Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > General Actuarial
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Not looking for a job? Tell us about your ideal job,
and we'll only contact you when it opens up.
https://www.dwsimpson.com/register

General Actuarial Non-Specific Actuarial Topics - Before posting a thread, please browse over our other sections to see if there is a better fit, such as Careers - Employment, Actuarial Science Universities Forum or any of our other 100+ forums.

Old 10-23-2014, 12:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by illiniActuary View Post
Damn, the rest of the world must think we're crazy. Why do we hate life this much
Old 10-26-2014, 01:50 PM
CAS

I am a mother of 2 and work full time. I study during the day when I have lunch break. It is true that at work you may miss some socialization. Also you may bombarded with other's sympathy for being a parent. I got used to it. I will study during their homework time. For me my kids are motivation for me to study. My spouse do all the other chores, cooking, cleaning. Being a parent, this is the chance to show them how good you are on what you chose to do.
Old 10-27-2014, 07:47 PM
CAS

Studying for 6
College: Iowa State University
Favorite beer: Mountain Dew

I have a toddler and am pregnant with the second, due a month from today!

I agree with what an earlier poster said, and that's to schedule everything. It sucks, but it works. You're not going to be able to cram in hours, but 2-3 hours a day every day for a few months adds up!

For me, my daughter is in bed at 7, and then my husband and I spend 15 minutes cleaning up everything. After that, I study for 2 hours and then bed. I also study at work over my lunch break (and any work study hours). On weekends, I can get about 5 hours in per day by studying during her nap, during a 2 hour window when my husband watches her, and after she goes to bed.
Old 10-28-2014, 09:36 AM

I also had kids while studying.

For me organization and planning was the key. Similar to what others have said a good schedule was key.

I found that creating a long term schedule really helped. I would determine up front how many hours I was dedicating to studying for a given exam. (Honestly I always had a 'goal' and then a second number half to 2/3 of that that was my realistic number.) Working backward from the test date I would schedule both the work and personal study time for each day and week. Then based on that I would allocate the material, review time and practice tests I wanted to do for the exam to that time. Similar to how I always figured teachers do with lesson planning, each week was allocated to specific topics or sections.

This allowed me to make sure all the material was covered even if I didn't cover all of it in as much depth or detail as I wanted. If I didn't get my study time in one week, that meant that material wasn't getting looked at as much as I wanted but I had to move on to the next topic. If there was extra time at the end then I would go back. What I typically found on the multiple choice exams was that by the end of the material the items I missed in the beginning were easier since I understood the more complex material from the end.

Additionally, make sure you have the right calculator for each exam. I think you should easily be able to do the work from FM with any calculator but having the calculator with the built-in functions to the interest, PV and FV will definitely help in solving the problems quickly.
Old 11-03-2014, 01:45 PM
SOA

Hi,

I completely relate with you..I have a toddler and I am working full time and want to take MLC in May 2015. But all the suggestions really helped me and I am planning to make a schedule based on the suggestions.

Thanks everyone!

Tags
study help