The prices you quoted are for the 65". I think MM got the 55", which sells new for $999?
Old 03-13-2018, 10:48 AM
SOA AAA

Studying for Japanese
College: B.S. Applied Math
Favorite beer: La Croix Grapefruit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Egghead View Post
The prices you quoted are for the 65". I think MM got the 55", which sells new for $999?
Correct. The open box looked brand new, even the packaging. They may have actually given me a new one. I dunno.
Old 03-13-2018, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathmajor View Post
The upscaling really is good. SNES classic and DirecTV Now look quite nice (although some of the shows on DTVN are not even filmed in HD, but ones that are have great contrast and motion).
How's the input lag?
Old 03-13-2018, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redprinceton View Post
How's the input lag?
Googled it myself.

https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/sony/x900e

Around 30-35ms, or ~2 frames for most SNES games. I could live with that.
Old 03-13-2018, 01:55 PM
SOA AAA

Studying for Japanese
College: B.S. Applied Math
Favorite beer: La Croix Grapefruit

Quote:
Originally Posted by redprinceton View Post
Googled it myself.

https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/sony/x900e

Around 30-35ms, or ~2 frames for most SNES games. I could live with that.
Yeah didn't buy primarily for gaming (got a 144hz gaming monitor for that!) but decided to hook it up to the big screen to try. Was playing it on a 32" 720p cheapo.
Old 03-31-2018, 07:46 AM
Non-Actuary

ATSC 3.0, the standard for 4K OTA content, has already been deployed in some parts of South Korea and could come to the US as soon as soon as the 4th quarter of this year. In the US it will be a voluntary transition, with broadcasters carrying the new standard agreeing to also transmit the current ATSC 1.0 standard for at least 5 years.

So what happened to ATSC 2.0? It was only on paper, and they decided to ditch it when the ATSC 3.0 standard was completed long before ATSC 2.0 became close to being deployed.

ATSC 3.0 will be a hybrid OTA and Internet system, with shows delivered OTA while targeted ads and other such custom information are delivered over the Internet. Tuners will accept a signal both from an antenna and wifi or ethernet, then retransmit throughout your home network (sort of like HDHomeRun).

The downside? The standard allows for DRM, so they could block you from recording content, or even charge money to watch the OTA channels. And the Internet-connected tuner means it can tell the broadcasters what you're watching, and if your Internet connection is down you might not be able to watch anything. Hopefully somebody will come up with a way to spoof the Internet-connected aspect on your local network, so you're not dependent on an always-live connection for non-DRM'd channels.

Last edited by Incredible Hulctuary; 03-31-2018 at 02:09 PM..
Old 03-31-2018, 02:07 PM
CAS

Favorite beer: Stone 11th Anniversary Ale

I sort of hate the future.
Old 03-31-2018, 09:20 PM
SOA

Just bought the 65" Sony A1E OLED. Found out about a website called greentoe and saved $1K over current sale prices at Best Buy and Amazon.

Somebody on avsforum posted this, which was incredibly useful in deciding on the Sony vs. waiting for the new LG OLED to come down in price:

Quote:
At a high level:
1) The near black detail, noise, posterization is fixed on the LG and looks essentially identical to my Sony A1E after calibration. Nothing is perfect but in my opinion, it's good enough given the limitations of WLED.

2) Motion processing is still superior on the Sony. The LG does a great job and has improved for 2018. They did implement BFI but the slight flicker in brighter scenes might be annoying to watch.

3) Upscaling of cable, etc, is still superior on the Sony although LG has improved a lot here but in my opinion, they messed up by including the gradient and noise controls combined in one control.

4) HDR on the LG is noticeably brighter than the A1E probably due to the about 100-150 nits brighter panel this year. HDR tone mapping has completely changed and in my opinion is a lot better. LG really focuses on HDR and it is hard to beat.

5) DV processing on the LG is improved and pretty much matches the Sony. It's close enough with the Sony maybe having a slight edge in brightness due to processing.

6) ABL management on the LG is superior. With normal content the Sony and the LG look pretty much the same but when the screen exceeds a certain amount of overall white, like in a commercial, the LG is able to maintain that bright white screen while the Sony can't. You can really only notice this when you have the two sets side by side.
I'm going to have it in a dark room, so brightness isn't that big a deal to me. But motion and upscaling are important. And I like being able to make out the details in shadows. Sounds like the new LG may have solved that last difference, but not the other two.
Old 04-02-2018, 11:06 AM
SOA

I'm now suffering buyer's remorse. The TV hasn't arrived yet (heck, I don't know when it will be delivered). Even with my savings, it's more than $1k higher than I could have paid for a 65" Sony X900E. Yes, I definitely see a difference in the two, but it's like I'm frustrated with myself for wanting to spend that much more for a difference that many people would consider relatively negligible.

But then, we all have our things we splurge on. So I'm justifying it that way to myself.
Old 04-02-2018, 11:33 AM
SOA

I always have buyer's remorse during the period where I've parted with my money but don't yet have my item. Usually abates when it arrives.