Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Software & Technology
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Salary Surveys
Property & Casualty, Life, Health & Pension

Health Actuary Jobs
Insurance & Consulting jobs for Students, Associates & Fellows

Actuarial Recruitment
Visit DW Simpson's website for more info.
www.dwsimpson.com/about

Casualty Jobs
Property & Casualty jobs for Students, Associates & Fellows

Old 04-28-2018, 07:41 PM
James Washer / Notes Contributor
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-roy View Post
Hello Bama G! Long time no see imo!

We help people pass actuarial exams.

Follow us on Twitter, Facebook, and LinkedIn.

Old 04-29-2018, 10:30 AM
CAS AAA

Favorite beer: Hefewizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abelian Grape View Post
i should look into using onenote. i used to use a bunch of notepad .txt files scattered all over. i only recently upgraded to sticky notes.
If you like sticky notes - Trello may be a digital solution for you.
Old 08-01-2018, 08:42 AM
Meme-ber                         Meme-ber
CAS

Favorite beer: Allagash Curieux

I just got a new laptop at work that has Windows 10 - so no more Sticky Notes

I feel like OneNote is the way of the future and would prefer to start using that. Anyone have any good template OneNote files I can look at to see its potentials?

Right now I'm basically just using it like sticky notes.
Old 08-02-2018, 09:49 AM
SOA

My first version of OneNote came with a template, which I found very useful. To make it most useful, you want lots and lots of pages within lots of tabs. And you can put a hyperlink on one to take you to another. When I took advantage of all that, it was really darn useful.

I found it best to set up over the Christmas break, when I was nearly the only one in the office. For a few months following that Christmas, I felt more organized than ever. But it's easy to let it fall into disuse, and then you feel like you have to do a TON of catching up.

At least, that was my experience. But I do think I'll try again this Christmas.
Old 08-03-2018, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Incredible Hulctuary View Post
I need software for staying awake at work.
coffee.com?
Old 08-03-2018, 05:15 PM
CAS

I used to use a white board. I had a section for every project, and updated the top couple of to-dos/deadlines from time to time. But it kept me from forgetting about whole work streams (which I can do, too.)

Then I lost my office and the white board.

How are y'all using OneNote?
Old 08-07-2018, 03:13 AM

We use asana.
Old 08-07-2018, 09:10 AM
CAS

College: Ardnox
Favorite beer: The kind with alcohol

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeppermintPatty View Post
How are y'all using OneNote?
I've been using OneNote ever since I was introduced to it, although the exact way I use it has evolved. I hate paper, so OneNote ends up being the tool I use in lieu of dead-tree notebooks, collections of clipped articles to read, personal files, diaries, planners, etc.

For organization/planning purposes, my efforts currently center on two pages: a home page that sounds equivalent to your whiteboard, and a perpetual calendar.

My current home page in OneNote is made up of two tables:

The first table is a 52 or 53 grid where I make notes on my intended high-level to-do's for the week (or two) as I try to fit the week together. This table gets refreshed during the hour I block off at the end of every week for personal review/planning .

The second table is analogous to your white-board: One column per project/major function, with mid-level deadlines, milestones, tasks going underneath. You can use OneNote's internal bullet/checkbox set if you need it; or you have the option of creating tasks linked to Outlook if you're using Outlook and the full desktop version of OneNote.

For this project table, I find that I can keep 4 projects on a row comfortably with my monitor width (your mileage may vary)...so the top row of my project table is "Routine Duties" and my current top 3 projects. Lower priority / further-out projects/goals go on lower rows, which sometimes means that I only look at them during my weekly review/planning time.

I've also gotten in the habit of keeping a long-range calendar on the page immediately following my project table. This calendar has 10 columns: Weekly objectives, week ID, seven days, and notes. This calendar gets major deadlines/milestones, holidays, travel, my PTO, team member vacations, etc. I have to use colors to code different information, or else it can be too much to look at.

I have mixed thoughts about this calendar page, as it feels redundant with the project page and Outlook / as I don't like duplicating information / because I have to scroll around too much...but it's proving to be useful for balancing longer-range planning.

Prior to the calendar page, I just kept a simple, short two column table on my home page, which had future weekly objectives for the next few weeks described in a couple of words. That was simpler/easier, but suffered from having one or two weeks where I got overloaded...so I switched to a planning calendar format.

I tweak my organization system once or twice a year, depending on how my needs evolve, and how whatever I'm doing is working for me. What I have at the moment is reasonably OK for me given current duties / given my current role being dominated by long-term project work. It may or may not work for others, depending on their style and function.

Last edited by Maphisto's Sidekick; 08-07-2018 at 11:22 AM..
Old 08-07-2018, 09:14 AM
Non-Actuary

Favorite beer: the one you're buying me

Anyone use Evernote?
Old 08-07-2018, 10:02 AM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maphisto's Sidekick View Post
I've been using OneNote ever since I was introduced to it, although the exact way I use it has evolved. ...
Thanks