Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Software & Technology
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

2017 ACTUARIAL SALARY SURVEYS
Contact DW Simpson for a Personalized Salary Survey

Old 01-26-2015, 12:35 PM
Non-Actuary

Plasma will eliminate motion blur, so if that is a concern and and you can control the incoming light in the room, I'd say save your money and get a 51- or 60-inch plasma while they're still available, then watch and wait to see how 4K develops in the next few years.

Otherwise, if you become an earlier adopter of 4K, you may be unable to view future 4K content in 4K because the TV doesn't comply with the yet-to-be-implemented stronger DRM for "protecting" 4K, like those early adopters of pre-HDCP HDTVs who can't view current HD content unless they get something to strip out the DRM.
Old 01-26-2015, 12:39 PM
SOA

Yeah, I thought about plasma. But those run too hot for my bedroom (which I struggle to keep cool enough year-round) and wouldn't work with all the windows in my family room.
Old 01-26-2015, 12:43 PM
Non-Actuary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Egghead View Post
Yeah, I thought about plasma. But those run too hot for my bedroom (which I struggle to keep cool enough year-round) and wouldn't work with all the windows in my family room.
Heat was a problem with older plasmas, but modern plasmas aren't much hotter than LCDs. Visit a store and check them out for yourself. They've done a lot to cut down the heat emissions and energy expenditure of plasma TVs.
Old 01-27-2015, 10:31 AM

I believe that in the USA, OTA networks don't even broadcast in 1080p yet.

If you play games, the new consoles (Xbox, PS4, and Wii U) are probably going to be doing 1080p for the rest of their run.

I don't know if any streaming services (Prime, Netflix, Vudu) have any designs on streaming 4K anytime soon. Youtube already does, but I think their apps for devices like Playstation, Apple Tv, and Chromecast are stuck at 1080p, at least for now.

Depending upon the avenue through which you consume your media, you probably have a several years until you start getting 4K content.

By then 4K will probably be a dime a dozen like 1080p is now.

I imagine that earlier adopters of "HD Ready" TVs got burned pretty bad because as good or better TVs were much cheaper by the time 1080p became ubiquitous.
Old 01-27-2015, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redprinceton View Post

If you play games, the new consoles (Xbox, PS4, and Wii U) are probably going to be doing 1080p for the rest of their run.

I don't know if any streaming services (Prime, Netflix, Vudu) have any designs on streaming 4K anytime soon. Youtube already does, but I think their apps for devices like Playstation, Apple Tv, and Chromecast are stuck at 1080p, at least for now.

Depending upon the avenue through which you consume your media, you probably have a several years until you start getting 4K content.

I imagine that earlier adopters of "HD Ready" TVs got burned pretty bad because as good or better TVs were much cheaper by the time 1080p became ubiquitous.
I thought OTA was in 1080p...is it just 720p? My OTA HD signal looks better than my cable HD signal.

Also, I thought the PS4 is capable of handling 4k content...and didn't netflix just recently announce that they will have a 4k streaming option?
Old 01-27-2015, 11:34 AM
CAS

Favorite beer: Stone 11th Anniversary Ale

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Biz View Post
I thought OTA was in 1080p...is it just 720p? My OTA HD signal looks better than my cable HD signal.
It is either 720p or 1080i. Most TVs are good at scaling/deinterlacing, so it doesn't matter too much.

As for OTA vs cable, the main issue there is compression. OTA fits 2-3 HD streams into one channel worth of bandwidth while cable and satellite are fitting something like 5-15 streams into one channel worth of bandwidth. Compressing to 50% is no big deal and looks great. Compressing to 10% looks terrible and it is shameful they do it.
Old 01-27-2015, 11:43 AM
SOA AAA

Favorite beer: Sam Smith Oatmeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Egghead View Post
Disregard. I just found a 55" Samsung 1080p for $594 with free shipping while looking at slickdeals. The folks on there are positively glowing about how good a deal this is.

http://slickdeals.net/f/7620118-55-s...ping?#comments

With this little money spent, I won't feel bad replacing it when 4k content becomes more available and the sets are cheaper.
I think that was the right call. We bought a Samsung 55" 9000 Series 4k thing this summer. It's more TV than I wanted, long story about why it came home with us. And I like it, the color quality is good, the blacks are reasonably black (in before 'that's racist), and the definition is quite nice. But compatibility concerns and the price... it wasn't exactly a wise choice.
Old 01-27-2015, 11:55 AM

Studying for your mom
Favorite beer: Schlitz

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Biz View Post
That's because the cable company compresses the hell out of it. Bitrate is more important than resolution
Old 01-27-2015, 12:01 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by redprinceton View Post

I think Netflix announced something about 4K streaming at CES.
Old 01-27-2015, 12:20 PM
SOA

Netflix has been streaming 4K content for a while. Back in October, they ticked off 4K TV owners as they raised the fees for accessing 4K content.