Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Cyberchat > Sports
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Salary Surveys
Property & Casualty, Life, Health & Pension

Health Actuary Jobs
Insurance & Consulting jobs for Students, Associates & Fellows

Actuarial Recruitment
Visit DW Simpson's website for more info.
www.dwsimpson.com/about

Casualty Jobs
Property & Casualty jobs for Students, Associates & Fellows

Old 06-26-2019, 10:15 AM
CAS

Studying for Prostate exam
College: Hard Knocks
Default ESPN+

Anyone here subscribe to ESPN+? Care to post a review on content and quality?

I’ve been considering signing up. Content they have that I am most interested in:
US Open Cup, MLS, Serie A, FA Cup, MLB

College sports, NHL, and tennis might be appealing to some but are not high on my list. I might occasionally watch EFL.

$5/mo seems like a relative bargain. I’m probably going to give it a try anyway.
Old 06-26-2019, 10:34 AM

it's a great value. I don't see how they'll be able to keep it $5/mo long-term, so you might as well get it now.

the sheer number of random/obscure games they stream makes it incredible for gamblers. right now they're airing Wimbledon Qualifying and New Jersey vs. Illinois NCAA Baseball. I'm amazed at what other stuff is usually available and it's not even football or basketball season
Old 06-26-2019, 10:41 AM
CAS SOA

I got it for my dad when he was visiting because our cable subscription didn't meet his MLB viewing needs.

I was a bit underwhelmed by the content - I thought he would have access to non-stop live baseball games, but it seemed like he only got one game in the morning, and maybe a choice of two in the evening. I thought there would be a lot more available, but maybe that's just me being naive. It did seem like they had a lot of other stuff that he wasn't interested in (college games, women's softball, soccer,..).
Old 06-26-2019, 10:45 AM
SOA

College: University of South Carolina
Favorite beer: Sours

I've been thinking about it but I'm unsure if it's worth without canceling my MLB.tv subscription. I pay $100 a season to watch Braves games from wherever and listen to day games at work. Would be okay with adding it for basically every reason Arthur mentioned as long as I get good broadcasts still, even if it means giving up audio streaming.

Does anyone watch for MLB and have any comment of quality?
Old 06-26-2019, 10:51 AM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by panther View Post
it's a great value. I don't see how they'll be able to keep it $5/mo long-term, so you might as well get it now.

the sheer number of random/obscure games they stream makes it incredible for gamblers. right now they're airing Wimbledon Qualifying and New Jersey vs. Illinois NCAA Baseball. I'm amazed at what other stuff is usually available and it's not even football or basketball season
I’m sure price will eventually go up as all things do, but I don’t know that it will go up a lot.

Per the linked article below, $5 is about what they charged for their cable content packages in 2011. That busted $9 total in 2017, a very expensive piece of total cable and part of why many started cord cutting. For comparison fox sports networks cost less than $2 in 2017.
https://www.businessinsider.com/cabl...etworks-2017-3

ESPN is still raking in their regular fee from many cable/satellite/ streaming packages and now can get sports junkies to pay them another $5 on top of that.

I wish they had called it the Ocho though.
Old 06-26-2019, 11:23 AM
SOA AAA

I'd rather not be one of the people who encourages them to push important content (FA Cup, Copa America right now, Copa Del Oro) to streaming while ESPN and ESPN2 are showing Bass Fishing (literally belongs on a stream, amirite?) or Cornhole championships.

Mainly, because I'd rather watch all my programs when I want, at my chosen speed and using my skipping ability.

"45 es un titere" -- Seal of The President of The United States of America protest art

“That is reminiscent of Harry Truman’s famous saying, ‘The buck stops, uh, somewhere over there, maybe?' That is a level of dodging responsibility that Trump has been perfecting ever since he was very much not in Vietnam.” -- LWTwJO
Old 06-26-2019, 12:01 PM
SOA AAA

I have thought about getting it for a few months, and I feel like I am going to cave come July for the USOC quarters.
You're a Master of Karate
And friendship
For Everyone
Old 06-26-2019, 12:20 PM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr T Non-Fan View Post
I'd rather not be one of the people who encourages them to push important content (FA Cup, Copa America right now, Copa Del Oro) to streaming while ESPN and ESPN2 are showing Bass Fishing (literally belongs on a stream, amirite?) or Cornhole championships.

Mainly, because I'd rather watch all my programs when I want, at my chosen speed and using my skipping ability.
Most do not share your opinion that all sports are best watched a few days after they happen on faster speed.

FA Cup to ESPN+ is a done deal on a multiyear basis. Sucks, but if you want to watch it that's your option. You can enjoy protesting it I guess.

Gold Cup and Copa America are included with most TV packages now. I've been watching both. If you really want the ESPN announcers for Copa America I guess you need ESPN+, but I can't imagine most care enough about the announcing team to do that. I don't.

Agree that much of what's on ESPN and ESPN2 now is junk.
Old 06-26-2019, 12:38 PM
SOA AAA

It's not "a few days." Just when I get home from work, after actively not checking the internet. Or, an hour delayed, catching up, watching something else for an hour, then going back to it. Pretty easy.

Gold Cup is on Fox, so no problem.
Copa America is on Telemundo, so no problemo.

And, yeah, not watching The Biggest Cup Tournament In The World. Too bad for me, but I do have a half-full TiVo.

"45 es un titere" -- Seal of The President of The United States of America protest art

“That is reminiscent of Harry Truman’s famous saying, ‘The buck stops, uh, somewhere over there, maybe?' That is a level of dodging responsibility that Trump has been perfecting ever since he was very much not in Vietnam.” -- LWTwJO
Old 06-26-2019, 03:01 PM
CAS

The one I am still pissed about is beIN getting dropped by Comcast. I periodically complain to both, as that was one of the channels I watched a lot as they have a US exclusive for LaLiga.

I gather they are a casualty of providers trying to push along higher content charges to cable, and cable starting to push back on some given so many people are cutting the cord due to the inflated prices. Comcast can try to bully beIN as there aren't as many that really want that network, but has a harder time pushing back on big guys like ESPN.