Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Software & Technology
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Actuarial Jobs by State

New York  New Jersey  Connecticut  Massachusetts 
California  Florida  Texas  Illinois  Colorado

Old 09-07-2017, 12:52 PM
CAS AAA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Egghead View Post
I bought a new receiver just a few months ago, and it's Atmos ready.
Atmos is pretty amazing when done well. Just really enveloping sound that draws you in.

Quote:
Is the dimming much of a problem? My in-law's plasma doesn't show any evidence of dimming yet. On OLED, I heard the dimming was really a problem with the greens, and specifically on the Samsung OLEDs, which are no longer in production. But I could be wrong, as I haven't done a ton of research.
Doesn't look like it. LG says their TVs are rated for 100,000 hours now, so even if they dim at an exponential rate you'll probably be ready for a new set before it truly affects the picture. I will say that like plasma, they are best in rooms without ambient light because they aren't as bright as LCD/LED based sets. This also means their HDR performance might not pop quite as much as LCD/LED, since HDR relies heavily on peak brightness. If you remember that deep plasma black, then OLED is the only way to go.
Old 09-07-2017, 06:09 PM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by sticks1839 View Post
If you remember that deep plasma black, then OLED is the only way to go.
good to know, thanks. not in the market now, but a good plasma-like picture is important to me when the time comes
Old 09-07-2017, 11:05 PM
SOA

I'm finding I like the Sony OLED over the LG OLED. Does a better job of not "crushing the blacks." (What does that mean? It's a term I just learned in my reading, used to describe something I didn't like about LG OLED's, which is their tendency to make everything dark in a scene appear completely black, rather than showing details in shadows. Some of you undoubtedly already knew this term, but thought I'd define it for anybody like me who never heard it before.)

Unfortunately, the Sony is $1k more than the LG. And its OS is sluggish, unreliable and not intuitive.

So now I'm wondering if I just wait another year for a set to come along that does everything well. The LG's apparently got a lot better from last year to this year on the whole black crushing issue. Maybe with the competition they're getting from Sony this year, they'll up their game even more in this aspect next year. Because if the LG didn't crush the blacks, I think I'd be picking one up within the year.
Old 09-11-2017, 12:18 PM
CAS AAA

Quote:
I'm finding I like the Sony OLED over the LG OLED. Does a better job of not "crushing the blacks."
Where did you compare them? Did you try adjusting picture settings? I ask because "crushing the blacks" should not be a problem for OLED that can't be fixed by increasing brightness control and tweaking contrast as you do until you find the right balance. You can pull that shadow detail out on almost any TV, but typically the "blacks" become very gray when you do. OLED shouldn't have that problem at all.

I couldn't find any online reviews that talked about the LG having trouble with shadow detail or giving the edge to the Sony in that regard. It's still early for this tech though, and now with more than one player, they should improve every year.
Old 09-11-2017, 02:40 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by sticks1839 View Post
Where did you compare them? Did you try adjusting picture settings? I ask because "crushing the blacks" should not be a problem for OLED that can't be fixed by increasing brightness control and tweaking contrast as you do until you find the right balance. You can pull that shadow detail out on almost any TV, but typically the "blacks" become very gray when you do. OLED shouldn't have that problem at all.

I couldn't find any online reviews that talked about the LG having trouble with shadow detail or giving the edge to the Sony in that regard. It's still early for this tech though, and now with more than one player, they should improve every year.
YouTube. There is this guy who calibrates TVs and does in-depth reviews. He specifically compares the Sony A1E to one of the new LGs (I think the C7). He says the difference comes from the fact that both TVs can only show so many "nits" of brightness, and Sony has set up their sets to "clip" the highlights but show more shadow detail, while LG has gone the opposite route.

Folks on AVSForum suggest exactly what you did, with the tweaking of brightness and contrast. This was particularly critical on the 2016 models of LG sets, but has improved significantly on the 2017 sets. Still, folks who want more details in the shadows are finding that even a few points increase in brightness is enough to start uncovering "noise" rather than details in those shadows, as the "absolute blacks" start becoming "really dark gray" instead.
Old 09-12-2017, 12:59 PM
CAS

Favorite beer: Stone 11th Anniversary Ale

Just slightly off-topic, but OMG, I just learned about CEC. It is an HDMI protocol that most TVs and other HDMI connected electronics have built in that allow you to control everything with one remote without having to do the old-school "programming."

Specifically, we've had a full-sized keyboard sitting on our coffee table for years to control the Kodi media center I've got hooked up. I went in and turned on CEC in the TV's setting and now I can select movies and move around on Kodi with the TV's remote.

I feel like such an idiot for not knowing about this.
Old 09-12-2017, 01:16 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahow View Post
Just slightly off-topic, but OMG, I just learned about CEC. It is an HDMI protocol that most TVs and other HDMI connected electronics have built in that allow you to control everything with one remote without having to do the old-school "programming."

Specifically, we've had a full-sized keyboard sitting on our coffee table for years to control the Kodi media center I've got hooked up. I went in and turned on CEC in the TV's setting and now I can select movies and move around on Kodi with the TV's remote.

I feel like such an idiot for not knowing about this.
I'm somewhat scared to look into this. The amount I have spent on universal remotes can't have been for naught.
Trump's biggest weakness is that he utterly lacks the knowledge, experience, interest, attention span, temperament, and common decency to be the marginally effective President of a reasonably-large HOA.
Old 09-12-2017, 01:25 PM
CAS

Favorite beer: Stone 11th Anniversary Ale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Childish Gambino View Post
I'm somewhat scared to look into this. The amount I have spent on universal remotes can't have been for naught.
I'm guessing it will depend on what you use it for. On mine, so far the D-pad, Enter, and Back buttons work. I've not noticed any other buttons, but then again, I don't do much other than that.
Old 09-12-2017, 02:50 PM

I'm thinking I'll be getting a 65" 4K TV. Samsung/LG/Sony all have HDR models around $1500.

Is the HDR worth the $400-500 upgrade?

Is the next generation worth waiting for?

What about Vizio?
Old 09-12-2017, 03:50 PM
SOA

Apple announced Apple TV 4K today. This just adds to the temptation to get a 4K set...

https://www.apple.com/newsroom/2017/...th-4k-and-hdr/