Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Software & Technology
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Old 08-21-2018, 03:16 PM
CAS

College: UNC-Chapel Hill Alum
Favorite beer: Red Oak

Always been an xbox person. That being said, the PS4 was unquestionably better than the original xbox one in just about every way. As i understand it, the latest xbox 'one x' may have gained back the performance lead. I con't confirm this from my own experience though. If you're making your first choice, the thing to consider imo is dedicated game titles. IE God of War vs. Halo. Do you prefer one? One is only for PS, the other xbox.

ETA: basically what everyone else said about multiplayer vs not.
Old 08-21-2018, 03:22 PM
CAS

Studying for the credential

Monster Hunter PS4 looks sick. I think it's sold out everywhere.

Old 08-21-2018, 03:38 PM
SOA AAA

Studying for Japanese
College: B.S. Applied Math
Favorite beer: La Croix Grapefruit

That is an idea - invest in a better gaming PC. Hook said gaming PC up to my 4k TV and game that way. Current setup will not game in 4k.

A much more expensive option, however.
Old 08-21-2018, 04:24 PM
CAS

Agree with things mentioned. Given that the computer is your standard gaming platform, primary considerations are exclusives (imo Playstation is the clear winner in this category*) and what your friends own if online gaming is a major concern. Comparing the performance and graphics of the two systems is a pointless argument imo. They're both fantastic.

I've always considered Nintendo separately from PS/Xbox. It just appeals to a different audience, I guess it just falls under the "exclusives" consideration. If you're looking to get amazing graphics on your TV then Nintendo seems like a poor choice.

*Not fanboyism. I owned a 360 and got some good use out of it through college. Now I mostly play games on Steam, but I did buy a PS4 and I've enjoyed playing some of the titles I missed like Uncharted and The Last of Us. For current Gen exclusives I've heard just about nothing from Xbox while I can name multiple PS exclusives that I'd love to play. Maybe Sony just has better advertising? Seriously the only XBox exclusives I can think of are Halo and Gears of War, and only because I played them on the 360. I don't think I could name one from the current Gen.
Old 08-21-2018, 05:43 PM
SOA AAA

Studying for FSA

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathmajor View Post
That is an idea - invest in a better gaming PC. Hook said gaming PC up to my 4k TV and game that way. Current setup will not game in 4k.

A much more expensive option, however.
IMHO 4K on a 60" tv is the same pixels-per-inch as 1080p on a 30" monitor... why bother?
Old 08-21-2018, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polak View Post
Agree with things mentioned. Given that the computer is your standard gaming platform, primary considerations are exclusives (imo Playstation is the clear winner in this category*) and what your friends own if online gaming is a major concern. Comparing the performance and graphics of the two systems is a pointless argument imo. They're both fantastic.

I've always considered Nintendo separately from PS/Xbox. It just appeals to a different audience, I guess it just falls under the "exclusives" consideration. If you're looking to get amazing graphics on your TV then Nintendo seems like a poor choice.

*Not fanboyism. I owned a 360 and got some good use out of it through college. Now I mostly play games on Steam, but I did buy a PS4 and I've enjoyed playing some of the titles I missed like Uncharted and The Last of Us. For current Gen exclusives I've heard just about nothing from Xbox while I can name multiple PS exclusives that I'd love to play. Maybe Sony just has better advertising? Seriously the only XBox exclusives I can think of are Halo and Gears of War, and only because I played them on the 360. I don't think I could name one from the current Gen.
MS has said they only see consoles making it one more generation, so they're trying to play nice with PC. I think they're trying to make Xbox exclusives less exclusive to draw gamers to the Windows store and into their ecosystem.

It's been a while since I've shopped consoles, but here's how I would rank things:
Power/graphics: PC>>>Current Xbox>Current PS4>PS4>Xbox>Switch
Exclusives: PC>>>PS4>=Switch>Xbox
Convenience of playing on a couch: Xbox=PS4=Switch>PC
As a media center: Xbox>PS4>PC>Switch
Old 08-21-2018, 06:40 PM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Funk View Post
MS has said they only see consoles making it one more generation, so they're trying to play nice with PC. I think they're trying to make Xbox exclusives less exclusive to draw gamers to the Windows store and into their ecosystem.

It's been a while since I've shopped consoles, but here's how I would rank things:
Power/graphics: PC>>>Current Xbox>Current PS4>PS4>Xbox>Switch
Exclusives: PC>>>PS4>=Switch>Xbox
Convenience of playing on a couch: Xbox=PS4=Switch>PC
As a media center: Xbox>PS4>PC>Switch
Ability to make kids on an airplane jealous: Switch >>> Xbox=PS4=PC
Old 08-22-2018, 10:04 AM
CAS

Studying for the credential

How often do you guys upgrade PC parts?
Do you guys ever get a bigger/better PC chasis?

I'm asking these questions because I want to build a computer that I know it can last and stay up to date in terms of performance. I feel like new graphics card, for example, come out once 1 to 2 years. Would the previous ones feel outdated when playing newer games that demand more power?

Old 08-22-2018, 10:20 AM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronaldy27 View Post
How often do you guys upgrade PC parts?
Do you guys ever get a bigger/better PC chasis?

I'm asking these questions because I want to build a computer that I know it can last and stay up to date in terms of performance. I feel like new graphics card, for example, come out once 1 to 2 years. Would the previous ones feel outdated when playing newer games that demand more power?
I've been considering building my own PC. A few years ago I made a list of parts but never pulled the trigger. I have a mid-level laptop that plays games fine, but with some newer games I have to lower the graphics settings. I'll certainly need to make a new list, I'm sure everything is better now and I'm less concerned about price limitations now that I make FCAS money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Childish Gambino View Post
Seeing as how I've never built a PC, and don't really know much about the hardware, would people recommend not going crazy? How likely am I to ruin thousands of dollars of parts?
Old 08-22-2018, 10:25 AM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polak View Post
I've been considering building my own PC. A few years ago I made a list of parts but never pulled the trigger. I have a mid-level laptop that plays games fine, but with some newer games I have to lower the graphics settings. I'll certainly need to make a new list, I'm sure everything is better now and I'm less concerned about price limitations now that I make FCAS money.

Seeing as how I've never built a PC, and don't really know much about the hardware, would people recommend not going crazy? How likely am I to ruin thousands of dollars of parts?
You won't "ruin" parts as long as you're not trying to bend things into place or eating soup while assembling it.
Spoiler:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kangaz wit Attitude View Post
Force of habit, 2pac's been typing "88" a LOT since Trump got elected.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMO View Post
You ought to see the bush. It's impressive.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikachu
10:53 pm: some ppl dont take advices well
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayo fan
9:45 pm: ao fan would be hot covered in mayo!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snikelfritz
if you'd like I can come visit and dress up like a girl and get in some fights
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaner3339 View Post
i think everyone needs to do this type of thing to get a dose of reality and straighten people up. it's kinda like going to the mountains and becoming a monk except it's with hundreds of potatoes and a lot of stoners with tattoos in a kitchen